NAD: Supro Tremoverb

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by ruger9, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    25W, no master volume. 6973 power tubes, which I think are like 6V6s?

I have a PRRI, but always felt it could use more mids. And better OD when cranked up. That, friends, is the Tremoverb.

Even tho it's 25 watts, they aren't loud watts, and I'd say it's more in the Princeton volume range than Deluxe Reverb. It's like a Princeton, but fatter and smoother, with better overdrive. More old-school sounding. Maybe that makes it more like the brown/blonde era Fenders? IDK. It's got:
    -less treble than PR
    -same amount of bass as PR
    -more mids than PR.
    -better/smoother OD when cranked (I always thought PRs sound like crap when cranked, they excel at clean sounds.,)

Also- with my Gretsch/Filtertrons-
    it mates better than the PRRI does. Those pickups have alot of highs and lows. The PRRI has alot of highs and lows. I find the MIDS of the Supro better compliment the Gretsch. And no- "just turn the treble down" on the PRRI is NOT the same thing... I know alot of people here will think those comments sacrilege, but you have to bear in mind- I am not EVER going for a Chet Atkins tone. If that's what "That Great Gretsch Sound!" is, I'm not interested. I always like a little grit, I like fatness, and I like NON-ice-pick trebles. The Supro delivers on that very well, with the Hot Rod/Filtertrons. As well as the tele.

Obligatory pic-or-it-didn't-happen, sorry it's with the tele and not the Gretsch

Supro.jpg

pmac11, Waxhead, Ricochet and 10 others like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, I love the anesthetics of these amps but have never had a chance to try one.

ruger9 likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    ...it didn't put me to sleep LOL...

Aesthetics... lol but yeah. They seem to be hard to find in shops, even tho they advertise up the wazoo in the guitar mags.... I just got lucky, local GC had one I stumbled across online

pmac11 and Henry like this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I had one of those. It’s sounds KILLER when it’s cranked!
    I often regret selling it.
    Congrats!

ruger9 likes this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Nice! Congrats

ruger9 likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
    Nice amp.!

ruger9 likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    A beauty!

ruger9 likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations Mantis , enjoy

ruger9 likes this.
  9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I like em, wonder if I should have got the tremo verb, but I got a Coronado (great but just way too loud) and the Supreme. That's still loud atc25w and I still need an od pedal for breakup. But it's small, easy to carry around and loud enough for any gig with a drummer

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, never played one but seems a nice amp!

ruger9 likes this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I toyed with the idea of getting one of their models with a master volume, but... I would have to bought it online, and I had no real idea what these amps sound like. Also, over the years I seem to prefer my Gretsch into amps withOUT master volumes, for some reason. But that's a discussion for another thread!

12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    BTW this guy is the reason I got on this "quest" only 3 days ago...LOL. It's the fastest I've gone from "What amp?" to "It's sitting in my house" LOL.

Tele295 likes this.
  13. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
  14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Congratualtions @ruger9 :):cool::cool::cool:...

... From a Guy who bought recently its little brother the 1605R "Reverb 64" :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been really disappointed by the "Saturn" 1648RT and "Jupiter" 1668Rt Supro RI amps I tested in my local shop, and the "Reverb 1964" 1605R was a so good surprise that I bought it...

That said, I missed the "Tremo-Verb" 1622RT, that sold before I could test it - maybe because conversely to its bigger brothers it sounded right ! o_O;)

A+!

Waxhead and ruger9 like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Congrats - I've never played a Supro but they look great.

Good review of the Princeton too.
    I agree they're classic Fender one trick ponies :)

ruger9 likes this.
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It seems very few people have played the new Supros, even tho I remember seeing alot of ads in the guitar magazines for them? They seem to be "rare in the wild", so to speak. I'm so happy I stumbled upon a used one locally, because no one even carries new ones, and I hate buying an amp I've never played through mail... returning it is a PITA.

There's a good chance I'll be keeping the Supro and unloading the Princeton. Nothing against the Princeton, I just think I like the Supro a bit better... I always wanted a bit more mids out of Princetons (I even did the "mid mod" to my last one, as well as put in a Greenback 10 trying to get more mids out of it. The mid mod actually worked really well, and gave me the best of both worlds... but I still sold it, only because I got a Supersonic 22 and it did everything clean I needed (it had a middy-er, beefier tone, with it's "fat" switch on the clean channel).

Waxhead likes this.
  17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    I had a PRRI (gone long ago), and I currently own a brown Princeton (the Stapleton signature). I've just listened to a couple of demos of the Tremoverb and according to what I've heard, you're right, it sounds a lot like my brown Princeton.
    Congrats, it sounds great!

ruger9 likes this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I also have a Fender SF PR from the late 70s : it does not sound like a 65 PRRI at all...

OK - I modified it, that's right, but even unmodified, it was already different... AFAIK, member @Stefan has the same as mine but in BF-return version (1980-1982) and draw the same conclusions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But that's right @ruger9 : anyway, it's definetly not the tone of a SUPRO - at least compared to my little 1605R, and certainly your Tremo-Verb !

A+!

Waxhead likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah yours is MUCH better after all your mod's :)

hcsterg likes this.
  20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, it's always nice to add another amp. Enjoy the sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.