NAD Stage Right 15 from Monoprice

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Mr Twangy, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Just got this and I am truly delighted. I wanted a tube/valve combo that would sound good at bedroom volumes but be loud enough to jam with others and this very affordable amp really shines. I had a Blackstar HT1R but it only had an 8 inch speaker and sounded "OK" but, as with many modern-day amps had an overdrive channel that was essentially a built-in distortion pedal overlaid on a platform that was a 1-watt valve amp employing some sort of solid state cleverness to operate with a 12au7 as a power tube. It sounded OK as I mentioned but it felt really hybrid and gimmicky, and of course was unusable as a rehearsal and small gig amp. This Stage Right 15 (known as the Harley Benton Tube 15 in Europe) features two EL84s and three 12ax7s with the only solid state component being the rectifier. Otherwise it's a straightforward old school tube amp. It sounds really full, chimey and articulate clean, and it breaks up real creamy with Blacktop Filter'trons. Malcolm Young all the way. It has switchable power from 15w to 1w, an effects loop, and a nice spring reverb. The speaker is the bog standard Celestion 70/80, but it sounds fine, even though not broken in. This amp only cost me just over $400 Canadian and I would venture to say there is nothing out there at twice the price that I would rather have. Some people have compared this amp to a Blues Jr but it's really got a more British voiced character. Apparently it's a clone of a Laney Cub 12. Anyway, I'm totally satisfied with my purchase and can highly recommend this amp to anybody looking for an affordable pure tube/valve combo. 20211024_192641.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Decent gear for the price. I've a Monoprice tube stereo amp that does fine. These guitar amps were originally going for $200USD, and the 8" 5 watt versions were $100. This is similar to many other 2XEL84 amps. Celestion 12" is pretty nice as well. Stage Right has a lot of other gear including lighting and other entertainment industry needs.
    Only issue I have with these is that the name "Stage Right" has been used for years by a company that makes stage risers and other theatrical gear. Copyrights mean nothing, I guess.

3. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Hey that's true! I actually have a Stage Right keyboard stand. Didn't even catch that. You're sure right about the whole intellectual property thing.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Stage Right gear I've used for 20 years is decking and risers, and the like, and is a US company. Your keyboard stand is probably from the amp guys in China. They make tons of stuff, but added the Stage Right moniker to differentiate from Monoprice.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  5. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Looks like you got yourself a solid little amp, reckon it would be similar to a BJ, same tubes, enjoy.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  6. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Thanks, yes it is similar to the BJ however
    I'd have to say it has less clean headroom, but that suits me fine.

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very cool! Re the name, trademarks are often tied to specific markets or products. E.g. look up Gibson company and you will find lots of companies and goods with that name, but probably not in the musical instrument category. Ps this not legal advice.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    but it's really got a more British voiced character

Marshall? VOX?

Congrats. I've read some great things about this amp.

@Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy likes this.
  9. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Well the EL84s would make you think Vox but to my ear it's more Marshall, in the best possible way. My Jet sounds a bit ice-picky through an AC15 but this sounds smooth.

J Bird and ZackyDog like this.
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your new amp. I like mine so well I bought a second one to use also.

Enjoy playing with the new amp. HNAD.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  11. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I got this yesterday, it's nice and it sounds a lot better than the vox ac15 from all the many comparison videos I have watched on youtube and definitely better than any marshall combo. it didn't blow me away though, just makes me realise how great amp sims are these days.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  12. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Darn this thread. There has been a struggle in my head for the past day whether to get one. I've got the sales site bookmarked, never a good sign.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  13. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    They were $159 shipped a couple years ago. They do sound decent for that price. No better than the myriad of EL84 powered amps out there, but at that price great. Not super reliable, but not all have issues either. They are super cheap inside. Tiny ribbon cables connecting in brittle plastic holders etc.
    I had trouble trusting mine enough to take to a small gig. Turned out my intuition was correct. Went out to turn it on one day in the music room and it never worked again. Interestingly, the low watt mode quit working a few days before it failed entirely.

I think it's a Chinese amp that people like Laney and others ordered rebranded.

I modded it and it has now become a Fender Princeton in sheep's clothing!

MrWookiee and Henry like this.
  14. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

"Went out to turn it on one day in the music room and it never worked again."

I had this happen with my friend's. It's been sitting in a closet ever since. Was yours just a blown fuse, or was it more?

If I can use an ice cream analogy, I know this isn't a gourmet $5 a pint ice cream, it's a production strawberry ice-milk, but I'm hankering for strawberry.

MrWookiee likes this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve got one of these and think it sounds great. It’s just a super cheap amp that actually sounds good. I don’t use amps anymore, but did a gig a couple months back that I used it for and it did great with a Mystery Brain in front of it. That was the whole rig btw - Telecaster into Mystery Brain into Stage Right super cheap amp. Sound guy as well as several listeners came to talk to my about my “fantastic tone”. Hahahahaha

SAguitar and MrWookiee like this.
  16. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Since I got my Jr Barnyard (the newer smaller one) running through my Monoprice Stage Right 15w, I totally get what you mean running a Mystery Brain through yours. 5120, Telecasters and a Les Paul...get all kinds of good sounds out this amp. In the year and a half I've had it I have changed V1 to a sovtek 12AX7, as it it was showing its age. Play the heck outta this amp out on the deck in the spring/summer/fall. I get compliments from the neighbors and passers-by. It can get plenty loud, even on the 1 w but I always keep mine at the 15 w setting- gain at quarter till and master at noon, for the most part.
    Anyone getting this amp, I highly recommend changing the color of the EQ knobs. Mine are a burgundy/wine color, although the exact same chicken head knob. It just makes things easier to see and change. Wish the amp had anything other than a chrome faceplate, but not a big issue.
    Monoprice2.jpeg

ZackyDog, Mr Twangy and J Bird like this.
  17. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I think the KB stand might be On Stage?

Mr Twangy and wabash slim like this.
  18. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    Ah you are correct Sir.

Mark W likes this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Do you have any plans to change the speaker?

upload_2021-10-28_1-49-46.jpeg

Mr Twangy likes this.
  20. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Uh, GAS is kicking in...
    Does anybody have seen a schematic? Is it really Marshall-y, maybe even close to the 18Watt Marshalls?
    Lucky me, my wife would understand :)

Mr Twangy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.