NAD sort of

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Aug 5, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Finally finished my Trinity Triton project.
    This 10W amp, built from a kit, is now at home in a 112 cabinet I modified over the August long weekend. The cab itself is 3/4" pine board that was built in my father-in-law's woodshop a few years back. It ain't pretty in the conventional sense, but it sounds good! 20210805_142941.jpg 20210805_142953.jpg 20210805_143705.jpg

2. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Good job and looks good. Way out of my DYI capabilities.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'll pass that along to my father-in-law.... he's a pretty good carpenter :)

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Looks good. What's this August long weekend you speak of? I like the idea and may be willing to convert, at least for the month of August.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The first monday of August is a civic holiday in Canada. Just because. I guess this extra day off in the summer is our compensation for the country being a frozen wasteland 8 months of the year,.

Henry likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine @pmac11 ! :cool::cool::cool:

The Satin Blue paint job is well regular all around : I guess you used a spray ?

No matter : in that field, I have never been able to do better than the smear :mad: of Black paint inside my amp's cabs... :confused::(

It seems that you had some issues with the grillcloth, considering its "wavy" look. :oops::D How did you proceeded ? With a few tips, it could be corrected to look fine... o_O

But it's me and... "If it works, don't fix it !" ;)

A+!

Outlaw and pmac11 like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Looks pretty to me - great work :)

pmac11 likes this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yes, interior/exterior matte spray paint from the local hardware store. Literally a $10 finish.

Not sure why the grillcloth did that, it appeared tight before I installed the baffle. Could fix it, but would have to disassemble/reassemble everything. As it's not affecting the sound, I think I'll leave it for now. I've got some white cane grillcloth that I may one day substitute in place of the faux Fender ... we'll see.

hcsterg likes this.
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks man!

10. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very nice. Great job!

pmac11 likes this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nice. Enjoy the heck out of it.

pmac11 likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    A 10$ finish... For me, it would have been a 10$ nightmare ! :rolleyes:

The tip for the Fender-and-the-like plastic grillcloth :

- cut the grillcloth to the frame format + circa 3-4cm extra all around.
    - make a ply on the grillcloth sheet with a ruler - well straight and even - which will represent the "horizon".
    - place the upper side of your frame in the "horizon" ply angle.
    - check that both match evenly.
    - staple the glicloth to the center of the upper edge.

upload_2021-8-6_0-59-9.png

- then progress left and right from center, checking you stay even, no waving.
    - mark the ply at the bottom of the frame, and staple accordingly, always checking you are even
    - the grillcloth must be even, just tight BUT NOT stretched.
    - then do the sides, still checking that now the vertical pattern stays OK.
    - Now it's time to stretch the grillcloth : for this, use a 2000-2500W hairdryer (NOT a thermal gun !)
    - Evenly heat the grillcloth which will stretch by itself under temperature.

upload_2021-8-6_1-1-32.png upload_2021-8-6_1-2-2.png

- if you have stapled the grillcloth straight and even, it will stay straight and even once stretched.

I find non-plastic grillcloth easier to put on :

- the procedure is roughly the same, but you have to stretch the grillcloth while stapling it, and of course check you are even and straight all along.
    - to stretch, I use a pliers painter : it's a magic accessory for that job, along with an electric stapler. :cool:

upload_2021-8-6_0-52-11.png

upload_2021-8-6_0-54-21.png

- no need to heat, that's done !

Oh, and you have to cut flush with the back edge of the frame to finish the work, in both cases. ;)

upload_2021-8-6_0-55-26.png

A+!

Attached Files:

13. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Thanks for showing the amp, @pmac11. I've been looking at the Trinity amps, and some other kits. The cabinets cost as much as the amp kits. You're lucky you and your father-in-law were able to build your own. It looks like it turned out really well.

hcsterg and pmac11 like this.
  14. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Looks great @pmac11 ...
    Not sort of, but definitely NAD.

Very old school look and quite like the color, none of after market black or similar tolex...
    How's the sound?

Enjoy

hcsterg and pmac11 like this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Trinity Amps is supplied by Veteran Guitar Cabinets in Trenton Ontario. Yes, the cabinets seem pricey, but they're all Baltic birch plywood or pine, with excellent attention to detail in the finishes...as good or better than a lot of the stuff offered by the big names.

Groutsch likes this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the ubiquitous black tolex, so I went with a blue spray paint that caught my eye. Sounds like a late 40s, octal tube-preamp Fender or Gibson. Love it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    hcsterg and bhatta like this.
  17. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    I have only seen some videos of those ol" Gibson's, superb sounds .
    Perfect for blues, blues-rock territory, imho.
    Absolutely love that tone.. at 10w it should break-up nicely at low volumes.
    Enjoy to the fullest.

Cheers

pmac11 likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Many times I have been tempted to get a Trinity amp kit...this encourages me more.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you've built a pedal, you can built the Triton. The Trinity OSD (Dumble inspired circuit) is next in my sights.
    At a certain point, these things stop being more complex, and become simply more soldering :) Go for it!

20. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It's a great for blues, and the sort of dirty jazz/Tom Waits/Blue Valentine tone .

I must tip my hat to @TV the Wired Turtle. Now that I own an amp with an octal tube preamp, I'm truly impressed at how his Junior Barnyard nails the tone in a pedal. I'm tempted to plug my Junior B into the Triton, but fear that the resulting confluence of all things octal might disrupt the spacetime continuum.

loudnlousy, bhatta and stevo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.