NAD (Solid, Jack) (updated)

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by dougmon, May 30, 2020.

1. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I've been reading up on how solid state amps have made big strides in sounding more musical, though not exactly like tubes. So of course, I felt that I had to try one.

Check out this beauty:
    mustmini.jpg

Models many classic Fender amps, has effects built in...what more do you need?

Ok, I'm kidding. This is an old shot of my messy workbench. I do still use this amp, but only to quickly test things (microphone for harmonica and vocals, stuff like that.) But hey, isn't teasing a new piece of gear a tradition here?

I'll post a picture of the actual new amp after I've taken a decent picture. It is a solid state amp, though.

thunder58 and Ricochet like this.
  2. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Ok, so here's the real amp:

quilteramp.jpg
    Quilter MicroPro Mach2 12 HD. What all that means: this is the second generation of the MicroPro with a Heavy Duty 12" speaker.

So what did I want out of an amp? Light weight was really a consideration. This amp is twenty-one pounds. I also wanted to get an amp that could get a decent jazz tone when using a big body electric. This amp will do that. I also wanted an amp that wouldn't react badly to the poor electricity that we sometimes get at my house; and this amp is pretty good for that. And it had to be solid-state; I'm retiring soon, and won't have to budget to futz with tubes.

It's also got a decent spring reverb (emulation) and a decent tremolo. And I've gotten a kinda sorta Blackface sound out of it, too; close enough for me at this point.

It's been said that some Quilter amps do not sound that good without a preamp in front of them. Luckily, I have a Jr. Barnyard and it really does wonders for this amp's output. I'm also looking at clean boost pedals to see what they might do. But the amp sounds fine on its own. At bedroom levels, I get a really nice tone out of it.

I haven't checked out the "boost" features yet; I don't know that I'll use them much, but as mathematicians say "the possibility exists."

One cool thing not specifically about the amp is that when I wrote Quilter with some semi-technical questions, I got a reply from Patrick Quilter. So I think I can be sure the answer I got was correct.

Haven't had it very long, but so far...so good! It does make me wish I had a single coil guitar to test it with, but...can't have everything.

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I’ve heard good things about these.

dougmon likes this.
  4. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I had one for about a year, but I couldn't seem to bond with it. The boost in the amp will REALLY boost your sound. I felt a little too much for me to be able to use. The Reverb and tremolo sounded great, however.

I just couldn't get past needing warm glass in the back of my amp. This amp just didn't convince me. Maybe one day...

5. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    This is some of my experience so far , except I thought the "scoop" boost was usable. I really like the amp "voicings" and as you said, the reverb and tremolo sound great. I'm willing to give it a year to see what I think about it; though just from messing around with it for a couple of hours, it seems to be the most versatile amp I've ever owned.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I was absolutely blown away by the Quilter 101 Mini head I picked up as a MF Stupid Deal a few months ago! My original intention was more as a lifeboat in case I blew a tube at a gig, but this little two-pound wonder sounds so doggone musical that my other amps are gathering dust. I can only imagine how good a full-featured Quilter must sound.

Great gear!!

dougmon likes this.
  7. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I thought about the mini head, but I wasn't educated enough about which speaker to use with it, and I didn't have a lot of time/money to play around with various speakers.

What did you end up using for speakers?

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Always glad to hear something like this . Congrats on your new amp and enjoy

dougmon likes this.
  9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on the new Quilter, Doug!

I keep hearing good things about them, but I've never had a chance to hear one in person. Having retired last year, and having just put new power tubes in my Fender DRRI, I have also thought about the idea of finding a good solid state amp. Right now, the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb has my interest. In July, I'll start pastoring a church on a part-time schedule, so with the extra income, I might be able to sort out a few gear issues. I'll keep Quilter in mind.

dougmon likes this.
  11. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    What did you end up using for speakers?

I already had a compact 2x12 loaded with WGS speakers: a Veteran 30 and an ET65 that sound great with my Tweaker 15 head. The Quilter also sounds terrific with this combination.

Once I played this rig at a gig, I began to think about assembling an ultralight setup. I ordered a Mojotone light 1x12 cabinet (14 lbs. empty) and eventually (after considering a Neo speaker) installed another WGS: an ET90. The 101 Mini puts out 100 Watts at a couple of settings, so the speaker needs to be of appropriate rating. The ET90 was a good choice. Not quite as much solid bottom end as the 2x12 (Duh!) but a nice contrast to my other cabinet. Cab+speaker AND amp head total 23 lbs!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    pmac11 and dougmon like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Looks good Doug :D

It's the companies who make these new SS and modeling amps who keep saying they are improving or.... "making big strides in being more musical". When each new amp has been released over the past 20 yrs their marketing says it sounds just like a tube amp and is better than previous. In 2020 they're still saying the same.

Disregarding the marketing hype I've not noticed much improvement myself.
    There were some good SS amps (like the Roland Cube 6o I still have) 20 yrs ago and there's still some good one's now.

The good one's are mostly made by the same companies I notice - Roland, Quilter and Fender seem to have a winner cloning the clean tone of their Twin/DR in the new TM amp. And there's just as many duds now as there was 20 yrs ago too.

During same period I have also noticed big improvements and technology progression in tube amps - especially in the low watt range. I haven't had to replace a tube for over 15 yrs.

Anyway - enjoy yours and hope it does the job for ya :)

pmac11 likes this.
  13. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Well, it's not a Mesa Boogie, but... :D

Funny you should mention Roland - I was thinking of someday getting a Blues Cube or a Jazz Chorus. I think Roland is doing an excellent job with solid state amps. And yeah, the TM sounds darn good too - but in the end, it wasn't what I was looking for.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congratulations on your new amp.

dougmon likes this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Congrats, Quilter makes good stuff. I've got a 101Mini, and like you I've been impressed with the fact that Pat Quilter himself answers technical questions. Also like you I sometimes run a Jr B in front, which gives it a sweet handful of 1940s dirt that is hard to replicate. Enjoy!

Waxhead and dougmon like this.
  16. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    My favorite amp is the Mesa Boogie Lonestar but there are solid state amps that I certainly think are complete tone monsters....... My 60w Tech21 is awesome and really prefer that over a majority of tube amps out there.

Orange has caught my attention recently and will have to look as the Quilter as I do not know anything about them but I have no doubt they are high quality. I enjoyed watching the link below and learning about the demonstrated options.

pmac11 likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Since I’m assembling a compact gig-able rig I looked at Quilter to inspire me with their speaker choices. All Celestions, but their picks are oddly all over the place.
    • TF0818 for 8”
    • Vintage10 or TF1018 for 10”
    • Classic Lead or BN12-300 for 12”
    A strange collection of guitar, bass and PA speakers, almost seems picked for Wattage more than anything else.

I just ordered a bunch of speakers to play around with. I’ll update the compact gig rig thread, once I get home.

Robbie likes this.
  18. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I was sort of put off by this at first; my Quilter has the BN12-300. But it works well with the amplifier.

My biggest "problem" with this amp is the number of tonal choices you have. It triggers my OCD and I spend lots of time finding new tones and trying to remember how I got certain tones. The other day I got a nice B.B. King kind of tone, and I'm fairly certain it was largely the amp and not just my wonderful playing. Another time, I was messing around with the "Grits" setting on the Jr. Barnyard, and all of a sudden I found myself in Led Zeppelin territory.

I think I'm going to have to keep a notepad by the amp so I can write down settings that I like.

Yeah, I'd be interested in your impressions of different speakers. I know at least two Quilter users are using a WGS Veteran 300 with good results.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I tried one of the 35W Orange Crush SS amps in my local store months back. It was really good. So is Quilter...very fendery sounding.

NJDevil likes this.
  20. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    When I was out at GC looking at guitars, I played an Electromatic semi-hollow through an Orange amp. Sounded pretty good. I've been told that it's hard to get clean sounds out of some Orange amps; that they're mostly high-gain. Is that the case?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice