NAD! Nice little Vox

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Archtops, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have owned quite a few Vox amps and still have quite a few but my favorite is my AC10. Much lighter than the AC15 I had and at house levels much more usable. For some reason I plugged in turned the knobs a couple times and found my sweet spot. Congrats and enjoy!

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  2. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    73EED048-42E5-4883-A3EC-2D93C0047C36.png
    it’s too big and too heavy. You need to drive a Vox to get a great tone out of it and you just can’t do it with a ac30. It will also break your back in the process.

I got rid of my ac30 long ago ago for an ac15 there is no drop off in sound quality quite the reverse and you can gig with it all day! What ever gigs you play a good sound guy will always mic you up anyway which is how Noel Gallagher can play though a Blues Jr.

Get rid of the AC30 and get the AC15 HW1X it’s hand wired with blues backs it sounds like a Vox should do also you can bypass the master volume if you are into a more organic sound

It doesn’t have a reverb or tremolo but not a big deal for me as I would always you the ones on my board. I just use a Boss TR2 and a keeley vintage chamber verb which is 10x better than any spring tank IMO

it’s not light cos the cab is solid wood not mdf but I’ll never regret the decision

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  3. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    Very nice

4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thank you Ashley!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thank you Mark!

Mark W and mrfixitmi like this.
  6. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’ve had an AC10 for about three years. I only use it in my home space. It’s adequate for that, and I’m mostly satisfied. But! I have never been able to get good gain out of it, and it has always had a hum/buzz. I’ve changed out the tubes and it still has the hum/buzz. I’ve decided it isn’t the amp, but something in my practice room, and have learned to live with it. I’d like to know if anyone else has experienced this condition with an AC10.

Mark W and Archtops like this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    No buzz or hum so far. Does that happen when you use more gain? Is your amp the AC10 or AC10c1. Thanks JR.

8. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    AC10C1. Yes the buzz seems to occur when I try to employ the gain. It could well be just my inexperience with amps.

Archtops likes this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thanks JR. I’ll check mine tomorrow and get back to this thread and let you know what I find.
    I would try your AC10 in another location to see if the buzz/hum is still present.

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I tried a different room, but both have flourescent lights in them, and that might be an issue.

Archtops likes this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yes they can be.

Raising the gain in these, is basically pushing the preamp tubes, which does raise the noise level.

Noise from other devices and or the outlet will be amplified.

As usual, grounding is important, and I've played around with different pre amp tubes. Some tubes are noisier than others.

Typical tube amp fun.

Jelly Roll Horton and Archtops like this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Well said . My thoughts exactly.

G5422T likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I forgot this one.

Started getting alot of noise from all of my amps one week. All in the same room, noisy with all guitars.

Well, just bought a new smart phone that uses my WIFI. Had it next to me on a little table.

Hmmm? Put the phone in another room, and all was normal again.

Just stupid little things that tube amps didn't have to deal with when they were born. :)

Berington, Mark W, sgarnett and 3 others like this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Good tip that one wouldn’t think of.

G5422T likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It is crazy what can cause noise. I actually had to shut off breakers to isolate circuits once to figure out where some noise was coming from. Turns out it was a can light in the ceiling, a regular incandescent can light.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Archtops and G5422T like this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank You Ashley1983, I was thinking the same thing. When I was in my 20's and up to 40's the AC30 was heavy but still usable to GIG. Now it tends to stay at home, and it is too loud for home. The AC15 is a little lighter, and still has that VOX sound. Since most place have PA systems, I am thinking do I need to lug around the AC 30 anymore....I do appreciate the advice.

17. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I once spent several days thinking all of my cables were bad. It took an embarrassingly long time to realize it was my phone causing all that flakiness. I REALLY should have know better.

Newer high-efficiency lighting can emit noise at a wide range of frequencies. So can switching power supplies in/for PCs.

Archtops, mrfixitmi and G5422T like this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Wifi is one. LED lighting, and dimmer switches are other great sources of noise.

Archtops, mrfixitmi and Bertotti like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep that one can light was on a dimmer switch.

pmac11 likes this.
  20. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    No buzz or hum from mine. If it did I would have just packed it up and sent it back. So far so good.

Sounds like you got some good tip[s to check out.

Archtops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.