NAD - Fender Pawn Shop Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Snorre, Feb 26, 2021.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You welcome, @Snorre - thanks ! :)

For the bag, I simply use old trousers and pull-overs sleeves that I cut to the appropriate lenght.

After shielding, I slip the tank in one or two pull-over sleeves, and then I slip the whole in the trousers sleeves, and fix all that loosely in the bottom of the cab.

No hassle : it works perfectly, and in addition it's recycling ! :D

Below the installation of the reverb in my Boogie MKIIA :

Original mounting : hum, larsen, springy noises à gogo !

[​IMG]

Modified mounting with shielding, trousers and pull-over sleeves : lush reverb tone, no more adverse noises... The bag isn't even fixed here, it is just maintained loosely in the bottom of the cab by the huge magnet of the EVM12L.

[​IMG]

That's an easy mod which can greatly improve your reverb tone and usefulness ! :cool:;)

A+!

2. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Very cool! I missed your last post because I did a little shopping over at Amplified Parts and placed an order for the following:

Products on order:

1 x Reverb Tank Bag - 9" Long, Handmade Black Tolex - $9.95
    SKU: P-RBAG-9-A

1 x Cable - RCA, Shielded Right Angle Plugs - $3.50
    SKU: S-H273
    • Length: 3 feet
    1 x Vacuum Tube - EL84, JJ Electronics - $27.40
    SKU: T-EL84-JJ-MPB
    • Single or Matched: Apex Burned-In Matched Pair
    1 x Vacuum Tube - 12AX7 / ECC83, JJ Electronics, package of 3 - $32.85

I thought I might as well see if any of these things will be an improvement over the stock cheap stuff.

I affixed the aluminum foil (from StewMac that I bought some years ago) to a cut to size bit of cardboard and placed under the tank per your instructions. Until the new stuff arrives, I've wrapped an old kitchen cotton towel around the tank for the time being.

At this point, the Reverb hum is back and increases in volume when the Reverb control is turned up. If the above items don't fix the issue, then I'll probably get an MOD tank to replace the stock tank. While I'm perfectly fine sticking with my reverb pedal, I would like to get the onboard Reverb sorted to use as a backup or viable option.

new6659 likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Those are darn cool amps with a unique boutique-like tone for cheap. I‘ve sold my blue one :(

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Strange : it shouldn't ...o_Oo_Oo_O. Is the shielded carton GND'ed ?

A+!

5. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Honestly not sure - do you mean I need to run a ground wire from the shielded carton to amp bottom? Sorry, I'mn good with guitar pickup ground wires but with amp grounding, not so much. :confused:

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Normally, by putting the shielded side of the carton under the reverb tank, the contact of the shield with the casing should do already the electrical continuity. By adding all around the edges a ribbon of conductive adhesive tape, I perfect the conduction by making it tight, building a Faraday cage.

Now yes, you're right : it's advisable to check if your tank is grounded to the amp chassis via its in/out cables. If not, then add a supplementary connection to ground the Faraday cage to chassis.

Some reverb tanks have input GND'ed, output GND'ed, both GND'ed, none GND'd, depending on the model designation. You may have a none GND'ed one...

A+!

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, looks like a fun amp!

8. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    I neglected to add the ribbon of shielding around the bottom as I mistakenly assumed from your photo that the shielding on the bottom was overhang from the inner shielding. I've added the ribbon around the edges of the bottom now and it definitely helps. I still get a bit of hum but it doesn't increase in volume. I unplugged the RCA cable plugs from the amp and then plugged them back in and all was quiet again. This leads me to have hope that my higher quality RCA cable (which is also grounded, I believe) will solve this issue.

Happy to report no more hiss consistently with the Tone control! :)

While the stock reverb sounds lovely. I may still end up buying a larger tank down the road for fun. Maybe some Jensen or Eminence speakers in the future, too, but I'm still happy with the stock speakers for now.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That's fine ! :cool:;)

Did you tried to displace (or reverse) the position of the reverb tank ? Just to check if there's no adverse induction from the power transformer on the reverb tank transducers... o_O

A+!

10. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Nope, I didn't do that. I did try moving it to the middle back of the amp just to see if it helped but it didn't, so I ended moving it back to the back right of the amp (same positioning as original location just further to the back of the amp. It seems to like it there best.

It's fine for now - hopefully, like I mentioned before, the new grounded RCA cable should make a big difference as I am leaning toward the cheap stock RCA cable is finicky. The new tubes might help, too. In any case, it's totally playable for now. :)

hcsterg and G5422T like this.
  11. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chicago
    Cool amp! I bought a used Excelsior from guitar center at a price much lower that I’ve seen anywhere else. Surf green too... and in mint condition. I’d love to come across a matching Vaporizor someday too.

12. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    I ended up putting in a full-sized Accutronics reverb tank - sounds really great!

hcsterg likes this.
  13. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Well, either I can't leave well enough alone or I'm just bored (likely both!). Decided to go for a pair of Jensen P10Q 40 Watt/16 Ohm speakers. I'll follow up once I have them installed.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure ! :cool: Since the cab of the Vaporizer allow to enter one... ;)

A+!

15. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    I received my 2 Jensen P10Q 40 Watt/16 Ohm speakers yesterday. I installed them but I'm having a bit of difficulty removing the stock speakers' cable with the one plug/4 spade lugs from the original speakers as they are soldered and I think crimped too securely for removal.

I'm handy with soldering but I think due to the possibly crimped lugs, I can't actually remove the spade lugs. While soldering, the heat ended up loosening and separating the speaker cable wiring fibers from one of the lugs.

Before I have to break out the crimping toolset and fix that problem, has anyone who swapped out the original speakers able to remove and re-use the existing cable (with one plug) successfully or did you find an aftermarket replacement cable?

I'm having no luck so far finding a replacement cable and I'm wondering if this particular cable is custom-made for the Vaporizer.

Here's what the stock cable looks like (pic grabbed from a TDPRI posting via Google).

[​IMG]

The guy on TDPRI looks to be using the existing cable, so I'll have another go at trying to remove mine from the stock speakers.

[​IMG]

UPDATE:
    Having a fresh look at it today, it looks like there are actually two cables - one with the plug with 2 lugs and the other red/black cable with 2 lugs on each end. If I can't remove the original (without further destruction, heh), I think it's an easy replacement after all to get the two cables.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If it were me, and it wouldn't be cause I'm not that ambitious, I would use a new cable probably of better quality.

17. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    I got the stock one working (crimped on a new lug) for now. I'm definitely going to order a new cable with plug and a cable that connects the two speakers and then I'll swap out the stock cables.

New Jensen speakers work great (waay louder, lol) but I either have a grounding issue or it's something else unknown to me because the onboard reverb tank only works when turning on one of my effects pedals on my pedal board - in this case, it's my Carbon Copy delay pedal.

I tend to use the CC a lot but I'm hoping I can get the issue resolved. The new reverb cables have two grounding wires - I've tried to ground both - one to under the reverb unit's new shielding and the other grounding wire is affixed to the amp's baffle inside the amp. Due to my lack of grounding knowledge, I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do. Should I only be using one grounding wire, neither, or is the two grounding wires not the issue?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  18. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    I'm hoping to get an amp expert help me figure something out. I swapped out the anemic stock small reverb tank with a new large Accutronics reverb tank. I've installed reverb tanks before and I've never had this problem. The reverb only works when my Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal on my pedalboard is activated. I tend to mostly have it on anyway, so it's not a big deal, but I guess I'm curious as to why it only works this way.

I have tested the amp with guitar only without the pedalboard chain and the reverb barely works if at all. I've checked the cables and I've had the reverb tank cable's ground wire affixed by a screw on the inner cabinet wall. I've also tried it without attaching the ground wire to anything. I'm not sure if this is a grounding issue or possibly that the amp itself can't provide the power needed for the tank and the pedal does? I'm grasping at straws, I guess.

Anyhoo, I'd greatly appreciate any constructive advice. For now, as is, the amp works fine and I can always turn down the reverb control and use one of my reverb pedals on my pedalboard, but I do like the onboard reverb option, too.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Assuming that the pan was of the proper impedance, there shouldn’t be a problem with the amp driving it. Is the Carbon Copy the last effect on your board?

Snorre likes this.
  20. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Thanks for the help, Synchro, much appreciated. The stock smaller 3-spring reverb tank is (I think) a Tops TPSB3EB2C1B and I couldn't find any online other than a Tops TPSB2EB2C1B 2-spring where the input impedance is 150 Ohm, output impedance is 2250 ohm. The 2-spring Accutronics 4AB3C1B's input impedance is 8 ohm and the output impedance is 2250 ohm. So not much info, I'm afraid on the actual Tops tank I have.

The Carbon Copy is the last effects pedal if you don't count my seldom used Boss Equalizer that is the last pedal in the chain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.