NAD - easy guess :)

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hcsterg, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hehehe I know english is not your first language but I had to look up "polyvalancy" in the Oxford disctionary.
    It says ...... "the fact of having many different functions or forms."

So thanks for giving me an english lesson :D
    I speak Spanish well but my French is mal.

So yes, I expect the little Supro will be simple to use with a few options but......

How would you describe its clean tones - in the Fender family, more Vox/Marshall, or it's own thing??
    And does it do any overdrive - light or medium gain - what flavour of overdrive?
    What type power tubes does it have?
    merci :D

As an aside - my Mesa Mark V has many "vintage" tones inside as it's a collection of all the best channels from the whole Mark series range commencing with Mark I from the 1970s.

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Aw, sorry @Waxhead : I should have wrote versatile instead... :oops:

I did not had the time to play it again since I tested it quielty in my pal's music shop and took it back home ! :confused:

For me, the tone SUPRO 1605R Reverb 1964 doesn't belong to the usual Fender BF/SF family tone. Is it Marshally or Voxy ? Probably more...

I mean, played clean, it is very far from the tone of a stock PR RI 1965, for example. It's more midrangey and warm, less "scooped".

In overdiven mode, The SUPRO 1605R can give a smoother tone than my (now traded) Marshall Class5, and it's very close to the tone of a little 60's Ampeg Jet J-12T that I serviced quite recently ; compressing, sustaining, without broken sound when cranked.

If I consider a Fender Champ, a Gibson GA-5 as light gain, I'd say that the SUPRO 1605R is medium gain, then. It compresses smoothly and sustains easily when pushed with simply all controls at noon, just turning the master volume up.

Well... It's difficult to qualify by words - I'll try to make some representative samples ASAP, so I hope you'll be able to categorize the tone of the 1605R !

A+!

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    sounds like a great little amp .......
    hey you did an excellent job explaining in english - and no need to apologise for anything as I understand it's hard to explain things in your 2nd or 3rd language.

How many languages do you speak??

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Additional note, @Waxhead ;) : I played the amp at small loudness this evening and yes : definetly not Fendery, but I have been probably a bit optimistic on my gain evaluation :oops: : using only the master volume facility (not pushing the power amp = playing at bedroom level), you just have a solid, dense crunch with the matching sustain, so I'd rather say a bit less-than-medium-gain operation, but more than the usual Champ.

Oh... Beside the French, which is my native language, I try to maintain my level of English language notably via posting and reading on the forum (knowing that it's not enough because there's no speaking nor hearing to give the fluency), so any sense or language correction is always welcome ! ;)

After this, I marginally speak Italian o_O (because of my wife's origins and family) and vaguely Spanish (school memories :confused:), my regret is not speaking German... :oops:

A+!

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    well you're doing great on the english.
    I only speak 3 languages also - english, spanish and aussie :D

hcsterg likes this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    They do seem to hold their value- I've seen used ones at GC and other places where the new one still in the sealed box was only $50 to $100 more than a used one.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, SUPRO amps are costy, but seem to be quality built : I'll open mine to see in details and post pictures, indeed... ;)

What I can say is that the finish on my 1605R is excellent - I'm quite picky on the subject :rolleyes: :
    - the covering seams are so perfect that they are nearly invisible.
    - the grillcloth is straight and even.
    - the panels are laser-engraved plates, not silkscreened.
    - the cab is made of 18mm plywood.

The price of a brand new SUPRO 1605R here in France is 1169 Euros everywhere :

https://www.stars-music.fr/supro-1650rt-royal-reverb-1964-reissue_143134.html

My pal made me an offer at 900 Euros for a 2-month old one, under 3-year warranty, with original purchase invoice of the 1st hand owner. I traded in my Marshall Class5 for 300 Euros, added 200 Euros of recent part-time amp repairs, and completed by a cash of 400 Euros. It was a reasonable deal for my finances...

A+!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Jeff67 and Waxhead like this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Inside and chassis view of the SUPRO 1605R :

[​IMG]

The tubes are from JJ : 2x 12AX7, 1x 12AT7, 1x 6V6.

A+!

9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats Bruno!

The little Supro is a very nice sounding amp, I‘ve played one last year and was impressed. To me the tone was something like a Fender/Vox marriage...but why is that amp that expensive? It‘s not boutique and not poin to point wired. Here in germany it‘s around 1100€ :(
    You‘ll get a Blackface Chaml for the same money. Nevertheless, nice sounding machine!

hcsterg likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    For now, here in US&A, vintage Supro's and Magnatone's can be had for the same or even less than new one's in some instances, i know were fortunate. Fenders are pretty close too, for silverface amps which are just fine by me. Old amps do need maintenance though and this is a huge turn-off for alot of people, i get around this by having lot's of amps, one is sure to be working well:D

hcsterg and Stefan like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @wildeman : you have a nice couple of vintage Supro and Magnatone amps... :cool: By my side, maintenance wouldn't be a problem :D, but finding here a Magnatone is an impossible mission :(.

That said, I read somewhere that the varistors used to creat the famous Magnatone tremolo effect are problematic to source and replace : is that true ? o_O

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.