NAD - 1949 Fender Pro

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 6124Bassman, Sep 19, 2020.

1. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hi guys, been a while since I’ve posted! I’ve had a few NAD and NGD since I’ve been on here but today I came across something I just had to post about.

I picked up a 1949 TV Front Fender Pro Amp. It has been recovered in a Gibson-like tolex, replaced speaker, and replaced output transformer. The circuit is mostly original minus filter caps and a single coupling cap. The original coupling caps are leaking and causing some issues with the volume controls. So all in all it’s a project amp that I’m pretty excited to take on. I will be restoring it back to as close to original as possible, and it will be my first time trying to retweed an amp (unless I decide to have a professional do it).

Now what makes this NAD special is how I ended up with the amp. It’s a wild ride so hang on!

About a year ago I bought a brown Pro amp for $1800. A little later I bought a recovered tweed Princeton for $850. So all together I started with $2650 spent out of my pocket.

• Traded the brown pro for a Gibson es-335.
    • Traded the Es-335 for a refinished ‘74 telecaster custom.
    • Traded the telecaster custom and the tweed Princeton for a custom shop Tele.
    • Traded the custom shop Tele for a beat up tweed deluxe and a ‘63 Gretsch clipper.
    • Traded the tweed deluxe for a 1960 fender concert.
    • Traded the clipper for an American standard telecaster.
    • Traded the Tele for an American performer series strat.
    • Sold the 1960 concert for $2900
    • Traded the start for this pro amp.

So that brings us to today. I started with $2650 and ended up with $2900 and this 1949 Pro amp. So that is a profit of $250 AND an killer amp.

It will probably take me a few months to restore this amp, since I’m a little low on funds due to a NGD that happened this week too. This is definitely the kind of amp that is worth restoring so I’m going to do it the right way even if it takes a bit longer. I think the outcome will be a really cool players Tweed amp!

Thanks for following along!

G5422T, loudnlousy, MTurner and 5 others like this.
  2. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Awesome! Just restored a 54 5C3 the other day. Consider replacing the two 25uf bypass caps, those should have been done with the cap job.

6124Bassman likes this.
  3. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    nice! Post some pics of how it came out, I’d like to see some pictures.

I will replace the bypass caps for sure. Most likely will replace all the coupling caps too. They are almost guaranteed leaking and with the condition of the amp I won’t feel bad replacing them.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    And a sweet studio Deluxe steel to match, nice...

5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yeah that is a 1963 studio deluxe. Found that at a pawn shop last month. I think this pro will be the perfect match for it

wildeman likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My Deluxe steel is close to that amp in age. I think its about a '50 to '53 20200522_170449.jpg

7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Funny original post: I spent $2650 and have a $250 profit. Looks like my wife back from sales :D

Congratulations on your amp.

pmac11 and 6124Bassman like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, nice score!

6124Bassman likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Very nice and solid horse trading too! I sold my Pro several weeks ago but had it for a bunch of years. They are solid amps. Congrats.

6124Bassman, capnhiho and pmac11 like this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sweet little amp, man! Good luck with the restoration effort. I suspect the electronics will be the easy part of the job compared to removing the tolex and re-tweeding. Let us know how it goes!

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, hope to see pictures of the restored amp shortly. Have fun with the project.

6124Bassman likes this.
  12. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree. It will be my first time recovering an amp. I’m debating if I go at it myself or if I have someone else do it. There are some guys out there who can make them look nearly indistinguishable from an original.

Rmccamey likes this.
  13. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Anyone know if the Fender handwritten S/N's in those early years were consecutive across all models or did each model start from No. 1?

14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great going on the buying/trading/selling and congrats on the new amp, enjoy the restoration on it.

6124Bassman likes this.
  15. Congrats! That’s a piece of history

6124Bassman likes this.
  16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Very cool! I had a 53/54 Bassman for a bit. Mine wasn't tweed, kind of a brown vinyl that looked original. . Evidently Fender covered with other things early on I've been told.

6124Bassman likes this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I used to love that horse-trading guitar safaries so much.
    Really enjoy the way you traded stuff to get to the next level. So cool.
    If I had the dime to do it I would gladly join in...
    Keep on doing this and keep on posting.

6124Bassman likes this.
  18. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have been a big trader for the last 6 years, but have cooled off a bit in the last 5 months or so. Pretty much all those trades happened within about 2-3 months then I sat on the strat until yesterday.

I stopped trading and started selling instead. That way I can buy exactly what I want rather than trading for something that is interesting but not exactly what I was looking for.

Aside from the trades I mentioned above, I sold off all of my amps and guitars except one each and started buying with intention rather than whatever I could get/afford at the time. Only stuff I really want to have in my collection.

I only have 2 amps, 1 guitar, and 1 lap steel now. Sounds crazy I know, but it’s all stuff I’ve wanted for a really long time and really do plan to keep forever. It is all Pre-CBS Fender stuff.

Family photo below:
    45FCD537-CC68-461E-AF97-56CB9AD5FE32.jpeg

dougmon, loudnlousy, G5422T and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.