N5420D: I think I might have an addiction...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by JT19, Mar 29, 2021.

1. rocko

rocko Electromatic

I have a similar addiction and I hope nobody ever finds a cure!

JT19, Gregor and THS3171 like this.
  2. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    I would have kept the Walnut Stain 5422, sold the 5420s and bought 5422s in Snowcrest White, Orange Stain, and Cadillac Green. While I'm dreaming, might as well have a different set of pickups in each guitar for variety.

JT19 and GlenP like this.
  3. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the only way I could tell them apart blindfolded is because of the strings. Right now, there are a mix of gauges and types... and some are fresher than others.

If I re-strung all of them with the same strings, I doubt I'd be able to detect any differences at all. Partly because the build quality is very consistent... and partly because I'm just not particularly discerning. :)

THS3171 and loudnlousy like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Awesome stable of 5420’s new one is a beauty!

JT19 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Gotta have orange!!
    Congrats on a fun family!

JT19 likes this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    JT,

Hardly an addiction, barely an obsession,

I've shown mine so many times it's become embarrassing, that's an addiction!

By the by, four real beauties!

BIB.

JT19 likes this.
  7. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Yes, an Aspen Green one will fill out the stable.

Marko60, JT19, audept and 1 other person like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool collection!

You need the Caddy green next.

JT19 and audept like this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Those are beautiful!

I, too, have gotten the collecting bug and can barely control it.

But I have to ask: don't you ever get the urge to play a Tele? Or LP or Strat or Jet?

JT19 likes this.
  10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Name them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Then you have a good reason to get three more, and a good excuse to play a different one every day.

THS3171 and JT19 like this.
  11. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    I have the exact same guitar, year, color, and think it's great.

JT19 likes this.
  12. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Do they make one in Caddy green??? That would be sweet.

No plans to add another one, though. The nook in my home office where I store my guitars fits 4 cases perfectly, so I've adopted a one-in/one-out policy after reaching that capacity... and I don't see myself wanting to part with any of the 4 I've got now.

Besides... 4 G5420T's already feels a bit silly. :cool:

13. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
    It's a shame there is no 5420 in Georgia Green. It would fit perfectly to Atlanta :D

JT19 likes this.
  14. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Gretschie

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    looks like you're missing a few colors.

JT19 likes this.
  15. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes and no.

I like a lot of other guitars. I play clean (or clean-ish) 99% of the time, and my two favorite "sound flavors" are Strats and jazz boxes.

I could own a Strat and a jazz box instead of a couple superfluous G5420T's... and that's probably what most rational people would do if they liked the same sounds I do.

But there are two main reasons I really like having just one type of guitar:

Consistency
    As a long-time performer, I always enjoyed having a back-up guitar that was nearly identical to my main guitar. When I was a performing acoustic fingerstyle player, I often had three identical guitars that I would keep in different alternate tunings, because I like the luxury of not having to constantly switch between those tunings on the same guitar. I like getting really comfortable with the feel of a certain body shape and like the consistency that brings in terms of hand position, neck feel, etc. I just felt that sticking to one type of guitar helped make me a better player.

Although it's been years since I was actively recording and performing, I still like those habits. Switching between different guitars can be a lot of fun, but I still feel like I play better and more consistently the less I switch things up.

Identity
    While there's certainly a lot of appeal to the idea of having a variety of guitars than I could turn to to get particular sounds, I also like the idea of having just one electric guitar that can cover of lot of territory and sort of bonding with that identity.

I was a long-time Strat player, and it was hard to play a Strat without sounding like a (poor) imitation of my guitar influences who also played Strats: Knopfler, Clapton, Cray, Hendrix, SRV (and lesser-known guys like James Calvin Wilsey and Robbie Blunt).

I've also gotten into jazz recently, and love the tone of a warmer humbucker sound on a hollowbody guitar.

The G5420T doesn't sound like either a Strat or a like a true jazz box, of course.... but I can cover all of my musical territory with the Gretsch and get really good sounds without having to switch guitars.

And it sounds more uniquely like "me" than if I was playing a Strat or a jazz box. I think in a way it helps that I didn't choose the Gretsch because I want to sound like an established Gretsch player. None of my biggest influences used Gretsch guitars. I like Brian Setzer and Chet Atkins, but I don't play or sound like either of them.

I also love the Gretsch aesthetic. In a way it also combines those favorite "flavors" by taking the archtop body style of a jazz guitar and adding the fun colors and vibrato of the Strat. :cool:

16. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I'm sure he will be looking for one soon!

JT19 likes this.
  17. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi JT, I love the look of your guitars. I've got a 5420 on my radar to add to the other five guitars I own. I buy guitars to do a job, so each one is different. But with the price point of the 5420t, Gretsch have made a really great guitar more accessible. Thing is, I can't decide between Fairlane Blue and Orange! And no, I can't buy both!

JT19 likes this.
  18. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
    It's pretty easy: If You want a Tenny in orange someday, take a Fairlane Blue.
    If You decide to get a 6120 in orange someday, take the Fairlane.
    If you don't decide to take one of them, take the Fairlane Blue.
    It's very special, pretty cool and not (so) typical GreTscH

hcsterg and JT19 like this.
  19. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Now there's a point, a 5430 in fairlane blue and a 6120 in orange - Simple solution to one of life's deepest questions!

JT19 and THS3171 like this.
  20. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    ONLY THREE MORE AND YOU'LL HAVE ONE FOR EACH DAY OF THE WEEK!

THS3171 and JT19 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.