Mystery not yet solved on the Gretsch G2627T! NO NOT ON SITE BUT NOT DISCONTINUED ?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues, Problems, & Concerns' started by Asclem, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Asclem

Asclem Electromatic

May 6, 2021
    Got one yesterday fresh in box and made last month. Researching this model I found it interesting that it does not appear on the gretsch site and many posts that has been discontinued. Well mine was made last month so let's assume it is still in production.

Why is weight not listed in specs?

Is there a downside to having 3 pickups?

Why is this one not being promoted more on the streamliner ads?

Is this model a limited rune special addition of What?

Thanks in advance for your response and information.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum @Asclem . My guess is , it's a FSR ( Factory Special Run ) . Where did you purchase it ? Guitar companies will make FSR for places like Guitar Center / Musicians Friend

3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to Gretsch-Talk.
    Congrats on the new guitar. I've been tempted by them just for the 3 pickups. Enjoy.

4. Asclem

Asclem Electromatic

May 6, 2021
    Guitar Center it was on sale last week for 450 150 off. So 600 now. Georgia green is growing on me. It actually changes color depending on lighting

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Asclem

Asclem Electromatic

May 6, 2021
    ThAnks

thunder58 likes this.
  6. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I was confused by that last year, when I bought my first guitar -- a Georgia Green G2627T for $419. A few weeks later the same thing went on sale again for $399. Whatever... it's a really nice guitar for the money. Some of us mod the pickup poles (see the Streamliner forum). Yes, they are an FSR for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend (in my mind that should make the number produced a limited thing, but apparently not).
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy that new, pretty, guitar!

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats! I succumbed to a barrel stain one a few months ago.

The biggest downside to three pickups for me is that the middle one can really get in the way if you have it at a height where most pickups will actually sound good there. This is sort of compounded for me by the low string height on this model, but I'm finding the TVJ Starwood Tele neck I swapped into the middle position of mine to still sound good enough I'd want to use it w/ the body of the cover only a millimeter or so above its ring. I really like the stock switching setup they went w/ on these, probably my favorite approach in any 3 pickup guitar I've played.

MrWookiee likes this.
  8. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I believe these were only made for GC/MF, maybe just not selling well, cat-eyes aren't everyone's bag of chips.

9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yes-- you wouldn't find it anywhere but Guitar Center/ Musician's Friend-- it was an FSR exclusive for them.

scrimmer likes this.
  10. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, @Asclem !
    welcome mat 117.jpg

12. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the first generation G5622T with 3 pickups. To be honest, it's the most versatile Gretch I've had in 50 years.

Henry likes this.
  13. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I got the white one. I have no issues with the middle pick up being in the way. But I can see there being styles where that could be in the way.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, enjoy the new guitar!

15. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    I bought a shoreline gold one at my local GC and was told it was a factory special run at the time.
    Got lucky that day. Was in the store for some strings and saw an employee unbox and hang up in stock.
    Walked over, picked it up off hanger and then brought it home before everybody's dirty mitts got all over it!

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Asclem,

Welcome to the Forum.

The three PU, double cut/cat's eye Streamliner is currently available at a number of retailers.

As has already been mentioned, may be a factory Limited Run. Guitar is very inexpensive, making it attractive to the entry level market. Looks nice in black.

Hope you got the correct Gretsch case as well.

Gretsch is pretty good about responding to inquiries, suggest dropping them a line.

Best,

BIB.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.