My Summer Project

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by new6659, Aug 23, 2021.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Yes, built from scratch using rough, kiln dried lumber which I plane and dimension to make usable.

Ontario is lucky in having a good resource of maple, black walnut, cherry, ash (?) and poplar. The mahogany I used on the neck came from the stores of a fine furniture maker who went out of business about 40 years ago (I still have enough of that to make about 20 more necks of this type).

I do have lots of pictures but I think I constructed the body around 2013 so I'll have to do a bit of searching. I started making this neck in July just past. Let me see what I can find....

Stefan87 likes this.
  2. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
  3. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    looks really nice! Thanks for sharing :)

new6659 likes this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

amp360 likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Hi @Stefan87 - is there something you would like to see in particular? have quite a few photos of the neck being made but haven't had time to look for how the body was constructed.

This is the body I just finished in this thread

upload_2021-9-16_0-56-11.jpeg

This body is an attempt to do a sunburst

upload_2021-9-16_0-56-41.jpeg

This lovely piece of wood is going to get my attention next

upload_2021-9-16_0-57-10.jpeg

hcsterg likes this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey @new6659
    No nothing in particular just love to see what people can make from a slab of wood/metal, it's a skill that I admire as it just shows how creative a person can be. The bodys look great buy the way, have you had a go at any other shapes?

On a side note, I showed my wife some pics of your G6131, she liked it lol... so at least that side of things would be ok if I ever get the funds together.

new6659 likes this.
  7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Good for you with the G6131, @Stefan87. That guitar just has so much Class!

I do have a drawing of the Gretsch Billy Bo on hand but, right now, I want to get these old bodies I've made out of the way.

Here is a recent one with a smaller body (Les Paul-ish size)
    upload_2021-9-16_21-12-32.jpeg

hcsterg and Stefan87 like this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That one is really cool, have you done a few of the smaller bodies? do you just make them to play them or do you end up selling any once you have made a few?

9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

So far, I don't sell them because I know where all the tiny flaws are:oops: but I do play them.

I find that finishing is a real challenge for me but this is now getting better. When I get my quality where I want it to be I might sell some... but so far I mostly give them away.

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.