My playing is actually getting worse.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Electromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Not playing w/ humans definitely affects rhythm & timing. 4 walls can't replace that feedback. Like many, I use utoob backing tracks to help w/ this.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. From the opening of the video:
    it appears that its really important to append to an old song:
    “the wrist bone ain’t connected to the arm bone.”

Great comment by John John:

“I just lost like 20 picks.”

3. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I haven't read the rest of the thread yet but also have to give a "thumbs up" for backing tracks.

Most of my playing is soloing or soloing mixed with rhythm as if I was in a power trio. I also like to watch someone else for some immediate direction and then head to my guitar room and get going with the same process.

I'll watch Gregor Hilden on the Greg's Guitar page on youtube and either create a good rhythm groove with my looper or use my Digitech Trio. If timing is an issue, it gets fixed and then realize that my timing was really only off because I had to "switch-up" how I was practicing and what material I was playing.

I've heard some say that they feel that the quality of their playing declines because of boredom.

Gregor likes this.
  4. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Electromatic

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I can see that, quality of playing declining due to boredom. Like many, I haven't played with anyone else since this pandemic started. Damn, it's been since October or November 2019...

My bass playing has improved but my guitar playing has worsened in my mind. I think partly it's because all I'm doing is working on recording original songs and teaching myself mixing and mastering. I doing so, I think I get into my own head.

When I practice, I sing and play guitar at the same time. When I record, I lay down the guitar track along with the drum machine then the vocals separately and I become very conscious of what I'm doing and start second guessing myself as I'm doing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.