My Mid-Life Crisis Gretsch

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by David_GS, Nov 26, 2020.

1. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    It's such a great guitar.

2. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    Yeah, it's a limited edition (although, I'm not sure how 'limited' it is), so far it's a pretty versatile guitar.

3. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    I can see this becoming an expensive hobby. I'm not really a material possession kinda guy but ever since I got this, I'm still looking at other Gretsch guitars online and combing the used ads. I'd probably even pick up some merch if it wasn't double the price with shipping to Canada.

4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar @David_GS , nothing " low end " about that IMO . I'm a stay at home player myself , and at almost 62 yrs of age , the White Falcon is still on my list ;) Enjoy the music

David_GS likes this.
  6. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    Thanks!

thunder58 likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A "low end" Gretsch is better than many "top end" guitars. Yours is a beauty. I'm not gigging, and don't warrant a high end instrument. My 3140 is finer than I'd ever thought possible for the cost.
    Oh, and, welcome to the asylum!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    David_GS likes this.
  8. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    I don't gig either, but I do some home recording and so far the guitar sounds great so I'm looking forward to putting it to the test!

wabash slim likes this.
  9. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    They call it "Midnight Satin," which has a nice ring to it.

10. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm in the midst of my own mid-life Gretsch crisis. After playing nothing but golden era (pre 1965) Gretsches for my entire guitar playing life, I suddenly lost my nerve and couldn't stomach taking my '59 Gent out to gigs. Every fat chick drunkenly dancing backwards on a collision course with my monitor has been a guaranteed panic attack for a couple of years now. And I only own one guitar, so I don't have a backup. When we play Folsom Prison Blues and the drunks start two stepping, I literally hide behind my drummer. I don't know how or why it happened, but it did. Some very old and magnificent guitars got to work some dumps they were too good for, but I'm out.

David_GS likes this.
  11. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    Oh, interesting, that must be nerve wracking. Getting a cheaper newer model definitely sounds like the way to go.

12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Welcome from the Upper Beach! Congrats on pulling off the midlife crisis guitar purchase. I keep angling for it, by my wife doesn't think I'll live until I'm 112.

13. doctorSlo

doctorSlo Synchromatic

Aug 22, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What's better than getting a new Gretsch? Getting another one. [​IMG]

David_GS likes this.
  14. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    True! I knew that buying a new guitar wouldn't buy me time to play that guitar, which is partly why I held off so long. But we'll see what I do with it (I definitely have been playing more).

doctorSlo likes this.
  15. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Great choice, fantastic guitars

David_GS likes this.
  16. fleetwoodPC

fleetwoodPC Electromatic

Nov 20, 2020
    Phila
  17. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Welcome. Lovely guitar! I admire trhe 2420's but I've never had a chance to play one with the p 90. I had a 2420 and liked it so much I gave it to my sister, who is a song writer. I thought an electric guitar might inspire her to try to write new kinds of material. I don't regret the gift, but now I'm in the market to get another 2420 for myself because I miss the guitar. They are very versatile, as well as beautifully designed.

David_GS likes this.
  18. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hey I sold two Pro Series Gretsch's and am Electromatic and (no accounting for my tastes though) I totally prefer the way my Streamliner plays. Gretsch has done an outstanding job on this series as far as I am concerned. Congrats on your new Gretsch and I really like the pickup combination.

David_GS likes this.
  19. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    Wow, you're a great brother! What has she been able to do with it so far?

20. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    I like the pickup combination as well. There was a used 5122 locally that came with a case that would have been cheaper but I fell in love with this one. I was looking at a used Domino and when that sold I pulled the trigger on this. The used 5122 is still for sale:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2599615786830163/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Mark W likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.