My Gretsch G6118T-LIV

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Hi all!

New to the forum and very excited to get into the world of Gretsch guitars. I bought a G6118T-LIV a while ago, absolute beauty. Always wanted a Gretsch and finally had the dough to buy this one.

I visited Gretsch-talk quite a lot and now I have a question. I recently got myself a stainless steel Compton bridge, very happy with it! Sound has improved a lot over the rocking bar bridge. :)

Now when I try to set the intonation and move the bridge base at the bass side, my low E starts moving around in the groove which gives a very metallic ring and I can feel it skipping in the groove. I'm using the strings for which it was made by Wayne. Is this something I can fix myself easily?
Thanks in advance guys! And here is a picture of the beauty! :)

Kind regards,

Leslie

Attachments

• 16497906572517745859236612104037.jpg
    16497906572517745859236612104037.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 16

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Edit: Sorry, should've mentioned that the ringing occurs when I strum the low E string. In the position it is in now, I don't have the issue but intonation is a little off.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Welcome to the forum, @Leslie1993 ! I don't think that it's normal for your low E to be skipping in the groove. The bridge doesn't appear to be at a severe angle so it shouldn't be happening. Have you contacted Wayne to report the problem? Dutch welcome mat 2.jpg

Last edited:

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Welcome to the forum, @Leslie1993 ! I don't think that it's normal for your low E to be skipping in the groove. The bridge doesn't appear to be at a severe angle so it shouldn't be happening. Have you contacted Wayne to report the problem?
Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome. I haven't contacted Wayne just yet but will do that when I'm out of options. I will drop a clear picture of the bridge tonight. It's only in certain bridge positions that the string starts skipping, but it still shouldn't be there right? Maybe it's a bit too shallow..

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! The Compton wouldn't be reversed now would it? Cause that never happened to me.🙄
I'm fairly sure it's not, lower strings in tbe bigger grooves and higher strings in the smaller grooves. Actually, tried reversing it and while I got rid of the rattle on the low E, the high E started skipping in the way too big groove haha

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I'm fairly sure it's not, lower strings in tbe bigger grooves and higher strings in the smaller grooves. Actually, tried reversing it and while I got rid of the rattle on the low E, the high E started skipping in the way too big groove haha

Ok with the obvious out of the way...
The saddle grooves/notches are made perpendicular to the bridge. That means as soon as you angle the bridge, instead of the string running straight through(or rather over) it catches the side of the groove. This effect gets compounded by (besides it being the low E which has the largest excursion of all strings), wear of the groove.
You could try a heavier string gauge, or carefully file the one edge where it catches the string.

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Ok with the obvious out of the way...
The saddle grooves/notches are made perpendicular to the bridge. That means as soon as you angle the bridge, instead of the string running straight through(or rather over) it catches the side of the groove. This effect gets compounded by (besides it being the low E which has the largest excursion of all strings), wear of the groove.
You could try a heavier string gauge, or carefully file the one edge where it catches the string.
Thanks Ricochet, will fiddle around with the bridge position and see if I can get rid if the rattle and check the intonation carefully!

Leslie1993

Electromatic
Apr 12, 2022
Netherlands
Please post a picture of the bridge close up.
Hi Henry, as I encounter no problem with the rest of the strings please find the picture of the low E groove here. In the current setup, I face no problem with rattle except for the intonation being slightly off.

Attachments

• 16498707730441557996512857454928.jpg
    16498707730441557996512857454928.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts