My First proline Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Marv666, Sep 17, 2021.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Looks great - congratulations!

Marv666 likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Absolutely beautiful and congratulations on your dream guitar

Marv666 likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Wow, it’s a stunner!
    I love my Bamboo Yellow Rally, it really shines (in the sense that’s very few of them) out there.
    Congrats, and enjoy it. Guitars are meant to be played, that’s what they’re built for! :D

Craig Encinitas and Marv666 like this.
  4. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    These are really cool too!

stiv likes this.
  5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Marv,

Thanks for making me drool, the last one I saw was in 2004, the owner wanted TVJ classics installed. About 8 months, after installation he said that the guitar was not what he wanted. His wife hated the color (????), and he said that it was too big, he offered to sell it. At that time I had three kids in a Catholic School, and a Mother-In-Law who needed help with medical bills. I walked away from it, with many regrets. I am glad that there are others out there that also loved that color. Thanks for sharing your happy success story, these are "keepers".

Marv666 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  6. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Super nice Marv, congrats!

Marv666 likes this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Absolutely beautiful, Marv! I can sure understand how a guitar can get under your skin at a young age (or even an older age ;)). Congrats on finding your dream guitar!

Marv666 likes this.
  8. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I love the color so much, but some friends aren't into the color aswell haha.
    Actually they come with tv jones classics stock as they were a limited Edition instead of the normal double anniversary :)

Henry and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    A yellow Kia looks like crap and a yellow corvette looks awesome. You’re way closer to the corvette.

10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Marv,

You are correct, that's why the customer wanted the TVJ Classics installed. These were switched out for Dynas, by the previous owner, and he wanted the TVJ Classics, because he hated the humming.

A very nice desirable guitar for sure.

Craig Encinitas and Marv666 like this.
  11. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Marv - enjoy that beautiful beast! Rock!

Marv666 likes this.
  12. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    My favourite Gretsch 6118 anni is the smoke green but your bamboo yellow looks a real stunner,
    I love it!!
    CONGRATS!

Marv666 likes this.
  13. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Gorgeous!! Congratulations and enjoy your new treasure!

Marv666 likes this.
  14. Gretscher

Gretscher Electromatic

Aug 31, 2021
    Gretschland
    What a beautiful guitar!

Marv666 likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    CONGRETSCHULATIONS! bamboo yellow copper2.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Marv666 likes this.
  16. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    Looks really nice. And sooooo good that you have the guitar that burnt its way into your mind those many years ago!

Marv666 likes this.
  17. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    +1

I never understood buying expensive guitars and taking your dumpster dive special to a gig. If a club is so unsafe my guitar isn't safe, I'm probably not safe either. Just use a little common sense - make sure the gear isn't unattended and keep your guitar either on a stand or in its case while you're not playing it.

18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats! Love the copper color.

Marv666 likes this.
  19. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Made to be played! Play it in good health.

Marv666 likes this.
  20. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Maybe my "trashy bars" are different from your "trashy clubs."

I've learned not to take my expensive (in this case $4K and up) guitars to play bar gigs, and while you haven't learned that lesson, it's one that I hope you can avoid.

My early experience with this environment was with a Hammond B3 and a Fender Rhodes 88, and it's a lot more difficult to break one of those. I started in bars on Sinsinawa Avenue in East Dubuque, Illinois long ago, and fights broke out on Friday and Saturday nights, with the combatants cozy again on Sunday evening. A Les Paul makes a dandy defensive weapon. I've played in bars in Napa Valley where the band didn't have a stage, but was in a corner of the dance floor on the same level, with the microphone stands a sort of virtual barrier between us and them. It wasn't unusual to have large inebriated humans lose their balance and crash into the band, leaving a trail of destruction during the collision. We were inundated with all manner of fluids and semi-solids, including almost everything that can go into the alimentary canal of a human and everything that can leak out.

Theft is a separate issue, and while it's difficult to pocket a Hammond B3 and sneak out with it, folks have stuffed frikkin' guitars down their pants in guitar stores (there's video). If you've got just one guitar, it's easier to keep your eyes on it than if you've got several. I gig with at least two, because it's sort of unprofessional to cancel the gig halfway into the night because your primary isn't working and you don't have a backup. Meanwhile, most guitars and other music gear disappears during load in and load out, when you have to go back for a second round of gear.

I don't gig with "the best sounding guitar I have" because there are usually other musicians masking the sound of my lovely guitar, including aggressive drummers, and the bars I frequent are never NOT noisy as hell all by themselves. So it just doesn't matter that I'm playing the best sounding guitar I have. There's not THAT much difference between the best sounding guitar I have and the crappiest (I make sure that's the case or I don't own it), and cork sniffery never got me paid more. And finally, the acoustics in most trashy bars don't support "best sounding guitars" anyway. Treble is largely lost in the first 10 rows of audience. We've long since figured out that we need to sound good in the second set . During the first set, people are coming in and getting drinks and seeing who's there. During the second set they're listening to the band and dancing. During the last set, they're trying to hook up (and they're usually too drunk to notice) with whomever else is looking to hook up, and they're trying to find their car keys.

A ship may be made for sailing the seas, but you don't intentionally take your super yacht through waters teaming with a wolfpack of cranky submarine captains.

Marv666 and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.