My First Gretsch, Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by prostix, Oct 17, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ah .... your first guitar ....and it won't be the last . Enjoy the journey

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , what took ya so long :p

3. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Most gold on guitars is plated very very thin, so it wears off quickly.

I recommend putting several coats of carnauba wax (the paste wax in a tin) on all the metal bits before you get into playing it a lot, and never ever use anything that says "polish" on the label. The more you polish, the less gold you have. It also helps to keep the gold free of sweat; there are micropores in the plating (one of the other reasons you want to wax it) and if sweat gets into those, it can corrode the metals beneath the gold, causing the gold to flake off. Gold itself doesn't corrode, but the other materials below it will.

And finally, find a good plating shop in your area that can do gold plating. If you can get your gold replated, it will be a far thicker plate than any of the manufacturers put on, and could last the rest of your guitar's life. I've done this with a couple of ancient guitars that I've restored.

OTOH, I've also got a '70's Gibson L5S that's somehow managed to retain nearly all of its original gold plating. Carnauba wax...

Dumbthumbs and new6659 like this.
  4. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
    Very nice GreTscH. Love it. Have lots of fun with it! :)

5. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I would suggest just embracing the wear and tear from normal use. It gives you street cred....or something. xD

6. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

If you are really set on that particular finish, then go for it.

However, you could get one of the standard models for less. That would then give you money towards a couple of likely upgrades. If you are going to play a a lot and use a strap, some better quality strap buttons would be advisable. There are a number of threads mentioning having to replace the originals as they strip out. I had to on my 5622. The other upgrade might be replacing the stock TOM bridge with either a quality bar bridge (e.g. TruArc or Compton) or something like an ABM-2400. Any of these three should be a simple swap for the original.

Shop around a bit if you can and try a few different ones. From playing a few, my experience is that they vary a bit in terms of acoustic liveliness and tuning stability. The latter is fixable but helpful if you can get one that doesn't need it.

Dumbthumbs and section2 like this.
  7. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    Welcome aboard! Yes, I fell for the gold bling, but like JC Higgy, I'll just accept the wear. fitty-fo.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    JC higgy, new6659 and thunder58 like this.
  8. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    Yes, and if you choose a git with gold hardware, you'll want gold Schallert strap locks. A little more to think about.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Any GRETSCH is a great choice ! :cool::cool::cool:

Of course, you could buy a Gibson o_O, or worse : a Fender... :eek:

But it will never be :(, never-never-never-never-never-never-never-never-never-never, etc... :rolleyes:

Congratulations in advance ! ;)

A+!

rake_ether likes this.
  10. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Enjoy the gold but embrace the patina.. unfortunately it’s inevitable…the gold is soft and wears.. don’t use abrasive polishes you can literally clean the gold right off your hardware…
    Noice choice!!!

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.