My First Gretsch, Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by prostix, Oct 17, 2021.

1. prostix

prostix Electromatic

Mar 9, 2012
    SC
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really interested in buying a used or new Gretsch Electromatic for my first guitar. But I'm not finding any used ones to buy so i found this. It's a New Gretsch G5420TG Limited Edition Electronatic. 50's Hollow Body, Single Cut with Bigsby, Orange Stain. The price is $999. (uploaded a pic)
    Is this a good choice or is the better choice the G5420T for a bit lower price? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    That's really pretty. Be warned that the gold plating will begin to wear off. It will last longer if you minimize handling of plated parts and gently wipe your hand oils off them before putting the guitar away.

3. JLILL

JLILL Electromatic

Jun 5, 2021
    Florida
    I recently bought the standard orange 5420 T new for just over 800. Either way call the seller and see what their best prices. I saved a fair amount at Sweetwater.

Archtops and wabash slim like this.
  4. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Any 5420 is a great choice. If you prefer the look of the limited edition then go for that(you're paying a premium for it being limited, whatever that means). I've got a 5420 in Aspen Green and I think it's the most beautiful color.

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice way to start with the classic big orange hollowbody. Welcome!

capnhiho likes this.
  6. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I recently bought an Aspen Green G5420T, no gold. Yours is way snazzy, congrats.

thunder58 and Archtops like this.
  7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I like that beautiful Orange LE model but wouldn't buy one. Personally, I don't care for the gold, especially as it wears off. The others are about $200 less.

You can stop by a Guitar Center or other dealer to try them. There are lots of colors of G5420s, that is probably one of the most popular models.
    For used guitars you can check Reverb or watch CL or FB marketplace.
    Gretsch G5420T Electromatic Hollow Body | Reverb

thunder58 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    How ya doin'?
    Personally, I'd avoid gold as the others have mentioned. Other than that, you've chosen a Gretsch, so, that's a good move. Check Sweetwater for prices---well respected outfit.

9. prostix

prostix Electromatic

Mar 9, 2012
    SC
    Thanks for all the great info. I will rethink getting the gold finish. Anyone have one used for sale?

10. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Go for the gold! Just keep it clean. Best of luck!

0FEB74F4-32B0-484C-BF38-4D0BE2F7A97F.jpeg
    302639EB-0B90-4420-BD8F-7F04BF57734F.jpeg

11. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum Jeremiah.

12. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Welcome, Jeremiah! For my first guitar I bought a Gretsch Streamliner (G2627T) simply because it popped up as a special deal for $419. I couldn't be happier with it though I'll admit to having made some cosmetic mods since I took the avatar photo, and removing a row of poles in each pickup (easy, cheap, and reversible!)

13. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Gold plate is fine. I love it on my guitars. And it is cheap to replat yourself. But most do not know how or want replat it at all and says it gives mojo. Or is disguised with the idea of gold plate on a guitar.

Archtops likes this.
  14. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    You can check for used guitars at most Guitar Centers as well as Music Go Round, if there are any nearby you. (Maybe worth a road trip to Duluth or Greensboro?)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  15. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Or Guitar Center website. They have lots of used Gretsches, also that model. Shipping is modest $25 and they have a return policy if you don't like what you receive.

16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I think that one is a great choice and would have bought one if I didn't have an Aspen Green one.

The gold plate doesn't bother me at all. In fact I'm waiting on a G6120TG-DS to arrive next month.

Any G5420T will be a fine guitar, so no worries there. Good luck in your choice.

Archtops and rake_ether like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I like that model,love the inlays,I've just excepted that gold hardware will wear off ,and just enjoy it.:)

Dumbthumbs likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    This is a fine Gretsch to start with.The price is alright.

19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    The G5420T is probably one of 'the' models to chose if you are wanting to start in the world of Gretsch.

20. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome! I'll echo what everyone has said: the 5420 is an excellent guitar and a great intro to Gretsch. That limited edition is pretty—I like the gold hardware and matching headstock—but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a used 5420 at a lower price if you shop around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.