My Favorite Talking Heads Track

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 16, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Probably two of the most mainstream/obvious, but I think Once In A Lifetime just edges out Psycho Killer for me.

3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I don't have one.....I mean JUST one.....and my favorites change quite a bit....

But, Burning Down the House, Girlfriend is Better and Life During Wartime are three that are generally up near the top.....and I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot of the "deep cuts" from their material.

When I was in college back in the mid-late 80's, I had a class called "Great Ideas"....which was sort of a philosophy/literature class....we read things like The Bible (New and Old testaments), The Odyssey, The Stranger, Faust, etc etc etc....

Anyway, the professor I had for that course was a HUGE fan of David Byrne and The Talking Heads and integrated a lot of Byrne's lyrics into the class....

It's a shame I took that course when I was 18......I'd have appreciated it MUCH more now. Back then, I was more interested in girls and booze and having fun.....

4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I Zimbra. Life during wartime.

ishtar likes this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Same here, plus Road to Nowhere.
    And I got a thing for:

6. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i zimbra. road to nowhere. psycho killer. sax and violins. life during wartime.

but really? whatever song of theirs is on.

OzzPocket and ishtar like this.
  7. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

How can I pick just one... Almost certainly something from

More Songs about Buildings and Food , Fear Of Music.

I've hardly ever listened to 77, having bought it sometime in the last 10 years. So maybe my favourite track is on that one. I must give it a spin and some listening time.
    I could get lost in Little Creatures too.

There are gaps to fill...

ishtar likes this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    I wasn't a big fan but some of their hits were enjoyable. Take Me To the River probably at the top of the list.

ishtar likes this.
  9. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

I bought the More Songs About Buildings and Food LP because of Take Me to the River. I had Al Green’s original rendition on a 7” 45rpm.
    I believe that was when Talking Heads displaced my Steely Dan obsession.
    I heard/saw them at the University of Minnesota’s Northrup Auditorium between Speaking in Tongues and Stop Making Sense. my brother had gone to the Dayton’s Ticketmaster office in St. Paul the morning tickets were on sale, and got front row seats on the floor. Very loud and non stop energy. I recall turning around and looking at the balcony and it was packed and visibly oscillating with dancing people.
    I have gone to listen to David Byrne several times over the years. Never have been disappointed.

Anyone see the McDormant/Penn film, This Must Be the Place? Interesting film with a part where David Byrne plays himself with a concert scene with him doing Naive Melody. There’s a few other renditions of the song throughout the soundtrack.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    heinzman and drmilktruck like this.
  10. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I Zimbra may be the only one I like, but I like it a lot.

ishtar likes this.
  11. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    The Great Curve and Crosseyed and Painless rank pretty high on my list, but that whole Remain In Light album is just perfect. Don't Worry About the Government is an early favorite.

I was a huge Talking Heads fan back in the day. Still am, really. Highly recommend catching Byrne's American Utopia film if you want a very enjoyable stroll down that road again.

12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thing fall apart... it’s scientific...

Nubs, DougieNorrie, ishtar and 2 others like this.
  13. He is a strange man to understand for sure. I dont know the details as to why he wont play with the original lineup. That irks me a bit. However, stop makin sense was one of the best concerts i saw on tape. Wished I saw it in person. The last one that just came out on video is also superb, they are all inside the one stage in grey.

ishtar likes this.
  14. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Of course I have many other TH songs I love a lot, here's a sample of some not mentioned above:

ishtar and jml77 like this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you have HBO, check out his movie there!

ishtar likes this.
  16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Stay Hungry. The guitars sound great, the groove is deep, the production is terrific.

Despite having been a fan since, well, '77 I only found out last week that David Byrne is actually Scottish. Born in Dumbarton to Scottish parents, he didn't move to the States until he was 8. I did not know that.

17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was listening to Stay Hungry just before I pulled my car into the driveway this morning!

David has also been very open about his autism. (Not likely diagnosed when he was young - people probably just thought him strange and socially awkward - but later he came to recognize neurodiverse characteristics in himself.)

ishtar likes this.
  19. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    (Nothing but) Flowers, is by far my favourite, but going through this thread, I'm reminded of how many other great songs they have. In Johnny Marr's (The Smiths) memoir, Set the Boy Free, he wrote about how he was brought in to play guitar on that track, couldn't come up with anything, went for a walk, then lay the guitar track down in one take. And I think that stands out as their most distinct guitar-based track:

20. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    So many, but Burning Down the House.

SAguitar, ishtar and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.