My Electromatic

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by asphodel, Apr 6, 2021.

1. asphodel

asphodel Newbie

Jan 14, 2019
    Ruhr Area Germany
    Every now and then when I check Gretsch Talk the word Electromatic pops up in connection with cheap and oh-my and why and can't wait until I get my ... etc.

I would be interested in knowing why my Gretsch Electromatic, Model 6182, from 1955 just ain't up to scratch.

2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Electromatics are held in high esteem here and are much more affordable than a pro line Gretsch.
    Let's see your 1955!

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The Electromatic-brand was used for thet entry-level Gretsch guitar line at the end of the century.

They have little in common with the Gretsch Electromatics fom the midth of the last century.
    These were built in the US.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah, Electromatics from that vintage are well regarded. Search some Gretsch history on the net- I personally am proud my headstock carries the name (although Korean from 2010).

wraith and Les Pedals like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, asphodel!
    german welcome mat 3.jpg

Les Pedals likes this.
  6. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    Welcome, I get everything Gretsch from my Electromatic’s and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Archtops likes this.
  7. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Welcome, asphodel! Got 3 Electromatics and I love mine! :)

Archtops likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I had one of those, I regret selling it. 50s Electromatic models are great. Welcome!

Not mine.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.29.03 PM.png

9. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Although many Gretsch fans complained about the "Electromatic" headstock logo, it had a strong history behind it. My first 2 Gretsch guitars were the early Electromatics and I'm proud to have them showing on the headstocks! And their quality vs price points are one of the best in the market IMHO!

10. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to G-T! I find all Gretsch guitars up to scratch.

Wjensen and Outlaw like this.
  11. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Asphodel, welcome to the forum. But I would like to hear specifically what your complaint is?

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , where have you been these past 2 years ? Electromatics are GREAT ! I sure miss my G5120 Electromatic

13. wraith

wraith Electromatic

Oct 22, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have one like that and I love it! I replaced the electronics with TV Jones early and put a Reverend spring in it recently, but that’s it. Probably the guitar I pick up the most.

14. petecarlton

petecarlton Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Nottingham, UK
    Not enough discussion on this forum of the Electromatic basses, IMHO. My G2220 Jet Junior short-scale produces thunderous yet warm tones that rival any of the basses I've owned.

15. Fancy is her name

Fancy is her name Electromatic

Mar 15, 2018
    Nashville

My Gretsch is also made in Korea, and frankly I don’t understand why you made that statement? Are Korean products sub-par? Mine is a special edition, 24 made, 12 lefties and 12 righties never to be produced again. I had her set up with my luthier, but before I could get her to his shop I played her and straight out the box was enjoyable. Love my Electromatic BALTO.

16. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I never had any issue with Electromatics. There've been a few folks who were adamant that they were subpar, but they look great and I've always found that with a little attention paid to a proper set-up, they play well and sound good and what else is there? They're great value for the money, and excellent platforms for modification if that's your thing. I would be a little hesitant to do a lot of crazy things to a pro line, but my Pro Jet and 5120 are both very personalized at this point. It's also nice to know that if gigging and rehearsing and life in general take a toll in wear and tear, or if you worry about theft or damage, the risk is to a sub-$1000 guitar and not a high end axe.

-m

Archtops and L Robbins like this.
  17. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Welcome :D looks like everything w is said already :p I'd like to add tho, that the electronics introduced in the new era, especially since the update are just "cheap" compared to pro series. They're a lot of guitar for the money into. And a nice upgradable platform :D absolutely love mine

IMG_20210208_191711693.jpg

Archtops likes this.
  18. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    @Fancy is her name -
    This was a reference to the original post, in which he states his is a 1955, and would have been made in the USA. Mine is 2010, from Korea.

19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    got 3, dig every one of em, Orange 5120 gets more play than any of my other guitars
    0F00F5D9-BFA6-48E6-A342-BF246EB9C598.jpeg

Gregor likes this.
  20. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Wow, trying to reply to a thread at night from my cell phone, makes for some strange auto completed sentences :confused::rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.