My DREAM Gretsch is ......................

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by waswell, Jan 12, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A Falcon-version of my 1959 RI 6119 Tennie with a single Powertron at the bridge would be my dream-Gretsch.

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    This one is my dream come true.

20191130_134356.jpg 20200722_211412.jpg 20200113_152322.jpg 20191101_161608.jpg

mrfixitmi, new6659, JC higgy and 2 others like this.
  3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That would be a Duo Jet with Dynas, small head, V-cut Bigsby, Humpblock inlays and probably only mastervolume and mastertone. Black would be fine, but some silver sparkle would be nice, too. Chrome hardware for me, please.

Lindo and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal

Yes, the black 7594 is a rare bird indeed.

In the recent "Black Gretsch" thread I included a picture of a 7594 Black Falcon with some comments. To my knowledge these were only made during the FGE days in the 1990s and only 100 of them were made, none have been made since, and they are quite rare. Unlike the newer BF DC 6636 models with a 16" bout and pinned bridge, the FGE era 7594 has the full 17" lower bout and a floating bridge. But being an FGE era model Falcon, it has some peculiarities including the shape, which is more "bulbous" than both the earlier Gretsch and later Fender era 7594 Falcons. Also many of the FGE Falcons had Grover Rotomatic type tuners rather than the Imperials, a 5 ply top and ceramic magnet pickups. The later "Fender era" Falcons have Grover Imperial tuners, 3 ply tops, and I think I've read AlNiCo pickups rather than ceramic ones. If anyone has further info about this, I would like to be better informed about the lore of the instruments from the FGE period.

I have a FGE 6136 White Falcon (this is the picture from my avatar). I bought this new in 1996 before the association with Fender. This was and still is my dream guitar, but it's not without the peculiarities - the Grover Rotomatic tuners, a different style roller bridge, flattened upper bout shape (compared to earlier and later Falcons), no etched pattern on the humpblock inlays, no sparkle binding on the cutaway side to connect the top and back sparkle binding. You can easily identify a FGE Falcon from these attributes. Then there are the other things that are not so obvious like the 5 ply top and ceramic magnet pickups. I've thought about adding a Bigsby, changing the pickups, and tuning keys, bridge, etc..., but have decided I won't do it and will keep it as an all original FGE Falcon as I am accustomed to it being this way and I like it this way.

I also want to keep it all original as a tribute to the people who revived the Gretsch brand back in the 1990s.

DSCN1606.JPG

mrfixitmi, new6659 and Ando like this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

That's why the Custom Shop exists, to make dreams come true (and, of course, drain bank accounts).

mbkri likes this.
  6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I don’t know what it would be my dream Gretsch anymore. Every time I try one I never tried before, I fell in love...:D
    Fer sure I know what it would be two Gretsch I’ll love forever: my ‘89 6120 and my ‘67 Rally. ;)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

... definitely white...

8. waswell

waswell Electromatic

Jan 10, 2013
    KCMO
    I loved the tour video. It was an eye opener in the sense of how "low-tech" the factory seemed yet they produce fantastic guitars. It's apparent experienced craftsmen work there and they take a lot of pride in their art !! Glad you enjoyed it.

9. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Any Falcon or Country Club with a V-neck, 9 1/2" radius, and medium jumbo frets. Basically a Setzer style neck on a large single cut Gretsch body.

Anybody know where I can find one of these?

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Sounds like a Custom Shop guitar.

I love the Vintage "V" neck profile too, but have never seen it on a long scale neck.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Yeah, I figured that. I'm so used to the Setzer neck on my 6120 that I'll eventually pony up the money for a bare bones Custom Shop Club or Falcon with those neck specs.

G5422T likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, know what you're saying.

I like my Phoenix neck. 9.5" radius, larger frets, and feels good, but I do wonder how good it would feel with the "V" profile.

13. ElCidOfZen

ElCidOfZen Newbie

Jan 16, 2021
    Austin, Tx
    To be honest, I love mine. Its already a 6120, with '59 style trestle bracing, a 9.5" neck radius, with a "Soft V" profile, and Setzer pickups.

From there, I added:
    *Duane Eddy trem arm
    *Callaham String-Thru Bar
    *Reverend Spring
    *Compton Chambered Titanium Bridge
    *Brass Nut
    *Brass 'Blazing Dice' truss rod cover
    *Custom made, volume knob.
    *D'Addario Universal Strap Locks

Its probably not the perfect guitar, but it's perfect for me

IMG_20201227_195107.jpg

new6659, Shock, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  14. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    Any Japanese or US Gretsch would be a dream for me.
    uc18091714_lg5_ebay.jpg

Shock, G5422T and mrfixitmi like this.
  15. Eford

Eford Electromatic

Feb 7, 2020
    NC
  16. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    It's Cadillac Green, I'm easy though when it comes to price tag, G5220 or the G5230T.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.