My dog, my best friend. Let's see some pics of your dog!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gold Penguin, Feb 21, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Our beloved Bella:
    IMG_0325(1).JPG
    When she died last year it broke our hearts. Such a lovely, lovely creature and beautiful soul.
    She was like a second child to us and was pure therapy for my wife who is suffering from mental illness.
    In fact we are still mourning.
    IMG_2247.JPG
    Good girl. Rest in peace.
    I never thought that I would even miss your snore in the night...

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    9C56842C-B17E-4C47-B705-4B95C8A66F36.jpeg
    Pete is our Jack Russell with a Yorkie paint job. BOUNDLESS energy and gives (and takes) lots of love!

3. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

A good age. Clearly well loved and cared for. Hope you get a little longer before that heart break.

Gold Penguin and radd like this.
  4. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Gold Penguin and Stefan87 like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Why do I feel as though I am always at work ............:p

IMG_1971.JPG

Waxhead, loudnlousy, T-Bawler and 9 others like this.
  6. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    So, I have been looking to rescue a dog for a LONG time now, and a few weeks ago I found her. This is Birdie. Birdie is a 7 year old Boston Terrier who has been a breeder dog her whole life. Now she is a spoiled rotten little best pal a fella could ever have. I had 2 Boston Terriers years ago, and I missed em, so Birdie fits all the bills perfectly for me! She also helped me keep my sanity during the big freeze here in DFW.

Y'all meet Birdie:
    IMG_3318.jpg IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3355.jpg IMG_3346.jpg

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    He looks so cute

capnhiho likes this.
  8. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    God bless you and the great work that you do.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    He is gorgeous. He looks so majestic looking.

Stay well

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Well at least you can stop holding your stomach in..:D

8E249C6D-311B-4648-9429-924328944BEE.jpeg

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ya caught me :p

Gold Penguin, audept and radd like this.
  12. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I had two Dachshunds growing up (one after the other) that I will post photos of....They were both great dogs and I miss them to this day. They were both truly members of the family.

But this post is about Duke....my dog that wasn't really mine. When I was a young'un I had a paper route. Duke belonged to a family who lived on the other side of my block (My route covered this block)... His owners were customers....and after a while, when I would deliver their paper, Duke would apparently ask to be let out.... and he would just kind of tag along for part of the remainder of the route.....and then, he started following me all the way home....

Then, I noticed he was coming and finding me closer and closer to my house in the morning and staying with me throughout the route. Eventually, I would get up in the morning and go out to my sidewalk where the delivery guy left the bundle every morning....and I would find Duke curled up next to them......rain or shine, sun or snow....yes...I would occasionally find him laying beside my papers with a pile of snow building up on him....

He wasn't doing it for the food.....my mother wouldn't allow me to give him anything as she didn't want "stray dogs hanging out in her yard"......but then she saw what was happening...and pretty soon, she was bringing home leftovers and other treats for me to give him, as she felt he was good protection for me early in the morning...

I ended up brushing him, bathing him, getting him a yearly flea collar, feeding him....

He would also find me to go collecting (from the customers for the paper).....Once, he "protected" me from a neighbor who was going to play a joke on me by hiding my bike in the back of his truck, while I was inside getting money from his wife..... I was watching from the window, and as he went to take my bike, Duke charged him, barking and showing some aggression...... My bike was left alone, but the neighbor told me to "hang on to that dog! He's a good'un"

Another time, while collecting, a friend from another street happened to be on my turf, and saw my "money bag" and jokingly grabbed my arm and said "Give me the money!".....Duke suddenly had his jaws around his wrist growling and looking at him with contempt...lol My friend sheepishly said "Please call your dog off, dude, I'm just kidding".....another save for Duke

Yet another time, on the morning route, there was a mean dog, "Willie", up the street who constantly chased bikers, or if you got anywhere near his yard would get aggressive and even bite.....(they were customers of mine)....normally, they tried to keep him in until I had delivered their paper....

But, sometimes he got out early and would be a problem.....I used to carry a "Willie-Stick" with me (A cut-off broom handle with tape around the handle)......

This one morning, Duke hadn't shown up.....and I was back in the woods, between houses....and Willie showed up in front of me....growling, tale down, baring his fangs at me......I'd never had to use it, but I slowly reached into my bag for the "Willie stick".......and literally like the cavalry in an old Western......Duke comes tearing through the woods, set himself directly between Willie and me and gave off the most intense growling/baring fang demonstration I'd ever seen him do.....he charged at Willie and Willie bolted....and Duke turned around to me and wagged his tail like saying "What'ja think of that? I got him, good, huh?" :)

I never worried about a thing when Duke was with me....he was a fantastic dog. He did my route with me for the entire time I had it.... I think of him, often.

Sorry for the lengthy post..But, Duke was one heck of a dog.

(Yes, that's a sweatshirt in the first pic....can't remember why, but it was funny at the time....lol)
    Duke in sweatshirt cropped.jpg
    Me and Duke 1 cropped.jpg

13. MCGretscher

MCGretscher Electromatic

Feb 6, 2021
    Ottawa
    Dash. The only living thing that hears me sing.
    59AE06EC-36AA-4A43-8E81-A5C157C8AD4D.jpeg

14. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Great memories. Seems like you and Duke were meant to be with each other.
    Stay well.

OzzPocket likes this.
  15. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
  16. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
  17. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    To everyone who's lost a furry family member, my heart goes out to you. I know how tough that is, and when your buddy is a senior, like my Lucy who is 11, you can't help but think about it from time to time. At least I do. But I am just thankful for the years we've had together since she rescued me, and hope for as many as possible in the future. Without trying to sound sappy, besides our human family members, I think our pets are our greatest gifts from the Lord.

18. Mercury

Mercury Electromatic

Feb 20, 2021
    Sydney, Australia
    Our mini fox-terrier, Mellie. 14 months.

mellie.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Here's my puppers Winston in his natural habitat. He's an exotic breed. ;)
    IMG_3209.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.