My Delay Bit the Dust.....recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by OzzPocket, Sep 8, 2020.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    OP here...out of curiosity...has anyone had any experience with the Analog Alien Rumble Seat? Just happened upon it while looking at others....A "3 effect" pedal...drive, delay, reverb....a little out of my original plan's budget....but have been going through some youtube vids on it.....but, always good to talk with someone who's actually used one. Seems like a similar kind of idea as the Mystery Train....kind of an "all in one....plug it in and go" pedal.

As far as building one myself.....that's a nice thought, but I just want something to show up in the mail that I can plug in and play ;-)

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Yes, I played one extensively while hanging out in the Pearl for a few days. Its a basic digi reverb and digi delay, and overdrive that they say is based on a 69 marshall ...for the rockabilly player though, not sure about that. Rockabilly Artists dont usually play marshalls.. so thats confusing. But I find the overdrive nice, somewhat reminiscent of a modified tube screamer. The echo is basic and utilitarian, while the reverb is expansive, plenty of ambience but I also dont really hear a fender spring reverb from this more canyon flavored verb. A nice three in one multi effects unit. (fwiw..mysterybrain isnt an all in one box, its just an re-301 space echo emulator.. no overdrive, no reverb)

3. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    On my pedal board, I think my Anasounds Utopia delay pedal is a stand out. The output is more . . musical than I expected. Second big thing in my head, is that the inputs are at the top of the pedal rather than the sides, saving space on the board. These pedals are designed to be modified if you are inclined to tinker with components inside. And they look good! I don’t know if they’re more or less suited to any particular style of music, but think they are recommendable. Maybe have a look.

4. kpnash

kpnash Electromatic

Way Huge Aqua Puss. Have tried many other delays but this one was continuously kicking them all out and still stays on my main pedalboard.

Or...

Danelectro DanEcho. Bought it used once, then sold it, then bought it used twice! Now it is a part of my home video guitar lesson recording setup. At 40 EURos, what can go wrong?

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

The El Cap is very finicky about power supply, and there are a lot of parameters. Once I got a Mystery Brain, it was dialed in after a few seconds, and has never left my board since. El Cap now collects dust.

6. marcello252

marcello252 Electromatic

May 31, 2020
    Italy
    I have a Dod Rubberneck and it's a hell of underrated analog warm delay , with tap tempo, control over saturation and modulation , nuff said

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    still have my DanEcho, second that, great delay that can be found cheap!

8. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    JHS Panther Cub V2.

9. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm going to be honest here. Echo is an important part of your sound. To be your best, you really shouldn't skimp. I think what you really need is a brand new Binson Echorec. Is it $4450.57? Yes. But can your tone afford for you not to buy it? Absolutely not.

[​IMG]

Chmason85 and OzzPocket like this.
  11. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    You make a very valid point......I'm considering buying two of them....because I know that authentic tape delays can be kind of finicky, and I wouldn't want to be without one, if it broke down.... it's not like I actually NEEDED my car, anyway ;-)

Chmason85 likes this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

You owe it to yourself.

Chmason85 likes this.
  13. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    After a number of days of mind-numbing video watching and review reading (and a few coin tosses), and realizing that I am falling in love again not only with rockabilly, but surf rock......I ordered a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail delay peddle and a Catalinbread Topanga spring reverb pedal. Will hopefully see them sometime this week.

With that combination, I will be unstoppable.....I will conquer the world.....(or at least own a couple decent peddles and make some funky music ;-) )

Trash Kidd and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

That's the ONE!

15. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Finally some Aqua Puss love!!! I’ve had a few delays and this is the only one I have now and recommend. Granted I don’t need a ton of delay time but this pedal just sounds so damn good! And yes, it can sound pretty retro far out in a good way

16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm not all that discriminating with delays - my Hardwire delay has really good slapback delay to my ears.

17. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I've had the Deco and the El Cap.

Deco = Pristine reel to reel studio echo with 1-2 repeats, plus the ability to have overdrive added based on overdriving the tape machine levels. Randomized warble is available.

El Cap: highly detailed recreation of commercial pedalboard tape echo units (Echoplex, Space Echo), with controls over not only somewhat randomized wow/flutter, but tape crinkle, input level saturating, bass cut, high cut, etc. Probably most appreciated at longer delay times, but sounds good for just about anything.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So, OP have you picked one yet? I haven’t seen the Source Audio products mentioned yet. I don’t have their delay, yet, but I do have their Spectrum a great pedal but it also has an external editor. So if you want to dive deeper you can if you want to use a tweaked version someone else posted up you can, and there are a lot!

Source Audio Nemisis is their delay and Collider is their combination delay reverb pedal.

I have a Mystery Brain and MXR carbon copy but desire stereo and will at some point add the Source Audio Nemisis or one of the Strymon products.

Be careful with the Nocturne pedals, incredible pedals I love the Mystery Brain but what you may find if once you have one Nocturne pedal you’ll want many more. Don’t ask me how I know!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  19. Humanfly

Humanfly Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Belgium
    Boss RE20 could also be a great option.

20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/new-pedal-s-day.207864/

The Volante may solve your stereo quest. A bit expensive, sure. But with the sound on sound, multi heads, etc, you’re paying for more than just a regular delay pedal. Mine absolutely loves the Atomic Brain in front. And I agree on the Nocturne pedals. heavily addicting.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.