My Delay Bit the Dust.....recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by OzzPocket, Sep 8, 2020.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    So, my 30+ year old Arion DDS-1 delay pedal has apparently gone to the big pedalboard in the sky.....turning it on with either power supply or battery yields an extremely loud static...and nothing else...

This....gives me every excuse to purchase a new pedal to go along with my new 5420T..... I have been, since purchasing the new Gretsch, listening to a lot of rockabilly/psychobilly and surf music, and would like to be able to emulate some of those tones/sounds that made those songs famous.

I'm guessing most delays should be able to cover these genres fairly well....but, would like some suggestions from some of you who may specialize in those types of guitar playing.

So....for that purpose, and I guess as a general delay, what are some of the forum favorites?

Many thanks!

2. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    I have a TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 which is basically a more vintage voice take on the Flashback. It has tap tempo and 3 presets: I have a triplet preset, an ambient delay, and a slap back saved. I like the TC stuff, and with the tone prints you can get lots of versatility.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  4. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Electromatic

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Maybe take a look at this as well?

Chmason85, Maxadur, capnhiho and 2 others like this.
  5. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Or possibly an original Boss DM-2. They can still be had for a reasonable price on the used market.

As far as other delays currently on the market, my top recommendation would be a Strymon El Capistan.

6. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    NUX Atlantic, but oh my that DM-2w....!!

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    TC Electronic Flashback

Outlaw and Waxhead like this.
  8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve had many delay pedals in My time and the mystery brain is the best one I’ve ever used. You can get a real slap back with it rather than just a quick delay

Tele295 likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Another vote for a Mystery Brain. It’s the alpha and omega.

the JHS Milkman is pretty awesome too, but that only does slapback. No long delays.

Tele295 and Trash Kidd like this.
  10. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Boss DM3...is the one you want used 150$ analog, adds a bit of shimmer..Point all the pots to the led n don’t look back...
    The new WAZA Craft is easier to find but not sure how they compare.. The DM2 bit darker it’s reported... lots of DM3 information here. Search it! image.jpg

Scott likes this.
  11. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    A DM2 Waza lives on my board too.....

slickfaster likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    If ya got the scratch...Mystery Brain is a no Brainer.... see how I did that...:rolleyes:

Tele295, Zeek and Trash Kidd like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My first questions usually are price limit and what are you looking for it to do (short or long delay). Without knowing that there’s been some great suggestions so far. If it’s simply a slapback you’re after, you can pull it off with a ton of delays.

The favorites I’ve actually played have been:

- Mystery Brain (great echo and my favorite Pre)
    - Volante (it’s got all the bells and whistles, multiple heads, sound on sound, etc)
    - Dunlop Echoplex (The tape wear is super easy to dial in and beautiful. And you can add tap tempo with the addition of a switch. I wish I still had mine).

Others that I would consider but haven’t actually tried:

- Boss DM-2W
    - Bell Epoch Deluxe
    - El Capistan

14. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    Strymon Deco. I love it.

Scott and audept like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I found my video how to on modding the Boss DM3/DM2 for proper 9v power. Lemme know if I need to share. Its posted on the FB nocturne forum now.

slickfaster and Merc like this.
  16. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I love my Catalinbread Belle Epoch. I've been able to get some very nice clean slap back sounds but it's also got the ability to "hit the tape hard" and produce a saturated delay which I've found pretty cool on some songs. There's a internal trim pot to goose your signal if you like, modualtion for some warble, 9v or 18v to taste. The deluxe version has even more bells and whistles but I opted for the simpler version and I'm very happy with it.

17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  18. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Although I don’t own one, I didn’t intend to cast any negative light on the Mystery Brain. I would definitely consider one if I was shopping for a new delay.

As for myself, I already have an Atomic Brain and an El Pescadoro to cover my TV preamp needs. ;)
    I know it sounds like heresy but the MB just didn’t seem like the best fit for my needs.

19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I really dig my Mystery Brain for the preamp/ delay combo, but for straight up Delay with tons to offer I really dig My Strymon El Capistan. It has a great reverb built in as well.

Scott likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.