My Air Conditioner is in D

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by m0rl0ck, Jun 28, 2020.

1. m0rl0ck

m0rl0ck Electromatic

Jun 27, 2020
    I have been playing around with my Jim Dandy, put some new strings on it and improved the bass response, i guess it had been sitting around for a while before i bought it.

I live in a small seniors apt, lucky to get it quickly after my divorce and its small enough that the sound of the AC is a constant feature in the summer.

Last night i found an amazing sounding fingerpicking thing i open D, sounded really transcendent and today i tried it out outside.

It sounded really thin and not that great, then i realized, after coming back in, that my AC had been providing a constant drone somewhat in tune with the open D :D

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I prefer air conditioners in standard tuning, myself.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My AC is in de bedroom...

4. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    The coil broke on mine and I get this really cool distorted sound (in D as well).

5. m0rl0ck

m0rl0ck Electromatic

Jun 27, 2020
    Cool. I wonder if you can order them in different tunings. :)

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Line hum is a slightly flat A.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and m0rl0ck like this.
  7. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Our cooling system is in A & C! :D

9. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    The work space of one of the ships I served on was surrounded with 400 Hz. I spent much of my time there. As it was before clip on tuners it was a challenge to tune my guitar. When we would switch over to shore power and shut down our generators and equipment, the silence was deafening. My 'tuned' guitar sounded pretty bad too. :D

m0rl0ck, mrfixitmi, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Over here it is quite unusual to have an AC in private homes although it is getting hotter and hotter each summer.
    In my office there is an AC and the sound of it feels like a tinnitus.

m0rl0ck and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    I also spent years working in and out of a datacenter (I once counted 200+) fans. Navy + Work + Age = I now wear hearing aids.

12. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    AC - follow my guitar

13. Sounds like time to write and record the droning D Dandy song.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The advent of air conditioning in the US has had big sociopolitical effects as the population has shifted south. If it weren't for AC, places like Arizona, Texas and Florida wouldn't have gotten nearly as big as they are now.

15. afire

afire Country Gent

I was once flipping through a 1928 magazine and came across an advertisement from some Houston civic organization (don't remember which, but some chamber of commerce type deal). It was touting all the reasons one should pack up the Model T and make for Houston. Chief among them was the "temperate climate." Talk about deceptive advertising. If you relocated to Houston from the north expecting a temperate climate, you'd be sorely disappointed. I lived there for a couple of years. It was barely tolerable with AC. Without it, it would be downright unbearable.

16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So is my telephone

17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The dial tone on my home phone has always been an E. Many years ago when I was a kid just starting to play music and writing songs I recorded it and wrote a song around it. It was my organ like drone. I'd like to find that tape. I know it's still around here somewhere. The song was called "look Out Joe". I do at least remember that much and that I was trying to write my Helter Skelter...:D.

18. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Interesting that you mentioned it.
    When my middle son was in School, taking a class on thermodynamics, his team had to design a project.
    The concept was to cut and bend CDs to be used as fan blades. They were supposed to find the optimum air flow versus noise.
    The test was inconclusive, some fans made more air flow with more decibels, and that was acceptable to many people. Some blades had slightly less airflow, were very quiet, and the people said that they were too noisy.
    They could not come up with the rationale until the youngest barged in. He said "listen, that is an F flat minor, that is a G-major, that is a C minor, and so on" He was speaking a foreign language to the Engineers. He got out the heat gun and cut and bent his own blades, tuning them to the desired frequencies. They all scored higher decibels, but people thought that they were acceptable.
    When you bring a musician to the Engineering problem, you see/hear things from a different perspective. Their team ended up in first place. One of the judges worked for an HVAC company wanted their research, they awarded each student $5,000 to put toward college.

As the youngest explained, noise is a perception, when your favorite song comes on the radio/stereo, you can't turn it up enough, when there is some irritating commercial, you can't turn it down enough.

m0rl0ck, new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Also, younger ears can hear a higher range of frequencies, even before factoring in any ear fatigue. In fact, they have designed devices to annoy teenagers, but inaudible to adults, to drive them from hanging out in front of convenience stores.

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.