My 1979 7670

Norwegian6119

Electromatic
Aug 23, 2021
Norway
Well, that escalated just as quick as I anticipated after falling in love with the 6119. So I sold a nice guitar and bought a 1979 Country Gentleman.

First impressions; It is glorious! It's set up nicely with heavy strings, feels like at least 011 and the sound amplified is huge. It has also very resonant acoustics.

The pickups are a bit low and I need new springs for them as they don't rise as high as I would like.

Not sure I like the tension bar on the Bigsby, or the Atkins arm. I need to check the spring, but there is a lot of travel and very little wobble compared to my 6119. Maybe I don't use the vibrato arm properly, it is weird and can be positioned allover the place.

The bridge has been doctored weird. Supposedly it rattled a lot so the PO had it flipped over and had new slots filed for the two lower light strings. Works, but looks off and the bridge posts are now threads and are uncomfortable.

It has been played, but obviously cherished and cared for. Minimal buckle rash and two minor dings. Paint is very glossy. No binding issues. Case is structurally sound and has content. The interior also look like the dashboard of a van you don't want a ride in :)

I like it :)

20211122_192122.jpg 20211122_192147.jpg 20211122_192241.jpg 20211122_192600.jpg

Jeff67

Country Gent
Nov 3, 2019
Crockett, Texas
Beautiful! Love the green case interior. I have a couple of questions, though: What's the purpose of the piece of pickguard material at the neck joint? Do they all have it and I just never noticed? Just curious cuz I've never seen a Gent in person.

Lockupyourfatdog

Synchromatic
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
Beautiful! Love the green case interior. I have a couple of questions, though: What's the purpose of the piece of pickguard material at the neck joint? Do they all have it and I just never noticed? Just curious cuz I've never seen a Gent in person.

Remove that piece and there’s a hole where you can adjust the neck with a slotted tool or long needle pliers

Norwegian6119

Electromatic
Aug 23, 2021
Norway
Standard pickups are ceramics, but the ones in mine have either been swapped way back or custom ordered when new. They measure around 4K which is typical of the older alnico magnets. Ceramics are about twice that.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Beautiful Guitar, these are actually great playing guitars. A customer came in with one a few years back. It was untouched since new, including green corroded strings. From what I could tell, they were set up with high action, the pickups were sunk in due to broken/ corroded springs. That was an easy fix, and yes, the truss rod cover was in the back. The tremlo was squeaking due to dirt under the spring. One cleaned, it was fine. Be sure to put some nut lube on the nut and on the saddle rollers so they do not flat spot. Very nice guitar in many ways. The guitar I worked on had alnico pickups as well, I do not know if it came in that way, or was a common upgrade. Since the original owner said it was untouched, I assume that it came with alnicos or they were installed prior to his purchase.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Standard pickups are ceramics, but the ones in mine have either been swapped way back or custom ordered when new. They measure around 4K which is typical of the older alnico magnets. Ceramics are about twice that.
There's really no conclusive evidence that Gretsch ever switched to using ceramic magnets exclusively on FilterTrons. The early "black top" FilterTrons (i.e., just FilterTrons, but with HiloTron covers) were in the 4K-5K range. It wasn't until the very late '70s that the 8k-ish FilterTrons showed up. I would have guessed that this guitar would have those. But, given the overall condition, I would suspect your guitar has the original pickups, probably among the last of the lower impedance FilterTrons.