Must-Try Medium Overdrives

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
It was the Brit part. KingTone operates out of California but the owner is Jessey Davey, guitarist for brit-blues band the Hoax. The guy knows a thing or two about tone. His dirt pedals are gaining lots of momentum with the pros. Might be worth checking out anyway.
View attachment 184230
I love this pedal, and when there was a time it was both available and affordable, I was torn between it and the Blues Power. I waited too long and now it appears the Blues Power is the only option....BUT.... I but bought the Revival Drive by Origin Effects and I am really impressed and feel it can get me to some Duellist and Blues Power territory but am coming to realize that the King Tone pedals are really special and nothing can really duplicate their focus....maybe a bit overlap....but they really have a "secret sauce" that nothing else can really match.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
View attachment 183880

The Archer Blue note is a secret weapon, incredibly underrated and mostly overlooked in favor of better known pieces. TSs, Timmys, Klons, KOTs, any thing else you can think of in the light-medium OD territory (with the possible exception of the Greer Lightspeed), this puppy can do it all. OK, can do almost all. Seriously though, this OD works with any amp/gtr combo you can think of. No joke. It's almost ridiculous how good it is. Trust me...
I would choose this also as it partners with my Black Phoenix and Electromatic 5126 exceptionally well.

The amp is is a Roland Blues Cube Artist.

For different reasons and different material I might be playing, the Revival Drive by Origin Effects is equally great.....it is more of a control panel than a pedal!

Revival Drive_Large.JPG

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I love this pedal, and when there was a time it was both available and affordable, I was torn between it and the Blues Power. I waited too long and now it appears the Blues Power is the only option....BUT.... I but bought the Revival Drive by Origin Effects and I am really impressed and feel it can get me to some Duellist and Blues Power territory but am coming to realize that the King Tone pedals are really special and nothing can really duplicate their focus....maybe a bit overlap....but they really have a "secret sauce" that nothing else can really match.

The Duellist is still being made though right, just out of stock?
Btw. Each section is available separately as the Soloist and Heavy Hand.

I liked the demos of the Revival drive. I'm just disgusted with the amount of knobs.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
The Duellist is still being made though right, just out of stock?
Btw. Each section is available separately as the Soloist and Heavy Hand.

I liked the demos of the Revival drive. I'm just disgusted with the amount of knobs.
The Duellist came out with a new version.....The Duellist 2022 but out of stock everywhere you look. The Heavy Hand is cool.....I've heard it described as the "amp-like" part of the pedal where the Soloist is like the tube
screamer-ish half w/ a little bit of tone adding flavor.. I like all of them but need to tell myself I can like something without wanting to buy it.

The Revival Drive is great and after really getting to know how everything works, really has "a flow" to it where all of the controls and knobs are actually inviting because it becomes an extension of one's imagination and therefore the tools to create.

I love really love the Blues Power but that price?.......Oooooph! I know it is one of a kind so I'm kind of fooling myself thinking that the another "SRV-in-a-box" Texas Blues pedal will get me to the same place as many tout The Crossfire by Crazy Tube Circuits. To think of that one, the Blues Power or the Duellist is foolish of me right now since they are out of focus of my current "project" and I need to build a budget for recording equipment.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Tim
Timmy
Barber LTD
Boss OD3

I’ve owned a J Rockett Blue Note and Greer Lightspeed. They were nice too. I also had a Boss BD2 and hated it for the fizziness.

Last edited:

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
If I was in the market for a new flavor of overdrive I’d consider the Browne Protein pedal. Never had a Nobels or a Bluesbreaker and that combines both.

Of course the one that I’d really like to try is the Nocturne Fluid Drive.

All of these are a little too much outlay for a dude such as myself who rarely uses overdrive.

I do have a Greer Lightspeed pedal clone around here somewhere that I put together. It was almost as good as the Barber Gain Changer.

Country Member

Electromatic
Aug 20, 2014
Australia
I use two OCD-Ge pedals. One set to almost no gain as a grainy clean, and I hammer it with the second OCD with more gain, for solos. Works a treat into any amp and really fattens the guitar sound on stage.

schwarzerHund

Gretschie
Jan 1, 2022
Isla de Encanta
I've been able to spend a little time with my new Electro-Harmonix OD Glove- really like it. Pretty transparent boost on low/no gain- and the upper gain region has a great snarl if you're looking for it...very affordable & highly recommended