Must-Try Medium Overdrives

delbomber

Electromatic
Jun 1, 2022
Felton, CA
Greer Lightspeed: my favorite OD pedal of all time

Runner up: Benson Amps Preamp Pedal

Either through a Fender Deluxe (volume 4-5) or a Friedman DS40 (low input, gain at 5-6).

MGllm

Synchromatic
Jun 6, 2008
McKinney, Texas
I love my old Tim. Its big but lovely. The Keely modded Blues Driver is good, too.
There was an English (I think) fellow on the GDP that made a dual drive pedal. Dual Carburetor or something like that. Always wanted to try one.

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
A Big Muff below 10 o'clock might qualify as medium overdrive I think. Worth it, totally, especially the Wicker-version that allows to bypass the tone part of the circuit (which I sometimes use), and has a built-in Op-amp treble boost (which is always on).

I also have a Sparkle Drive (Voodoo Labs), which is a Tubescreamerish one, but has also four different modes resembling different versions or mods of a TS, and a cleanblend, which is of course a device to lower the grade of overdrivenness of the signal in a different way than lowering gain does, so the added circuitry, price and knobs are only useful if it stays a reasonable distance below maximum. These two make up about 80 % of my OD-use.

There are some more that I use ... but some are very seldomly used ... that Behringer Farts pedal they accidentally named "Fuzz" ... so cheap new that it doesn't make much sense to sell, so it stays for now, but mostly does collect dust ... I wouldn't be surprised if I opened it and found a butt inside, the exhaust opening directed to the output jack, haha...

... and then, there is this perfboard full of mess and idiocy, that I started making while I thought it would turn into a real pedal within 1 or 2 weekends at home, but I just keep modifying and trying things and can't decide to finally finish it ... essentially, it's a Muff'ish circuit (that had three of those stages at some point), a cleanblend and a very sublte overdrive either before or after them (previously, muff-gainstage three, values changed a lot ... ), well, that's what it is right now. Saturday, it might differ again if I find the time to solder a bit (I think I'm already happy if I find the time to play a decent amount of time, so maybe not this week).

A decent cleanblend, where you can plug in any OD you like and blend with the clean signal, maybe with a boost or even a treble boost in the clean path, can turn every OD into a mild to medium one, I think, and sometimes, a little bit of unmolested signal is all that's needed to elevate it out of the mud.

But also ... depends on all the surroundings ... 5420 with Magnatrons, an Orange Crush 35 (or a name close to this) are what is used around the above mentioned devicery. A lot of the stuff working for this guitar, sounds useless with my current Tele (noiseless Seymour Duncan - they sound pretty close to singlecoils, but that doesn't apply to overdrive and choice thereof ... they're a bit weird it seems, but I like them and I don't like hum, so ... we'll stay married.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I love my old Tim. Its big but lovely. The Keely modded Blues Driver is good, too.
There was an English (I think) fellow on the GDP that made a dual drive pedal. Dual Carburetor or something like that. Always wanted to try one.

King Tone Duellist?

Butch Ammon

Synchromatic
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
I have to give a plug to the venerable, classic, everybody has used one, type of OD....

The ubiquitous Ibanez Tube Screamer. You can dial it back to make it subtle where you could play it in church, or you can dial it up, and let it scream with all its might! :cool:

Thewix13

May 9, 2020
CA
I have these two pedals and they were really affordable!

JRR OD1.3 Pedal

And the
JRR TS-809

They both sound great on my Bassman. I use the Pedals off for clean, TS-809 for overdrive, OD1.3 for heavy drive. It’s a perfect combo. Doesn’t sound like pedals, sounds like the best channel switching amps. They are also very affordable, which is right up my alley right now.

Last edited:

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
Does anyone know if a Vemuram Jan Ray works well with Dynasonics ? I don't have the white falcon in yet, so I don't have a clue if they go well together

scrimmer

Gretschie
Apr 6, 2019
North Carolina
I’ve got a 1st gen Snouse Electric Co. Blackbox that sounds amazing with my 5122 with BT FTs. It’s low gain, but really adds some kind of magical beef and grit to the tone, especially on the bridge pup.

dcwwcp

Electromatic
Nov 14, 2021
Kansas
Right now I'm building a love pedal Super six stevie mod clone with a boost mod im adding. It souds pretty darn good with the TV jones Brian Setzer pickups.
The super six is basically a modded Timmy circuit, then I added a simple variation for a boost. It gets a good hot rodded fender amp sound. A good brown face sound.
I play it through a '68 vibrolux reverb.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
No, I don't believe so, but thanks!

It was the Brit part. KingTone operates out of California but the owner is Jessey Davey, guitarist for brit-blues band the Hoax. The guy knows a thing or two about tone. His dirt pedals are gaining lots of momentum with the pros. Might be worth checking out anyway.
1657339972800.jpeg

MGllm

Synchromatic
Jun 6, 2008
McKinney, Texas
It was the Brit part. KingTone operates out of California but the owner is Jessey Davey, guitarist for brit-blues band the Hoax. The guy knows a thing or two about tone. His dirt pedals are gaining lots of momentum with the pros. Might be worth checking out anyway.
I finally figured it out. Gax FX Pedals out of Wales. The pedal is Drive Thru. Made by Hue Price whose screen name on GDP is shuggie. Always wanted to try one.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I finally figured it out. Gax FX Pedals out of Wales. The pedal is Drive Thru. Made by Hue Price whose screen name on GDP is shuggie. Always wanted to try one.
Thanks, another pedal to check out.

Going by aesthetics and description, am I lead to believe this is a Klon variety?

Zeek

Country Gent
May 29, 2016
Illinois USA
I have had this Bad Monkey for awhile and like it.
Have not had it on the board in a while but my Detroit Casket burnt up, smells like a fire was inside it, So the Monkey is back.
IMG_20220709_201404287 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts