Must-Try Medium Overdrives

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Into a Quilter SuperBlock US or a Trinity Triton: Wampler Paisley Drive and EQD Plumes, both in the loop of a Nocturne Mystery Brain.

Into a Mesa Mark V25...lol, that amp doesnt need drive pedals.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
If you're interested in any of the following pedals, PM me and we can work out a deal.

pettyjohn Petty drive v2
Ethos TWE
JRAD The Dude

Shadowy_Man

Synchromatic
May 18, 2020
Chicago
Caline High Chief - very nice sounds with my 5420 with TV Classics into a modeled clean Marshall with Fender Twin cab I have set up. It's a King of Tone clone (yes I am on the waiting list for the real thing)

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Whoa...a $50 clone... Is it any good?

I never had an original so I can’t say how accurate it is. There is something I don’t like in the tonality but I suspect that is the BB, not the Caline part. I adore the Caline Highway man which is the RC booster.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I get confused with pre over drive boost etc. I like the Mystery Brain, JrBarnyard/ElPescadoro, and Ubangi now I think it is called the Marquesan. All Nocturne Pedals. I would think the MB although I think it is called a pre would give the drive you might like.

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
I found a new great sound today. The Karma MTN-10 into the Blues Breaker side of the Protein. I had put the Karma away, When I got it back before before I got the Protein I was kinda underwhelmed. I was also kinda underwhelmed by the BB side of the Protein and was kinda having regrets as I could just as well have continued to use my ODR-1 for the sound I liked in the Protein.
But the Karma into the BB side with just a bit of added mids made all the difference in the world. The Karma>BB added plenty of nice grit when digging in, yet retained good string separation and remained very responsive to picking dynamics.
A Great "cleanish" tone. Its nice when you discover the optimum use for a couple of fancy pedals that you kinda had some regrets/resevations about.
Amp was the 50w SF Bassman head/1-15" Weber California cab, big and clean.
Just a bit o slapback from the Mystery Brain.
Guitar was an SG Standard.
The Karma MTN-10 is an Ibanez Mostortion clone.
The Protein is a Nobles ODR-1/Blues Breaker combo.
By the way, the Plumes into the the Sp Cranker was pretty damn good too. The Plumes kinda tightened up the Cranker in a good way, letting you get higher gains out of the Sp Cranker without as much low end flub. The Plumes in this set up also works as a nice lead boost.
I think Im gonna take off the flanger and add back the El Pescado and keep this set up for a while.
tempImagejbJghs.png

Last edited:

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Caline High Chief - very nice sounds with my 5420 with TV Classics into a modeled clean Marshall with Fender Twin cab I have set up. It's a King of Tone clone (yes I am on the waiting list for the real thing)
I just got on the waiting list for a Snouse BlackBox, I’ll race you!

juster

Electromatic
Apr 23, 2017
British Columbia
I quite like mine, a Bluesbreaker with KOT switches and a mild trebely non-KOT boost. (tip: If you Solder a 15k resistor across R6 to make the Clear channel higher gain than the Drive, the Clear diode switch will now make a difference. Solder a 10nF cap across both C4 for more bass on the clear). The Bluesbreaker side has less mids than my more obvious KOT clone.
The "Amp Turbo" is a Timmy with and Echoplex preamp, which I like because it has a bass control. That combination covers a lot of ground, a good working man's overdrive.

KreepyTeach

Gretschie
May 27, 2018
Brooklyn, Ny
I tried Way Huge Red Llama mk2, put it through a small fender ,and it was tweed on tweed, brought it home for a Mesa, and it still works great.

Has an insane amount of volume in them. Love it!

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
:cool: Double buffers - that's not something I've seen before, but a very clever setup there!
It's an ingrained habit from my sound mix engineering background. I always wanted to avoid impedance mismatches into the signal chain. Buffers are a typical choice for me. All my pedalboards are buffered at each end, that way it doesn't matter how many effects are turned on or off at any one time, the impedance match to the real or virtual amplifier is consistent

Latest posts