Must-Try Medium Overdrives

guitarist1983

Electromatic
Feb 22, 2022
Georgia
Please list light/medium overdrive pedals that work great with your Gretsch. List the amp type you use with the pedal, too (as you might know, a Fender and a Vox don't always play nicely with the same ODs).

My favorites into a Morgan AC20 Deluxe (similar to a Vox AC normal channel amp):
Paul Cochran's Timmy
Nobels ODR-1 with bass cut

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
This has to be the best light to medium drive pedal ever!!!
Very well suited for Gretsch guitars..

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
I’ve found after dialing in a nice edge of breakup gain setting on my amp then using my master volume to clean up, a boost pedal is really all I need. I put an Alembic Stratoblaster pedal kit together. It makes a nice boost pedal.
Also, most overdrive pedals can function as a boost pedal as well when set to low gain.The Boss OD-3 and BD-2 do this very well.

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
This has to be the best light to medium drive pedal ever!!!
Very well suited for Gretsch guitars..

THIS.

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
Nobles ODR-1 is my favorite
Boss OD-3 is #2.
Amp is Carr Rambler(Fenderish)
I have a Fluid Drive but I use it mostly on bass, where it really shines IMO. Best OD/dist Ive ever tried on bass, it puts some nice sizzle on while leaving the low end basically clean.

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
I don’t need a drive pedal with my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. With four channels from clean to brain bleed and the option of running the amp at 5 or 25 watts I don’t need one. I use my BOSS EQ-200 as an equalizer, and occasionally as a clean boost, but the boost isn’t for dirt. It’s to put the guitar at a volume where I can use the guitar volume control to push the amp over the edge. This is in no way intended as a criticism of boost or overdrive pedals but guitars, tubes, and equalization give me what I need.

Last edited:

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
I have been enjoying the Tumnus Deluxe with my AC15 on a clean Normal channel. The 3-band EQ is handy for control of the Mids, and the HOT switch gives you that extra grit when you want. I guess it is a type of klone, but it can do a bit more.

EDIT - an A/B/Y switch, so I can go from the Normal channel to the Top Boost, or blend them both!

Last edited:

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
1656891180256.png

The Archer Blue note is a secret weapon, incredibly underrated and mostly overlooked in favor of better known pieces. TSs, Timmys, Klons, KOTs, any thing else you can think of in the light-medium OD territory (with the possible exception of the Greer Lightspeed), this puppy can do it all. OK, can do almost all. Seriously though, this OD works with any amp/gtr combo you can think of. No joke. It's almost ridiculous how good it is. Trust me...

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I've really like the J Rockett pedals I've tried, kept the Dude. The new ones with EQ (e.g. the Melody made with Mark Lettieri) look really useful but I've never tried it.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
View attachment 183880

The Archer Blue note is a secret weapon, incredibly underrated and mostly overlooked in favor of better known pieces. TSs, Timmys, Klons, KOTs, any thing else you can think of in the light-medium OD territory (with the possible exception of the Greer Lightspeed), this puppy can do it all. OK, can do almost all. Seriously though, this OD works with any amp/gtr combo you can think of. No joke. It's almost ridiculous how good it is. Trust me...

The Blue note is mightily impressive, but might be considered more of a light overdrive by some. For medium gains the Flex drive might be more appropriate, it can do all(apart from metal maybe). Both J. Rockett pedals.

Latest posts