Musical spouse or kids?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, May 29, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How many of you have a wife significant other or kids that like to play with you? I was always hopeful my kids or wife would want to learn and jam with me but that was a pipe dream apparently. I am curious though how many of you have such an opportunity. Thanks

perhaps I will some day have a Grandchild that will take up some instrument. Not to soon though my oldest is only a sophomore in HS!

Penguin, Trash Kidd, Henry and 2 others like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not me - or not yet. When my daughter started piano, I played duets with her at recitals - pretty much the cutest experience ever. She has since dropped piano (I am Chinese - we make our kids take piano).

My son is still taking piano and I can tell he has more natural talent than my daughter exhibited; he can read music pretty well and his rhythm is getting much better. On occasion, I bring my acoustic guitar down and play along with him. I hope that in the next year or so we can start doing songs together. It is hard at his skill level.

section2, mrfixitmi, Tadhg and 2 others like this.
  3. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Both of my parents were musicians.

My previous wife, my daughter’s mother, sang and played several instruments before she got sick. My daughter tried several before deciding she really enjoyed singing more (and she’s very good at it)

Merc, mrfixitmi and Bertotti like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My son is Korean my daughter is Chinese both took piano for three year then both did clarinet my son for a year then got bells palsey on the left side of his face, took a year to get movement back so he did guitar and gave it up last fall as well. My daughter hates piano but likes clarinet but won’t even think about playing with me. Crazy family we have I am half German half US mutt or so they said don’t really know my kids I adopted and my wife is half Russian. Maybe if I got her a balalaika. I have been to China and Korea and Japan and PI quite the experience.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Henry, Merc and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I grew up in a musical family. I bought my wife a keyboard when she retired a couple of years ago and it just collects dust. My kids and grand and great grand kids run hot and cold about playing an instrument of any kind. They all say they like what I can do but seems they don't want to put in the time learn to do it. I would love for then to get interested in playing but I am not going to push it. Either you got the love for playing or you don't.

new6659, Merc, Bertotti and 1 other person like this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    When my kids were younger, daughter took violin lessons, son took guitar. They used the Suzuki Method books, but they both kind of got too busy with other things beyond the middle school years to stick with it. I learned the instructor accompaniment parts for some of the songs and performed with each of them on classical nylon guitar at a couple of their recitals. That was pretty cool. We never did try to play all at the same time together.

A few years ago... you might say "Long, Long, Ago" (one of the songs in the book)

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.14.01 PM.png

he is laughing because I had to remember to put my reading glasses on before we got started.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.18.19 PM.png

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    pilgrim, benjwri, mrfixitmi and 4 others like this.
  7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My older brother played guitar and sang and his wife learned to sing. Both their sons are musically inclined; each plays guitar and keyboards. They sounded great together at open-mic nights.

mrfixitmi, Merc and Bertotti like this.
  8. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    My daughter took, and dropped, piano and cello. Early this year she asked to borrow one of my guitars. She’s been playing the snot out of it ever since.

We want to do some videos for fun of us playing songs together. Gonna be hard for me to keep up, as she’s already better than I will ever be.

Bertotti and Merc like this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Music seemed to skip a generation for me. My parents were not musicians, but loved Live Theatre, and both could sing. My Father was a tough critic. Even though I did play as a part time studio musician for guitar and bass, my Father always swore that I lacked talent. He would say that anyone who would hire me must have been tone deaf, or stupid.
    With his attitude, it is no wonder none of my siblings made any attempt. My Mother used to sneak me out of the house to go "grocery shopping" so that I could play at the radio station, at a Wedding, or at the studio. When I got older it was easy to take my motorcycle or car. My Grandmother on my Father's side used to be a concert pianist, and a banjo picker for the "real money", unfortunately she died before I was born.
    My Mother's Mother played violin, and her entire family were musicians. They also had polka bands, and when I was small, let me play upright bass by standing on a milk crate. They were very encouraging.
    My wife an I met in the church choir where we sang with my Grandmother. We hoped that we would be blessed with a young musician of our own. Child #1, nope, Child#2, nope, but Child #3 was born one year after (almost to the day) my Grandmother passed. He loved music as a baby, and it was the only thing that would calm him. When he was 8 he started piano lessons, migrating to guitar at 11, cello at 13, saxophone, banjo, mandolin, bass, and violin at 14.

The point to this long story is keep the faith, good things happen to those who wait.

new6659, Merc and Bertotti like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My Mom played some violin. Dad played a little harmonica, as did my brother, who also played (reluctantly) some accordion. One uncle played bari sax, and ad another uncle who played a half dozen instruments, and a couple of cousins who played as well.
    My daughter and one grandson don't play, but they pick up lyrics instantly. The 4 YO grandson doesn't play anything, but does love to dance. The older grandson has indicated interest and is picking up some piano, and when his hands can fit a guitar, we'll start on that. Might just get him a uke soon.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    mrfixitmi, Merc and Bertotti like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Castanets, shakers, etc. are great for making dancing musical!

12. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    None.:eek:

Besides 1 person that I know of no one plays in my family. ;)

Bertotti likes this.
  13. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    my younger brother is tremendous bass and guitar player, has a masterful talent in bluegrass on the stand up bass, alas he has all but given up playing music.
    I've tried many times to entice him in to playing rockabilly with me.

Trash Kidd and Bertotti like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My daughter hated piano so much the teacher was kinda scared of her. Like children of the corn dead-eye glares.

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Not many in my family. My brother was a sax player and song and dance man, musicals were his thing, high school, college and professional before he died in his early 30’s.

The grandkids I live with, one plays trumpet and the younger is taking weekly piano lessons via Zoom.

94BC243F-FC9B-424C-AA4F-3ECF246291DA.jpeg 62E73993-B34B-402F-8CFA-300755D6B8BE.jpeg 403FDD28-06D4-4788-BA8A-B6963B50F991.jpeg

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Neither of my kids were musical, but 2 of my grandkids are. My eldest grandson is a self-taught shredder stuck in pointy-guitar land, and my second eldest grandkid (his sister) is learning on a Fender Squier Jazz Bass.

Penguin, mrfixitmi, Tadhg and 3 others like this.
  17. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    My son is a talented bass and keyboard player, but we've never played together. When he was in HS, we were close but he was "too cool" to play with me. And then he was off to college and he lives eight hours away.

I do play in a couple bands with the son of a good friend. I've been playing in one band since I was 17 with three brothers. They are closer to me than my actual remaining family. Their kids all call me Uncle Bruce. The bass player's son (Josh) started playing with us about five years ago and when I started a new originals band in late 2018 I asked Josh to play lead with us. And he's been great and it's been a blast.

[​IMG]

Penguin, new6659, mrfixitmi and 3 others like this.
  18. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    mrfixitmi and Bertotti like this.
  19. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    My wife Traci plays bass & is in my band Dead Hombres..
    Both my sons play great guitar. My younger son Jack over took me ability wise years ago lol!
    My eldest son Brett is a bit of an all rounder, Guitar, Bass, drums, producer..
    Both boys are from my first marriage btw I also have a daughter Georgia that doesn’t play anything.. 7D75797E-5BD6-4F0C-9553-7D7F1EE588FB.jpeg F400B8AD-DC1D-497D-BBB1-5EB366B2257A.jpeg 5E79094C-F5DC-4CCF-8873-2E9AEC1F2DE5.jpeg

Stefan87, Penguin, pilgrim and 6 others like this.
  20. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

My eldest son is supposed to be starting a Doctorate in Ethnomusicology (no, me neither) in September but its looking a little unlikely now due to Covid. He's one of those really annoying people that could get a tune out of a pair of socks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice