Musical ideas

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can’t be the only one but today I realized that sometimes when listening to a song O hear how I could play over it with another instrument. For instance to day was a Godsmack day while listening to Serenity and Touché I had a entire line playing over it in my head. I was driving. It worked great but invariably when I get to my instrument the inspiration is a fading memory! How totally frustrating! Or I will get the instrument but find myself completely unable to get the notes just right. I hear them in my head but on the fret board they elude me and after 20-30 minutes I have confused myself so completely I just put it away and walk off.

2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Get a voice recorder. Someone bought me one, I didn’t use it.

There are some that fit on a keychain, some that double as a USB key.

On my iPod I have Apple’s apps Music Memos and Voice Memos, although I haven’t used them either. Driving along wouldn’t be a time for that. Maybe you have a dashboard cam?

A simple keychain recorder where you just have to push a button would be useful while driving.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Bertotti and Jerzey Bob like this.
  3. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I use the voicenote feature on my phone religiously for this very reason. Hum/sing the melody. Some of the greatest songs ever written in the universe were lost on my way from the shower to the living room. ;) Same thing goes for those songs that pop into your head just as you lie down to go to bed. Record 'em, or they'll be lost forever. And ALWAYS back up those files regularly.

Bertotti, rake_ether and michelb like this.
  4. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    genius :eek: gotta try that, always have riffs in my head, but lose them once I pick up the guitar

5. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    When I was younger I could remember these but not so much anymore. Now I used my iPhone's Voice Memo. I really liked Music Memos but Apple has dropped support (please no Apple rants). I imported them into Voice memos and it works well for these audio memos. My Notes app is full of lyric ideas and even near complete lyrics. Of course those were entered when I wasn't driving.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I drive for work a lot. I don't drive as much now, but that's a banned topic, I am however in the car from 1 to 5 hours every day. Sadly that is where I get most of my inspiration. Maybe I should just sit for hours at home and see if some of that kicks in! Then again as long as I am working at home my wife doesn't mind my tools and mess but if I just start sitting she will be all over me to get it all out of the way.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was wondering if it would be possible to make a new note using the dictation function on an iPhone. Maybe with the help of Siri commands?

I don’t like using Siri so I haven’t tried it myself.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Got an old cassette deck lying around?
    Anything that records could be helpful.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would either try to see if you can find voice commands to have your phone start recording, or just buy a cheap digital voice recorder and leave it in the car.

Hammerhands likes this.
  10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The problem with Siri is it needs to be connected to a network to function.

On my iPad, and this should work on the iPhone, go into Settings->Accessibility->Voice Control and turn it on.

I was able to start Voice Memos with “Go Home” “Open Voice Memos”, “Tap Record” and then “Tap Done”. On my iPod it was “Tap Stop”.

I think you can tell Siri to take a voice memo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.