Music from the backwoods

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by JHowdy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Here's a new original called "Hear That Whistle Blow". I haven't got a band anymore, but I still write down all new bright ideas that seem to be worth more than forgetting at once :). This one was first brainstormed in March or April I think and finally written down in May 2020 and has been played only twice after that with my cousin Mike. In case you can't understand my mumbling let's then say it's about taking a train... it could use some additional instruments and some arranging, as always, but what's the use.

I don't know about the song, but the perhaps interesting thing is that I both played and sang through my 5E3 guitar amp. Like it or not, here it is in all its ruggedness.

---

Draggin' Two : Hear That Whistle Blow (J. Howdy). This is a rugged ONE TAKE recording from the backwoods of Cuthill on 14th of July 2020.

Draggin' Two are:
    John Howdy - Vocal & Gretsch guitar
    Cousin Mike - Upright bass

Singing gear: Shure Super 55 Deluxe mic, Nocturne Atomic Brain preamp pedal, Carl Martin Red Repeat delay & Rikstone 5E3 Tweed deluxe guitar amp's Normal Hi channel.

Guitar gear: Gretsch G6118T Anniversary w TV Jones Classic Plus bridge pickup, MXR Carbon Copy delay & Rikstone 5E3 Tweed deluxe guitar amp's Bright Lo channel.

Bass gear: "No name" 1950-60's Czechoslovakian upright bass, Shadow Rockabilly Pro Preamp, a 1970s dog-eaten Hagström Bass 210 head & cabinet.

G5422T, brownie, Waxhead and 8 others like this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Juhani,

I thoroughly enjoyed it! It has Johnny Cash vibe to it.

I'd have sworn there were three players: you, Cousin Mike, and a drummer using brushes.

JHowdy likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Very well done. I enjoyed hearing this, keep up the good work.

JHowdy likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great work Juhani , I also enjoyed it

JHowdy likes this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Great stuff Juhani!!! Love it.. sounds great!

JHowdy likes this.
  6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thank you guys, very kind of you! I've got three or four unrelesed songs coming from the same country bush, with the same kind of vibe that is. I had hoped we would make a third indie record release, but it does not look very likely anymore. It is fun to play these anyway.

@MTurner : Mark, Cousin Mike did say that his bass sounds like a saunavasta (bath whisk) on the recording, maybe that's why it sounds like there's a drummer with brushes :)? Why it sounds like that is due to the cheap digital recorder I guess, it missed much of the bass frequences that were well audible when we played live, while it highlights the slapping sound.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    MTurner and Trash Kidd like this.
  7. Timex

Timex Electromatic

Jul 10, 2020
    Southside Virginia
    Oooow! Cash "Hear That Train a Coming" and R.L. Burnside "Jumper on the Line" done had a love child and she's a hard driving, sweet little thing! Good tune!!

JHowdy likes this.
  8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Oh, thanks! I do like the Johnny Cash tune a lot but I haven't heard that other one at all, I've got to check it at once :). The resemblance is not deliberate, it's just in my veins I guess. My grandpa was a railway man and so were his father and both brothers and I've lived next to a railway station for years, twice. That clickity clack of the railroad track ain't gonna bring my baby back... would be the idea in the next one if I get my penning motor running someday.

Edit: I just listened the R. L. Burnside song and yes, I see what you mean. It was a good one!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work, Juhani! that cord is pretty tangled there....:p:D

JHowdy likes this.
  10. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks Wyn! You would imagine they had invented an Always Straight Cord by now, but nooooo :D.

audept likes this.
  11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Checking my own guitar and singing gear, we've got Big Five-Oh birthday party coming up tomorrow with around 50 people invited. It will be held outdoors on the backyard of the person whose birthday is at present (oh boy, what a silly translation that is. We've got a word for it: päivänsankari, which means literally Hero of the day :) ) and it's going to be a nice warm day. Gee, how eagerly I am waiting for it right now.

Scrh_2214.jpg

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I hope it's a great day for all of you. :)

JHowdy likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Have a great time at the birthday celebration.

JHowdy likes this.
  14. brownie

brownie Synchromatic

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Good stuff JH.

JHowdy likes this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nice.

JHowdy likes this.
  16. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Still alive. It was a long day with a 150 mile drive to the spot and another 150 miles back, but it was worth it. Here I was bushwacking :D with Cousin Mike. We did some 1950's rockabilly & hillbilly from Carl Perkins, Johnny Burnette, Elvis, Bill Haley and Sonny Fisher, plus a few newer tunes from Guess Who. Including the newest song in the OP, of course.

If this IG link works you'll see us performing that tune live:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CC0cvj-gSFV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Scrh_2221.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Trash Kidd, wildeman and KuKuKu like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The main cause of tangled cords is that the user keeps turning in the same direction. The second is not coiling them properly.

18. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Nice Juhani! Great song!

JHowdy likes this.
  19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Some of those cords are almost ten years old. I suppose people keep turning clockwise in the Northern hemisphere :), but I do try to untangle the cords after each use, trying to release the tension at the same time. Maybe I'm no good at it then, but nobody taught me to play either and that's why I keep getting them tangled chords, too :).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    wabash slim and MTurner like this.
  20. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks, Rick! And Rich, Mark, Nigel, Dana, Wyn, G5422T, Brownie and Timex. Sorry if I forgot to mention someone.

I suppose I could add some lyrics to it yet and a guitar/something solo, but maybe in the next life then. Cousin Mike said he could try to add something with a harmonica, we'll see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.