Multiple guitars w/different pickups into one rig for the same show?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by oneforsorrow, Sep 13, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Many bluegrass players still work that way. Marty Stewart and the Fabulous Superlatives do that often. We have a local fiddle fest (nationally renowned) that works that way, and Barbershop quartets do as well.
    If you've got it, use it. YMMV. I still remember when a fuzz was new, and reverbs were new as well. Gads, I'm old.

Tony65x55 and Henry like this.
  2. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm a big fan of the early 2000's era, MFX units. When I have to use provided backlines, I'm able to get my sound by using a MFX pedal. I use Tape Echo all the time and I found that my favorite Tape Echo, was on the Zoom pedals. They also allow you to setup a bank for a specific guitar or amplifier. I can alter the EQ (6 band), output or noise gate, for specific equipment. Plus it has a built in tuner.

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    That may well be a reasonable work around but in reverse as the Reverend is heavier on the bottom.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Truen and musicians performed whole shows without any guitars at all, and still do, but I don't think that is what OP is asking about.

An EQ should work. Programmable if you have more than 2 guitars.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  5. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i’m still struggling with it. my hope is that when i switch from the 95’s down to 90’s on my de i’ll be able to just leave it on the neck pickup - without changing the app settings. but realistically, playing open chords on it are a bit muddy, so the bridge t-armond on that could get use.

now my falcon? might as well only have the neck t-armond.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Have you thought about using a multi-FX pedal? My Zoom G5 has programmable banks of effects. I've got one bank set up just right for my Gretsches, and another bank with different EQ and pedal settings for my PRS. I can switch between them with a couple of foot-taps.

(There are better pedals than the G5, but the basic idea is the same.)

Marv666, chicago slim and gtttrrr like this.
  7. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thank you.I was actually thinking about the Bloom pedal by Jackson Audio as a possible option. A friend of mine swears by it. He also gave me his Belle Starr and judging by the quality of that pedal, I feel like the Bloom would be worth every penny. It's a compressor and not an eq but it does have a 3 band eq on it and I think it may have a way store favorites.

Henry likes this.
  8. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I've been venturing into bridge land on the Gretsch with some comfort. The Reverend Bridge is still a bit much but when I roll off the highs by about 30% it does get tolerable. I'm just drawn to the fatter and fuller sound of the neck and given that I'm half of a duo, it's nice to have the extra body. I need to embrace my rude side and just let the bridge pups snarl!

9. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    If I weren't so happy with the signal chain I've built, a multi-fx would be an option. I've just got so much invested into the pedals I'm using and they totally get me there for 95% of my needs. But I'll bet it's super convenient the way you're running your rig!

Marv666 and section2 like this.
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    nah - that’s what the fuzz pedals are for!

oneforsorrow likes this.
  11. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I hear you! A multi-FX pedal wouldn't suit your needs if you've already got a good pedal board set up. In that case, I like the earlier suggestion to look into an EQ pedal (and maybe a preamp) that you can switch on when you swap guitars.

Marv666 and oneforsorrow like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I believe this is the box he used.
    B1F815AB-0F44-4F25-9AA9-52882F1A2B2B.jpeg

mister rain, oneforsorrow and Jeff67 like this.
  13. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    You don't have to buy anything. All you have to do is adjust the volume and tone knobs on your amp. Figure out at home which settings work best with each guitar and then take 10 seconds in between songs at a gig and adjust the knobs to the new settings when you switch guitars.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  14. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    It's actually more the pedals over the amp. I can deal with the slight volume gain in the amp by just playing lighter but the way the drive pedals interact with the 2 different guitars is the larger issue (and I do rely on the pedals for overdrive). And one might suggest using the volume knob of the Reverend to compensate but it loses something when I dial it back. I'm thinking my 2 best options are a dedicated drive pedal for the Reverend or swapping the pickup(s) in the Reverend. The former being the easier as I've got the pedals on hand.

If I did more of a straight into the amp rig, your suggestions would be a easy fix though.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  15. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Ah, pedals! Of course...Hmm.

You could add treble bleed to the Reverend's volume pots. I added one to my Duo Jet's neck pickup and it gives you higher fidelity volume options.

section2 likes this.
  16. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I think it actually has a treble bleed. I don't lose high frequencies when I dial it down. And while it might just be a matter of degrees ... it's more like it just kind of fades overall. Perhaps I've been dialing it back too much. Or perhaps I'm just being a bit of the princess and the pea (likely the case). I do think for now, I'll just dedicate a separate pedal for the Rev. I'm just so enamored with the Belle Starr that I want to run everything through it.

section2 and BuddyHollywood like this.
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Alternatively, you could put a little line mixer in front and have up to 4 different guitars with equalized gain.

B50481C7-0CB6-4377-B921-B96E14CF865E.jpeg

18. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I saw another version of that late last night when I was following some rabbit down a hole ...

section2 and Tele295 like this.
  19. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I wanted to follow up on this post. I played around with the the pole pieces and the height of the neck pickup of the Reverend and I now have it tonally balanced so that it plays nicer with the signal chain for the Gretsch. It’s still a little hotter but I’m much happier with the sound. The frequency response is such that I can roll down the volume so that it hits the drive pedals softer but still gives me a good sound. It just took some time to fine tune it for my ears.

20. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Still would if I could. Brought only 1 guitar and amp to the last few shows and NO pedals

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.