Multiple guitars w/different pickups into one rig for the same show?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by oneforsorrow, Sep 13, 2021.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Having recently just tried a new pickup in my Reverend (thanks to the generous @drmilktruck), it occurred to me how little I understand them. The HS Filtertrons on my Country Club are wonderful. I have my amp and pedals all dialed in just the way I want them with the CC. But when I grab the Reverend, the signal chain nearly falls apart. The bridge pickup in the Reverend (Greasy T) hasn't ever gotten much use. I've almost exclusively played on the neck (Rev' Tron) the whole time I've had it. And given that it was my only guitar, I had everything dialed in for the pickup and was pretty content. However, now that I've had a taste of the HS Filtertron, the Rev' Tron is too heavy and compressed when I jump back and forth between it and the CC. When it hits the drive pedals, it gets fizzy and loses clarity but gets a touch louder. The pickup I tried to replace it with was a gold foil bridge pickup that I popped into the neck position and just straight into the amp, it was AWESOME! But that doesn't serve my needs. So, I'd like to consider a remedy that allows me to better use the Reverend. I'm thinking of adjusting one of the drive pedals to accommodate it and using that pedal exclusively for that guitar. But, in a perfect world, I'd maybe like to find lower output pickups for both positions of the Reverend. But I'm open to other solutions.

How do you all accommodate different guitars and outputs into one rig within a single show?

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I remember when people had one guitar and no FX (aside from the amp's trem and reverb) and not only played a whole show, but made a whole career out of that basic rig.

loudnlousy, Marv666, doc538 and 4 others like this.
  3. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    And before that, they circled around a single mic with none of the instruments plugged in at all. That’s how my career began — 1 guitar, 1 fiddle, and 2 voices. But then I changed and here I am asking for help.

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My deluxe reverbs have two channels so I have the first channel EQ’d for my Teles and the 2nd channel EQ’d for my Gretschs with Filtertrons.

I’ve dialed in my pedals etc to work great with both varieties of guitars/channels without having to change any settings on them.

Craig Encinitas and section2 like this.
  5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Chet, Scotty Moore, Luther Perkins all used FX as early as the 50’s with a tape echo machine installed directly into their amps. Keith used fuzz pedals in the 60’s and a MXR pedals (carbon copy and flanger) in the 70’s. Waylon never shut off his phazer pedal from the time he plugged it in sometime in the mid-70’s. Davie Allen made the Mosrite Fuzzrite famous. Hendrix used a Fuzz pedal. Bo Diddley used outboard tremolo fx. Dick Dale used an outboard Reverb.

Some people like plugging straight in, some people like adding fx.

Marv666, mr coffee, section2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    There are many experienced purists here (and I'm old but not a purist!) that ignore anything that's not a tube amp and discrete pedal.

But if you can't get a sound you like with a few pedals, try a modeling amp.
    I own two Fender Mustangs: an LT-25 for home and GTX100 for playing out (someday). The GTX100 is fantastic for $500; 100w, 12", tons of amps and effects built in and 200 slots to save your own presets.
    They're worth checking out, especially if they save you money on amps and pedals.

Craig Encinitas and section2 like this.
  7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I always wondered if that was what he was using. It's what made Waylon sound like Waylon.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  8. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Definitely did that with the Quilter but the Magnatone is a single channel. Great option when it’s available though.

9. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Definitely not a purist in that sense nor do I believe those who claim they are but rather they think they are. They just use fewer tools.

I’m pretty happy with my amp and have no plans to swap it out. It’s kind of my dream amp but if that weren’t the case, a modeling amp would offer some solutions for sure.

10. You need that guitar Phil McNight’s got & uses to demo pickups.
    The pickups are mounted to quck change plug in from the back like refrigerator magnets.

11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I come from the one guitar-one amp camp. telecaster and a Vibrolux Reverb served me well over the years.

One of the things I liked about changing up guitars with my same amp is that different guitars made the amp sound different. A big factor in this was the change in the gain structure due to the pickups. In my scenario, I wouldn’t want all the guitars to have the same output level, because then, what’s the point of changing guitars?

Currently, I am using a multiple instrument rig that includes ukulele (w/piezo) and lap steel. I actually have two separate fx chains on my pedalboard, one for each instrument. Both chains terminate in Baggs DI boxes, which then get sent to the board. Sometimes I will bypass the DI for the lap steel and go to an amp like the Vibrolux, but both instruments do not go to the amp.

One I tried to use the Normal Channel on the VR for uke, and the Vibrato channel for steel, but I didn’t like how the “acoustic” uke sounded into the tube amp.

So for two electric guitars, that Normal/Vibrato channel split trick might work, provided you have pedals on your board for the effects on the normal channel guitar.

12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Duane Eddy used a Dearmond tremolo pedal

13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Who did that?

14. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    you might want to try an eq pedal for just the rev - i used one for a while when i’d switch from falcon to duane eddy bass until i finally got over my fear / hatred of bridge pickups

15. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    fear/hatred of bridge pickups -- I can relate to that :)

mister rain likes this.
  16. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

17. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    O Riley and BuddyHollywood like this.
  18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Second that, a dedicated EQ for guitar swap sounds like a great idea!

xtcclassic, Marv666 and mister rain like this.
  19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I love my effects, all colors in the palette. I do enjoy playing straight without pedals time to time, has it’s place even for this avid pedal enthusiast, i consider straight, no pedals to be one of “my tones”,,, but maaan, “from my cold dead hands” would my pedalboard leave my studio. :D:D:cool::cool:

20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Ah, yeah, when switching guitars with a single channel amp it’s tougher. When I was playing thru a Supro Tremo-Verb, I’d have the bass knob all the way down to zero with FilterTrons and then dial it up when I switched to a tele.
    That amp was really bassy though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.