Multi effects floor units

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by gtttrrr, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It runs only one algorithm at a time and while most algorithms have only one effect, there are a few that have multiple effects. E.g. pitch+fuzz, tremelo+reverb, echo+reverb+modulation.

If you have specific combinations you are looking for, I suggest looking at their algorithm list to see if it is covered. I have a stand alone delay and my amp supplies a good bias trem and my always on reverb, so it is not an issue for me.

It also has some nice routing functions. It can be wet only if you run a parallel dry signal. Also has stereo ins and outs. If you don't use stereo, then you can use the extra loop so that the H9 can be in 2 different positions on your board, assignable to each preset. E.g. when you use fuzz or octave, it can be earlier in the chain. If using mods or delay, that can be set to the other loop that is later in the chain.

gtttrrr likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Umm you do have multi effects and a pedal, they just happen to be associated with the amp!

3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Good to know they do run some multiples, always sound great on demos, but never watched them too intently,, never pay that close attention unless I’m shoppin.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hey Butch - you've got a modeling amp.
    Instead of the effects going in a separate floor board they've been put inside the SS amp :D

Butch Ammon and gtttrrr like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I can recommend this Plethora X5 for effects only - has no amp or cab sims.
    And you can get it in an FX loop on most rigs - just can't do it on mine.
    It's cheap ($450) and you get about 25 TC Electronics pedals, plus toneprints, looper and a good tuner.

[​IMG]

ronbo, stevo and gtttrrr like this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Am I recalling correctly, that there is no overdrive available? Yeah, just looked at it, no OD, but very cool all the toneprint pedals available. Hmmmmm that’s tempting. Easier to move around, for sure. Been looking at vids, pretty cool, love the layout, compared to other boards.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The latest update has cab sims and a looper.

ronbo and Waxhead like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes you've corrected me - there are cab sims - I just don't use them is all so I forgot

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Best thing about Plethora is it has no amp sims imo.
    So no crappy digital ODs and distortions that get in the way :)

It's smallish, fits on pedal board well, easy to use, very short learning curve and if you like TC Electronics effects then it's a winner. I picked up a used one for half of retail price

[​IMG]

ronbo and gtttrrr like this.
  10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I really dig the ease of swapping positions of the pedals, and DEFINITELY the ability to store a “plethora “ of diff boards. Very cool. Would be cool if you could name the boards. This seems like a very manageable solution, I may have to begin looking for a used one!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  11. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    It seems like something else they added in an update, according to the FAQ video I watched. They show up rather small under the numbers.

@12:25

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My latest board is dead simple, four effects and a switch to control amp tremolo. I can get a lot out of these effects without becoming overwhelmed by the tech.

8D8D4EC5-4515-4054-8D0B-CB17DD6B9EC1.jpeg

To my sensibilities, that’s the problem. Too many choices can divert one from the path of just finding something that does the job. The tail can begin to wag to dog.
    Variations in power are almost always a problem with the distribution grid. Power companies, which is to say the companies that generate the electricity, are pretty strictly regulated and have to be putting out power that meets the specs.

In some cases, the power provider is also the company that distributes the power and, usually, they are consistent in engineering the system, so that the power coming out of the secondary side of the transformer feeding the customer is consistent and in resonance, which is to say that they have compensated for motor load by having capacitor banks to keep current and voltage peaks within 85% of perfect resonance and that they have automatic voltage regulators in place to keep the levels consistent.

This can change drastically when a community has its own distribution network and the engineering is not up to snuff. I worked in such a situation for years and the power was horrid, with power factors as low as 47%, fluctuations and a transient dropout every morning that you could set your watch by. I ran a computer network in that situation and suffered enormous setbacks, but that was a rare exception, where a community wanted to manage its own power distribution and refused to hold the distribution company to the regulatory specifications.

I live in the country, quite a distance from the generating station and on a sparsely populated distribution system. I have an occasional problem here, but nothing that would rise to the level of effecting how a guitar amp responds. The North American grids are not perfect, but they are pretty good.
    I don’t deal as directly with voltages as you do, but what experience I have in recent years would be similar. 119 to 120 VAC seems to be pretty common.

I can relate to that. I’m on the network side of IT, although I end up dipping a toe into server management from time to time. Music is an anti-stress for me. The effort put into music counters the mental strains of IT work and I really don’t want to do a lot of programming and configuration. This is why I prefer to have someone else engineering when I record. I’m more than capable of engineering a recording, but that draws me back to left brain activity and reduces the right brain creativity of my music.

Occasionally. I’ll have times when my playing is stilted and unnatural. During such periods, my playing lacks creativity and musicality. I think that relates directly to having my mind too wrapped up in the technical and not in the creative and artistic mode. Yesterday was one of those days and it took a while to set myself into the creative mode. To play well, the left brain aspect should be on auto-pilot and the right brain should be free to do its thing.

Facing a modeler or a very complex multi effects unit which requires a lot of forethought and tinkering is not going to help with musical creativity. If all of the programming can be done beforehand and the equipment can be used without any tinkering, it’s fine, but the second you start troubleshooting, your brain has shifted gears and that’s not good for creativity.
    This seems to be one of the best ideas I’ve seen. Five switches, five knobs. It’s really like having five simple effects on a board.

Waxhead and gtttrrr like this.
  13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    NICE! :D OK, now its gotta go on my list

Waxhead likes this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    1) why 2 noise gates running?
    2) WHAT is the reel to reel icon? Looper?

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    1) Naa I took that photo when I 1st put the Plethora on the board and before I programmed it.
    10 mins later it didn't have any of the pedals that are showing in that pic.
    Then I moved it to my 2nd board where there's no MXr Smart Gate.

2) The reel to reel is the Ditto looper

gtttrrr likes this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes you can name each board if you want :)

gtttrrr likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    This is how it looks now on my board no 2
    Doesn't show but from right to left I've got

Morley Wah - Fulldrive 2 - Super Crunchbox >> to Plethora input

In Plethora....
    Sentry Noise Gate - HoF reverb - Helix Phaser - Viscous Vibe - Hyper Gravity compressor - MXR EQ - Flashback >>> out to amp

[​IMG]

Henry and gtttrrr like this.
  18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, watched Hammers video, that is a GREAT addition ! Now I gotta figure out what to let go, to bring that in. Doesn’t seem like much scratch, but 2 kids getting ready to head to college within two years, and simply a hobbyist, so comes to sell, then=buy:rolleyes::(:D.

Waxhead likes this.
  19. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Nice rig!

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    True... Very true...

Look up the Boss Katana series of amps. Every single Boss pedal is actually built inside the amp's computer system (i.e. modeling amp). A few other pedals are included as a bonus, (MXR Phase 90, MXR Dyna Comp, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, etc...). I hate the Auto-Wah or Envelope Filter type of effect, as I prefer to do it by myself, so I keep an old Dunlop Cry Baby Wah on hand, if I need it.

Bank A (1): Clean Channel, with Slapback delay (aka Rockabilly).
    Bank A (2): Clean Channel, with Chorus (aka the Boss CE-2 pedal), for sweet types of 80's music.
    Bank A (3): Crunch Channel, with a hint of delay. I use this for rhythm playing, and mainly for slide.
    Bank A (4): Lean Channel, with a hint of delay. I use this for hard rock/metal rhythm and lead solos.

PANEL (i.e. just what it means - the main "panel" on the Boss Katana). I have "panel" set to "Brown" (aka Eddie Van Halen's trademark sound), and use it for blistering lead guitar solos in hard rock and metal.

Bank B (1): Clean Channel, with MXR Phase 90 effect, on slow. ("Wish You Were Here", "Breathe", etc...) this is my Pink Floyd sound...
    Bank B (2): Lead Channel, with Boss Flanger on a standard "whooshing" effect. (i.e. "Barracuda" by Heart, "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love" by Van Halen, etc...).
    Bank B (3): Clean Channel, with MXR Dyna Comp compressor. I use this for very nice, smooth, subtle, quiet, fingerpicking patterns, for a complete 180° different direction.
    Bank B (4): Lead Channel with Boss DD-3 digital delay, set to a regular delay tempo but with 4 or 5 repeats (feedback setting). This is my Rush "2112" setting.

gtttrrr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.