Multi effects floor units

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by gtttrrr, Jul 14, 2021.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Anyone here give up on dialing in pedals to find “the tone” and just move on to a moldeling floor unit? I have an older Line 6 Pod XTLive, mostly used for recording straight to DAW. Seems like back in the day that had some good, but not great, tones. Seemed like i was always tweaking on that as well, but not quite as time consuming. Seems the frustration with all the possible combinations of really good pedals has me spending alot of time pulling my thinning hair out by the root.

Back in Black and LivingMyDream like this.
  2. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    my 2¢= when in doubt, strip it down to bare bones, guitar & amp, & work your way to what you want from there. I'm a minimalist, mostly, as far as gear goes.

I prefer to get my sound from my technique, mic, & amp. I use 2 pedals for 'verb, gain, & delay. I've applied my harp approach to my guitar tone as well. I rarely use pedals for my guitar rig, just once in a while for giggles. I got lucky that my guitar & choice of amp marry perfectly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Record a solid clean tone to your DAW, add effects sparingly in post.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Not sure exactly what your issue is but ...................starting 20 yrs ago I've been on the digital modeler v analog merry go round x3. I spun off 8 yrs ago vowing never to return to modelling.

I found the wasted tweak time was x1000 more with modelers and I could never get them to my satisfaction.
    With tube amps and analog pedals it's always plug and play for me provided I follow a few basic rules.

- good clean base tone from the tube amp is essential.
    - series loop on the amp to optimise time based effects.
    - use high quality analog stomps that are true bypass and..... never Boss.
    - maximum of 10 pedals on any board to avoid tone suck.
    - minimise a-d-a conversions wherever possible.

Then plug n play - minimal tweaking necessary.
    I'm never going back to modelers or modeling amps :D

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    20 years ago I had an Line6 Pod, now I’m toying with a Hotone Ampero (MP80) One. It reminds me of the Pod in that it has so many sounds available in a compact form factor. But despite the great strides they’ve made in digital sound emulation most of the sounds simply do not blow me away, and the only clear benefit remaining(for me) is the convenience of the compact form factor and the enticing price point. Perhaps it’s purpose is better served used over a full blown PA system, and it’s short comings are down to the user. Probably.

gtttrrr and audept like this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    i do Follow all of those rules, except maybe plus a pedal or 2 (one is looper). Seems when I find the sweet spot, plucking bliss for the day, come back next weekend, sounds like doodoo. With nothing changed but maybe my ears and attitude:rolleyes::eek::eek::eek: I wish I could be a “straight into the amp” guy, but I dig the varied sonic landscape way too much to do that. Quite often it’s where I find the inspiration to keep playing, having a wide pallete to work from. :cool:

7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I like to run full effects in the room, often run “record out” from Boogie Subway Rocket just for that very purpose, to have a clean, unaffected track to work with, while still having the “mojo” of the effects to drive performance. I am purely a hobbyist, so any recording is for my own amusement.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I think I’m gonna plug my XT Live into my board, play with that for a bit, that will likey bring reason back into the picture and I will return to tweaking my high-end pedals:cool::D:D

9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    It's definitely easy to get wrapped around the axle with both modelers and pedals. Modelers because they are too deep and have too much stuff, and pedals because there are a bazillion choices out there these days and a million ways to use and route them. And then there are digital pedals that try to sell themselves and a single type of effect or two, and are themselves little modelers. A modeler would exacerbate your problem, not eliminate it.

The trick isn't in the gear, the trick is training your brain. In the beginning you had a handful of brands and units. They did one thing each, and apparently did it pretty well because now all the effort is in modeling those originals. The normal thing to do even at the professional level was to buy a few Boss or MXR pedals, chain them up, get to work, and not think much about it. There is a time and place where having that level of choice becomes a problem. For me, I had to train my brain to shaddap and enjoy what I had instead of going uselessly down the rabbit hole. My solution is that I build all of my own pedals, based on classic circuits of course, threw them together, and forgot about it. And ya know what? It sounds fantastic!

Of course there is always something like this....your effects in one unit but simple to use...
    [​IMG]

fa57, GreTschocaster and gtttrrr like this.
  10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, solid advice. The one shown, with knobs to turn, is a good concept. The menus rabbit-hole is worse than the knob turning, for sure. Likely just a phase(r) that I’m going through, spending too much time tone-searching.

NJDevil, Highroller and GlenP like this.
  11. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I had a zoom g5n. It was a really cool pedal. Had every effect you could think of. I eventually ditched it though because I couldn’t get that perfect slap echo out of it. Even the effect labeled slapback echo couldn’t do it.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I started with a zoom G2.1u. Nice pedal and with some tweaking sounded pretty good for something’s adequate for others. Sadly it was another gateway drug to individual pedals and those to more boutique pedals. Wicked circle for sure. Individual pedals just sound better to me analog better if you are playing Kona studio or home environment but not nearly as important with other people listening who can’t tell the difference anyway. Like others I start with my amp dialed the way I like it without pedals and just add what I need to play. I have too many pedals and never really have more than a couple in at any time and a lot of times none. Seems tue more you add tue more you have to go back and tweak tue others to get the tone you had. Like a Rubix cube every time I add one more it almost always affects every other one. So keeping it simple has been much or satisfying except for effects. I like stacking delay and reverb and trem and auto wah and. And and.

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've heard many americans on forums complain about this variable tone they get from their rigs without changing anything. Then also hear that many of you have variable voltage in your electrical systems and people there need power conditioners to fix the issue.

Power voltage in Australia is non variable everywhere here so we never encounter it.
    Do you have variable voltage in your area.
    If so, that's probably the answer to your variable tone.

My various analog rigs, and I have 4 of em, never vary in tone and all are plug n play :D

NJDevil, LivingMyDream and Bertotti like this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Dunno, good question. Anyone here from the states run a power conditioner on their rig?

15. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Yup. Started with a Pod 2.0 years ago, it didn't sound good but it made a convenient way to get ideas down in a hurry, or practice at reasonable volumes. I've been running an evolving rig based around a 6505+ for a long time, but it's exhausting to haul around, too loud for apartment living and a pain to record. A few months ago I made the move to a Fractal Axe FX III mk ii and I love it. I'm spoiled to my rig and I was skeptical going in, but I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. There's a lot of folks that don't believe modellers are any good. A lot of modellers aren't. The Fractal is. Of course, it still takes a little work, some time spent deep dive editing to dial it in really pays off. The ear candy presets are cool, but I've gotten more from building my own "kitchen sink" preset, 90% of what I play, I could play with this preset. From time to time I'll fire up Axe Edit and tweak something, but it's usually subtle. (It stays connected via USB, I have a 16' cable from my DAW to my rack.) I guess what I'm saying is, you get out what you put in. If you're willing to drop some coin on a high end unit and spend some time to learn how to use it, you will be a lot happier than going to GC and picking up a toy. To put that statement into perspective, I have about $3500 tied up in the Axe, the FC12 and a pair of wedges. I had about the same tied up in the last iteration of my rig.

FractalRig.jpg

(edit - I guess it's not a floor unit...)

-m

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    LivingMyDream and Waxhead like this.
  16. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    That was my problem with them. I had one of these Korg units back in the early 2000's - wasn't bad tone-wise, had some nice effects, and wasn't completely menu driven. But you still had to scroll thru 40 selections to find anything you'd previously programmed into it. 20 of those were useless factory presets I never figured out how to remove, and then you had to remember if that "perfect tone" you'd dialed in was Bank 26 or 34!

All of which was fine for around the house, but who's got time for that nonsense in the middle of a gig? Not me.

[​IMG]

I still have it collecting dust around the house someplace, but I went back to stompboxes after about a year of screwing around with it. Want reverb? Hit the white one. Delay? Hit the blue one. These days simplicity is my key to pedal happiness.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Years ago you would find a 110V line but in the last 15 or so I have not found one that wasn’t 120V. I work in an electrical field so I am checking voltage almost weekly at different locations and have been doing so sonce 1984. That said depending on where you live and how the power has been throttled we do experience occasional blackouts or worse brown outs. I run my Kronos and computer through battery back up UPS. I have not found a need to run my pedals through one, yet.

gtttrrr and Waxhead like this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Usually ~117VAC around here. ERCOT sucks, as the world learned earlier this year, and I keep anything of importance on a UPS and use a PermaPower conditioner in my rack. (I scored several that were destined to be abandoned along with some old racks some years back out of a data center where I worked.)

-m

gtttrrr and Waxhead like this.
  19. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I use a combination of analog pedals and a multi-effects pedal. I use the multi pedal primarily for ease of changing to preset tones for certain songs while gigging. But there are some songs where I don't use it at all.

gtttrrr likes this.
  20. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England

All of my playing at home, in the studio and live is done with a Line 6 POD HD 500 running into a Blackstar HT Club 40 MK II. I got tired of taking old valve amps to gig and having the sound change every night depending on the size of the room and how hard I have to drive the amp to get the required volume. Now, I take the POD and the Club 40 and my sound is consistent at every venue I visit. Plus, as a back if the amp ever blows, I can run the POD straight into the PA...

It took me a LONG time to get a sound I was happy with on the POD but, once I dialed in what I wanted, it's on the money every time.

Byron, mr coffee, gtttrrr and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.