Muddy/Compressed Sounding Blacktops...

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Take the guitar and one of your amps back to the dealer and have him listen while you play your 5420 and another one through the same amp at the same settings. If The other one sounds as clear and jangly as what other folks are experiencing, exchange. If they both sound muddy to you, it's not the guitar for you. Get a refund. Buy a Tele.

P

I may try this. Unfortunately the dealer is a 2.5 hr drive for me... lol. And I have a Tele ;) Love it. But Not my go-to ax.

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Don't ask. But ppl talk of improvement. Also the bass side muds up a little so lowering the coiil/body and raising the poles on that side will help clear them up.

yeah that's what I've heard too. Guess it's worth it. I have tried this too though and it didn't seem to do much for clarity. But I can always try it again. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

Lizardkinged

Friend of Fred
Oct 5, 2009
Michigan
yeah that's what I've heard too. Guess it's worth it. I have tried this too though and it didn't seem to do much for clarity. But I can always try it again. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

Sometimes its a significant difference in bass/treble side heights. Just a matter of flux/magnet sound vs coil sound. The pole screws on filters are super long. Ive seen some players lower the coil and extend the poles a quarter inch or so.

Bill

Country Gent
Oct 16, 2012
Cambs, UK
In that demo it sounds as much that the other pups are higher output? Like the distortion is more driven.

I dunno about this mud, I use my 5420 with varying levels of filth for SRV-ish blues and one thing it isn't is muddy. Just seems to me something must be wrong with the guitar, or the amp just doesn't suit it - did play a Blacktop Pro Jet expecting a similar great sound, into some smallish modelling Fender combo; man it was disappointing. Thought maybe the guitar didn't like the amp somehow but whatever it was lifeless and ordinary. Or praps it needed a wiring swap as per Marlin.

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah see that's why I'm so confused! I play it through a vintage '78 Fender Princeton Reverb... and I'm baffled. :/ I also play it through a Vox AC4TV at my apartment.

Kmonz90

Country Gent
Jan 20, 2013
Minnesota
I can't seem to get the bottom end (mid/low) to be growly and full and clear like I expect a filter'tron style pickup to sound. It all just sounds compressed and muddy. Not jangly and clear and defined like I was expecting.\

Sounds to me like they're too over-wound for you i doubt you will ever get the sound you want out of them without taking about a hundred winds off of them.

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Sounds to me like they're too over-wound for you i doubt you will ever get the sound you want out of them without taking about a hundred winds off of them.

Eh, this is coming from someone who's used to pretty hot pickups. Like, Gibson Dirty Fingers hot... I know that hotter pickups tend to have a bit more of a compressed tone to them just as a nature of the beast. And I know of a few players who use these guitars who's tone I love, which is why I bought this guitar in the first place.