Muddy/Compressed Sounding Blacktops...

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Thanks for everything guys. I don't have a recording setup or I'd try that. And honestly. I'm so discouraged w/ this guitar that I'm strongly considering bringing it back. :/ I hate to say that around here... But it's just been a next-to-cruddy experience w/ this thing. Maybe I'll just try exchanging it... Or I'll get my money back and save up for a proline. I'm just not willing to put another $100 or so and 4 more hours I to this thing. It was something I should have noticed before I bought it but I didn't until I ran it through my rig.

6stings

Friend of Fred
Aug 14, 2010
Norway
Somehow, this reminds me of trying to tweak the gretchbuckers to make them sound good.
If the sound is not what you want it to be, replace the pickups.
I would go for TV Jones.
Try them all, keep those you like, sell the rest.

The Marlin

Friend of Fred
Feb 2, 2011
London...ish
When I first got my Pro Jet, I was mightily p#ssed off by the amount if work I had to put into it, and ranted about the crap quality electronics, and felt utterly jaded by the whole experience.

A year later, I have a perfectly set up, astonishingly good sounding guitar, that I reach for constantly. All the work that I did really paid off, and I truly love this little beast of a Jet now. The bad experience is a long distant memory.

But, at the time, I was all set to sell the damn thing, and be done with it.

There is a lot of sense in going for a Pro Line. But, it's a heck of a lot more money. I adore my Annie, and my Phoenix, but I like that cheap little 'pain in the rear' Jet just as much.

Pots are $5 each. A Compton is $60. A brass nut fitted is about $80.

The improvement in tone gets you into Proline territory, but still at an Electromatic price point.

Go with what you feel is best.

Marlin

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah I think I would eventually be switching to TV's later on anyways. But where my head is at is that even w/ all the extra time and money if throw into this thing, just to get it up to around the same quality as a proline, I'd might as well just buy a proline and not have to worry about all the hassle.

The argument can be made that all the hours and time spent on personalizing and replacing things w/ better quality components builds a bond between you and that glorified chunk of wood. But I'm not sure if I've got the time or energy to make that all happen at this point. I'd honestly hate to sell it/return it. I definitely think I would miss it. But at the same time I feel like I'd bond just as well (if not better) w/ a proline that's already set up the way I want, so all I gotta do is play.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Gotta give it some time still. I've only had the guitar for about 10 days. And there's still some things I can try with it. Wish me luck.

old mark

Gretschie
May 27, 2013
Fabulous Hatboro, PA
I find that even a SLIGHT adjustment of the pole pieces and pup height makes a big difference far more so than my Gibsons with P90's.

The BT's are very responsive, IMO, and I like them more all the time...still have not installed my preferred Ernie strings, either...every time I pick it up to change them, I start playing it...

Maybe next week...supposed to rain Sunday till Thursday. Practice time.

mark

Staggerlee

Country Gent
Jul 19, 2012
Twin Cities
If you don't like it, stop complaining and return it. People usually bond with Gretsches right away or they hate them. You seem to be the latter. Your expectation is to have it up to the standards of a pro line. Not gonna happen. Skimp on paying now and you end up paying more later.

Mikus11

Synchromatic
Jan 4, 2012
London ON Canada
Yeah I think I would eventually be switching to TV's later on anyways. But where my head is at is that even w/ all the extra time and money if throw into this thing, just to get it up to around the same quality as a proline, I'd might as well just buy a proline and not have to worry about all the hassle.

I've been there. A used proline like an Annie can be had for as little as $1200 and you wouldn't regret it.

And its a guitar with resale, unlike the killing I took on my modded 5122

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
Heck, if your dealer has a return policy for another one, I would try it out.

Not dissing ProLines, but these 54xx w BT's are darn good sounding. No need for pup upgrades, just a bridge IMO

jflintmac

Country Gent
Jun 20, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

The quality vs. value of a proline are 2 very different things. No matter which financial level you choose to play in, the rules are very much the same. A set of pickups and a piece of Ebony hardly justifies an additional thousand or two, on the cost of a guitar. I am not saying not to buy a proline, but that you can't expect perfection from a proline either. Both guitars have the same rules and both require that you may have to set them up to your own personal preferences in order to bond with it. I have heard of people swopping out their Filtertrons for TV's and I have heard of people swopping out their TV's for Filtertrons.
The only thing that these 2 situations had in common is that both people likely thought that buying their proline was going to be the end of the rainbow.
What I am saying is that if the guitar plays, acoustically, up to your standards, then it likely has the ability to be a great guitar.
Sure, it is going to cost you money, but you have to remember that you saved a big pile of money when you bought the Electromatic, vs a proline, so you should have some room to work with???

6stings

Friend of Fred
Aug 14, 2010
Norway
... guitars have the same rules and both require that you may have to set them up to your own personal preferences in order to bond with it. I have heard of people swopping out their Filtertrons for TV's and I have heard of people swopping out their TV's for Filtertrons...

Exactly!

And swopping TV's for other TV's too.

cwegy

Gretschie
Nov 29, 2012
Hamburg/ Germany
Good Comparisson Lee. That's the same that I hear. Blacktops are clean pretty o.k. but distorted they are not really differenced and sound muddy. One day I'll get som TV+ for my Pro Jet to have a hotter Guitar with good distorted sounds.

Staggerlee

Country Gent
Jul 19, 2012
Twin Cities
I stuck a blacktop in my MIM strat, bridge position, second guitar is Gretsch Tim armstrong with HS filters and the TV + is a pro line 6120.

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
Thanks for the comparisson Staggerlee! Yeah I figured the pickups were just not to my taste. But I do know they could still sound better on this guitar than they do right now. I'm trying to figure out some different stuff with my amp settings and signal flow in my pedal chain. I feel like this is part of my problem since I do have a fairly busy pedalboard with lots of cables, and when I plug straight into an amp it doesn't sound as muffled/muddy. I may have to dig up my old buffer and get that running my signal through better.

And I haven't pulled any of the pots out yet. I was definitely planning on switching those out though. As long as I decide to keep it... But why would Gretsch put a 250k pot in a humbucker equipped guitar in the first place?? That doesn't make sense to anyone... lol

Lizardkinged

Friend of Fred
Oct 5, 2009
Michigan
Don't ask. But ppl talk of improvement. Also the bass side muds up a little so lowering the coiil/body and raising the poles on that side will help clear them up.

Phelonious Ponk

Gretschie
Dec 5, 2012
charlotte, nc
Take the guitar and one of your amps back to the dealer and have him listen while you play your 5420 and another one through the same amp at the same settings. If The other one sounds as clear and jangly as what other folks are experiencing, exchange. If they both sound muddy to you, it's not the guitar for you. Get a refund. Buy a Tele.

P