Mr. Twangy's Blues Courses

lmolter54

Electromatic
Dec 28, 2021
Tampa, FL
Has anyone purchased Twangy's Rockin' The Blues and Blues Power courses? I spent a small fortune on Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed, and although I learned the rudiments of the blues, a lot of it was about solos and licks that I found difficult to master and didn't find musically interesting. I'd rather have the knowledge and work out my own solos. Then... I stumbled across the MyTwangyGuitar website and I want all of those lessons ( I already purchased "Let's Go Everybody" and "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"). I'm most interested in the blues lessons because they're more up-tempo and rock-and-roll-ish than Griff's. No disrespect for Griff Hamlin because he put together a veritable bible for the intermediate blues guitarist. I, unfortunately am not yet at intermediate level. I also would like to have a few solos under my belt that are fun to play and fun to listen to.

Anyway, I'd like to know honest assessments from those of you that have purchased those lesson packages.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Has anyone purchased Twangy's Rockin' The Blues and Blues Power courses? I spent a small fortune on Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed, and although I learned the rudiments of the blues, a lot of it was about solos and licks that I found difficult to master and didn't find musically interesting. I'd rather have the knowledge and work out my own solos. Then... I stumbled across the MyTwangyGuitar website and I want all of those lessons ( I already purchased "Let's Go Everybody" and "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"). I'm most interested in the blues lessons because they're more up-tempo and rock-and-roll-ish than Griff's. No disrespect for Griff Hamlin because he put together a veritable bible for the intermediate blues guitarist. I, unfortunately am not yet at intermediate level. I also would like to have a few solos under my belt that are fun to play and fun to listen to.

Anyway, I'd like to know honest assessments from those of you that have purchased those lesson packages.

I learned a lot from Griff’s lessons and it was cool that he comments in the lesson web forum. I finally learned how to count. I mean really figure out the timing of a written break. Simple stuff if you studied music, I never did.

Having said that, I found most of his leads to be rather sterile. Very disciplined resulting in a lack of feeling at times.

I still recommend his lesson program because there is a lot of great info there.

Good luck with your lessons search

lmolter54

Electromatic
Dec 28, 2021
Tampa, FL
Having said that, I found most of his leads to be rather sterile. Very disciplined resulting in a lack of feeling at times.

Agreed. I'm moving away from exclusive single-note leads to double-stops and single notes ala Chuck Berry. Mostly in A. I don't play professionally - just by myself or with my brother-in-law.

lmolter54

Electromatic
Dec 28, 2021
Tampa, FL
<update> I went ahead and purchased the Root of Blues Guitar which included the Rocking The Blues and Blues Power lessons. All the material is good rock-style blues leads and rhythm lessons. If you were expecting material that sounds like BB King, or any other performer that specializes in single-note leads, this is not it. The solos are mostly double-stops and are fashioned more towards the style of early rock and roll and rockabilly. For me, this is great! The tablature has music notation as well, but there are no chord symbols over the notation. In most cases, since this is a blues collection, it's the standard I-IV-V progression, with a few deviations. Most can be figured out if you have a family member that wants to strum along while you grind out the solos. And the backing tracks are top-notch.

The videos are in M4V format with chapter markers for each lesson (and most lessons have 2 or 3 parts -- rhythm, solo1 and solo2). The chapter labels in the Rocking The Blues video are labeled with the song's title and version, e.g., "Knock Me Out V1 (and V2 and V3)". The chapter labels in the Blues Power video are, alas, just "Chapter 1, 2, ...n)". This makes it harder to find a particular lesson to view. I think there are utilities to dump the chapter info from a M4V file if you want to research this. A PDF with a listing would have been a welcome addition. But, all in all, I'm very pleased with Mr Twangy's blues course.

Emmett

Gretschie
Feb 25, 2013
New York / Iowa
I recently purchased a complete Blues Guitar Rhythm and Lead course from Texas Blues Alley (TXBA) As a self-taught barely intermediate guitarist I have to say that I am finding it to be very thorough and exactly what I was looking for. The focus is on Texas blues but really the goal is to provide a solid fundamental base so you can translate what you feel to the fretboard and create from there. TXBA is a subscription service, and the owner is pretty clear that he thinks this is the best value for access to all his lessons but on rare occasions he will offer select lessons for sale to download. You can check out his Free Lesson Friday videos on YouTube to see whether his presentation is right for you. I hope this helps !

lmolter54

Electromatic
Dec 28, 2021
Tampa, FL
I recently purchased a complete Blues Guitar Rhythm and Lead course from Texas Blues Alley (TXBA) As a self-taught barely intermediate guitarist I have to say that I am finding it to be very thorough and exactly what I was looking for. The focus is on Texas blues but really the goal is to provide a solid fundamental base so you can translate what you feel to the fretboard and create from there. TXBA is a subscription service, and the owner is pretty clear that he thinks this is the best value for access to all his lessons but on rare occasions he will offer select lessons for sale to download. You can check out his Free Lesson Friday videos on YouTube to see whether his presentation is right for you. I hope this helps !
Yeah, this site is great. I'm not a fan of subscription services, per se, and I wish that more sites would allow purchasing of courses piece-meal. But, I'll check it out further.