MOVIES

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I ended up buying the new Dune from amazon, only $12 for the blu-ray/DVD/digital version and it came in the mail today. Excited to watch it tonight!

I'm waiting for Part Two and the box set. I still buy DVDs. My feet don't stick to the floor at home, I don't have to deal with idiots on cell phones, the popcorn's much cheaper, and I can turn the sound down if I want.

"In a world...."
Wow, I am stunned. This movie is incredible, one of the best I've seen in years.
As a fanatic I avoided all press reports of this movie and am glad I did. Had no expectations or preconceptions, just watched it with an open mind and it amazed me.
It was perfect, there was nothing I didn't like and nothing I thought important left out. It was real, unlike the stylized Lynch version. I could almost smell the spice and grit in the air. Wow.
Loved the thopters! The overall look and tone couldn't be better, I think Frank would be proud. Cinematic masterpiece.

And yes, it is great to watch it in my living room. I've got a surround system and the sound is fantastic but I especially like being able to pause for the bathroom and backtrack over things I want to see again.
With my hearing loss the captions help too, I've gone to movies where I could not make out dialog and that is just wasted money and two hours of frustration.
I'm watching the special features and they are explaining all the facts that are important to understanding this story, great idea for those who didn't read the books.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Wow, I am stunned. This movie is incredible, one of the best I've seen in years.
As a fanatic I avoided all press reports of this movie and am glad I did. Had no expectations or preconceptions, just watched it with an open mind and it amazed me.
It was perfect, there was nothing I didn't like and nothing I thought important left out. It was real, unlike the stylized Lynch version. I could almost smell the spice and grit in the air. Wow.
Loved the thopters! The overall look and tone couldn't be better, I think Frank would be proud. Cinematic masterpiece.

And yes, it is great to watch it in my living room. I've got a surround system and the sound is fantastic but I especially like being able to pause for the bathroom and backtrack over things I want to see again.
With my hearing loss the captions help too, I've gone to movies where I could not make out dialog and that is just wasted money and two hours of frustration.
I'm watching the special features and they are explaining all the facts that are important to understanding this story, great idea for those who didn't read the books.
The new version had actual ornithopters, no "weirding modules", and had a great overall feel to it. In Lynch's defense, the heavies were truly despicable, and the sound track was great.
Both are worthy of watching. I'd gotten an A in a uni sci-fi class taught by a friend of Herberts---"Dune" was half of the class.

I use captions a lot as well. My wife says I'm hard of hearing---or something like that. She mumbles a lot. I'm somewhat amused by computer generated captions due to the massive mistakes they make. With the grandkids yelling and such, the captions help.

Last edited:

6187LX

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Marineville
Best version of Roadhouse was from 1948 with Ida Lupino and Richard Widmark. The coolest bowling alley in the world too. And Ida can sing....

Runamok

Country Gent
The problem is that even the major networks are going to a pay subscription service along with too many others. I'm paying thru the nose now, and when this cable contract period is up, I'm cutting everything but internet. I'll see what happens afterwards.
One of the broadcast channels is rumored to stop at 10 PM & shift their other programming to the streaming service. Oh Joy, More copper-infused “infommercials” to pay for.

Runamok

Country Gent
...and the medicine commercials! Ask your physician!
New medicine.
What’s it for—go ask your doctor, we don’t know, we just sell this crap.

I want to be the guy who makes up stupid names for drugs. Have a satchel full of them better than the — they pick.

If you don’t know what it is, you probably already got the condition. A sure sign is when you make typos & egregious misspellings on internet forums.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
New medicine.
What’s it for—go ask your doctor, we don’t know, we just sell this crap.

I want to be the guy who makes up stupid names for drugs. Have a satchel full of them better than the — they pick.

If you don’t know what it is, you probably already got the condition. A sure sign is when you make typos & egregious misspellings on internet forums.
All of them have a logo that has no real meaning to the medicine, some pointless multicolored squiggle. The names all have Q's without U's afterwards where a K or C would do, and X's pronounced like Z's. Why use an X when we have a perfectly good Z? Aside from the ambiguous technical name, that may or may not have anything to do with the chemical makeup of the drug, they then have another ambiguous trade name that has nothing to do with anything. Design by committee.

Then, there's the outrageous price. The US apparently makes up the profit for the drug companies that sell the drugs in other countries for 5% of what they cost here,

Last edited:

Latest posts