Mountain Lion/Cougar Stalks Man For 6 Minutes During Run

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Oct 13, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    They're also referred to as panthers and pumas.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I remember when I was in my twenties being chased after by a few cougars. Wait...you’re talking about wildlife?

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Yup, protecting her cubs.

Cougars, Mountain Lions, Panther, etc are supposed to have 40 names in English alone. It holds the Guinness book of records for animal with the most names. I’ve read over 200.

Bears I know. But I’m not sure how you’re supposed to act once confronted by a Cougar. @thunder58 likely knows.

ishtar, thunder58 and ZackyDog like this.
  4. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    @Merc

With that avatar, I knew you would drop by.

[​IMG]

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    This was a case we had back in 2009 . It lasted about 2 years and people still ask me about it today . I know mostly all the people mentioned . Milbry Polk is a direct descendant of President Polk , she graduated from Harvard and is a rifle marksman / woman . The initial complainant , Grace Knowlton ..... well let me just leave it at that . The people who live there have so much money that a few of the lonely housewives flew to Africa to speak with experts on black panthers . One woman had " scat " in her freezer and asked me if I wanted to see it ..... I simply said " no , that's ok " ( and I laughed and laughed ..on the inside )

http://palisadesny.com/news/black-panthers-palisades/

This is the area where my dear friend Didi Conn lives along where Al Pacino , Chuck Barris ( now deceased ) and Bill Murray live also . Past neighbors included The Isley Brothers , Margot Kidder , Lorraine Bracco , Mikhail Baryshnikov , and Beverly D'Angelo . We never found any credible evidence of 2 black panthers

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Merc and 5120mantis like this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That'll get the adrenalin goin', eh!:eek:

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    P.S. ( continued from my above post )
    Grace Knowlton has 2 standard black poodles , there a good size ( like that of a panther ) 2 years later she called my voicemail and left me a message . She asked me to stop by as she has 2 baby lions on her front step .............. I kid you not , this is the yard of Grace Knowlton's home . She's an artist ( sculpture ) She makes these " steel balls " .... when she sells one , there called " spheres " ..I can't even pronounce the word . This is what I deal with folks ....... IMG_2138.JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  9. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Saw that earlier today, scary. I prefer the Black Panther in my music room :)

After a close bear encounter and a couple of very strange dudes one time, I always carry pepper spray and a sidearm in the woods.

Jeff67 and Tony65x55 like this.
  10. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Props to that guy for standing firm, not running away and living to fight another day. I'm sure that was a massive adrenaline rush.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Thing is, he was in the cat's territory. She perceived him as a threat to her cubs. Totally understandable reaction. Don't forget, the critters were here first. We keep encroaching on their territory. Some have learned to live near/with humans (rats, racoons, coyotes) others just ignore us, and others run farther into the wilderness.

Out of all of the species on earth, how many have we actually domesticated? Even when domesticated, all of them will revert to their wild state in a generation or two.

Jeff67, Merc, thunder58 and 1 other person like this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    That hiker needs to learn to hike with the fear. To befriend the fear.

SAguitar and Stefan87 like this.
  13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sorry: the complete video is in the OP and here:

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    No question, that is not how they hunt. They are stealth hunters and as a general rule if you see a cougar it is not hunting you. Having said that, protecting either cubs or its kill is likely what is going on in the vid.

Merc likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would guess that there were cubs involved. I would also opine that the Mountain Lion was frightened, but motivated by protective instinct. If she’d wanted to attack him, she would have just attacked. I think it was mostly a show of force, to let him know not to ever come back. It probably worked.

What I find interesting is that Mountain Lions can be tamed quite effectively. There’s a YouTube channel called I_Am_Puma about a fellow in Russia with a pet Puma. That thing is more tame than my Siamese. It’s about as docile as any feline I’ve ever seen.

JC higgy and Merc like this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Forget about using a tree as a getaway; cougars are amazing and swift climbers:

Merc likes this.
  17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I love felines of all sorts. They amaze me with their grace, beauty and intelligence. Cougars are not much different from a house cat. They behave similarly when tamed, they purr and make a sound which isn’t much different from sounds house cats make. They are such beautiful animals ... but I wouldn’t want to deal with a wild one.

But then again, there’s been a Jaguar spotted just a few miles away from where I live, so a cougar would be less of a problem than a run-in with a Jaguar.

RomanS likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    he wore Sex Panther, what did he expect?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stefan87, SAguitar and BCRatRod73 like this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe drop the damn phone and pick up a rock or branch, what a ****...

20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    There goes that idea. My uncle in Canada survived a bear by climbing a tree. He had just finished fishing and was walking back when they crossed paths. He only survived by climbing a tree. For over three hours the bear attempted to climb up and get him. He had some Off insect repellent on him that he’d spray into the bears eyes to make him drop down. The whole tree event lasted 2-3 hours. He literally lost his voice for days from screaming for help.

new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.