Most Recognizable Guitar Sound

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    His use of the Strat trem' is exceptional.

Roger49 and audept like this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Jeff Beck, more so in later years

3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A couple rhythm focused players:

Andy Sunmers of the Police. Imo he is the true master of delay and chorus in modern music. He is also probably my favorite guitar player that I don't want to sound like.

Cory Wong. Big fat chord fragments and crazy sense of time.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I will post a couple I think are representarive.

I am just a garden variety Dead Head, but this is a fan favorite track from a fan favorite show.

For studio recording, try this.

drmilktruck and TubeLife like this.
  5. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Jeff Beck.
    I remember the first time I heard Tina Turner's "Private Dancing" on the radio. When it came to the solo I just stood open-mouthed saying "That's Beck! Gotta be Beck! Can't be anybody else!"
    Thing is with Jeff is that he can play most styles but his sounds and playing styles are easily recognised.

Hank Marvin too. Like most truly great players he's been copied by thousands of budding guitarists because his sound was so unique - Brian May was one of those budding guitarists until his own band developed in the direction it did!

6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    John Scofield. He has his own sound even when playing classic guitar on "Quiet".

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Except it’s not Jeff Beck. The song was written by Mark Knopfler and he played the guitar part.

https://www.markknopfler.com/discography/tina-turner/

8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Not according to Wikipedia.
    Knopfler wrote the song but the solo on Tina Turner's version was Beck. Just listen to it, it can't be anybody BUT Beck!!!

"The song was originally intended for Dire Straits' 4th album Love over Gold. The instrumental track was recorded, but Mark Knopfler considered the lyrics unsuitable for a male singer, so the track was cut.[1][2] Legal restrictions prevented the original recording being used by Tina Turner; so, two years later, it was remade by members of the group. Terry Williams replaced the original drummer Pick Withers. Knopfler did not appear on the track and was replaced by Jeff Beck. Turner told DJ Roger Scott:

Roger [Turner's manager] knows Knopfler's manager Ed Bicknell, and Bicknell said, 'I think Mark has a song that could fit Tina, that he never used because he thought it was a song for a girl.' Mark produced the song and sang it, and after he did it he felt that it was not a song for a man, so it was just sitting on the shelf… He gave me the track and I copied it with Dire Straits people – most of them. At first I was going to try to just put my voice on Mark's tapes, but there was a record company problem, so we got Mark's musicians, Dire Straits, and went into the studio... Someone said, 'Why did you select "Private Dancer"? It's a song about a hooker. Is it because you've been a hooker?' And I was shocked... I didn't see her as a hooker... I can be naive about some of these things. But actually the answer is no. I took it because it was an unusual song. I'd never sung a song like it. And I wish you could hear Mark's version of it. He's got a very English-sounding voice... and it was really quite beautiful.... A very arty song... so I put the old soulful touch on it.[3]

Mark Knopfler has said the song was ruined due to "them drafting in Jeff Beck to play the world's second ugliest guitar solo".[4]"

There are also countless other references to Beck's solo on the track to be found by just googling "private dancer and jeff beck".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I stand corrected, thank you. It doesn’t sound like Knopfler you are right.

10. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Hank has said that when he got his Strat in 1959 it was fitted with tow-ropes for strings, probably 13 - 52 or even heavier but with the trem he was able to bend above a semi-tone to a full tone and he was able to add vibrato which helped give the Start that fuller sound that became his trademark.

11. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes, yes and yes again. He is a big fave of mine too. The fills he plays between chords sound like nobody else.

Henry likes this.
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I wonder what solo Knopfler thinks is the first ugliest one.

drmilktruck and Henry like this.
  13. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    I will go with Jerry. Many of the other greats mentioned have their own unique sound, but I'm not aware of anyone who has been able to copy Jerry's style or musical vocabulary. The live Scarlet/Fire posted earlier by Henry is a great example of Jerry's musical signature, which also extended to the instrument he was using, which in this case I believe to be "Wolf".

TubeLife likes this.
  14. gretschbo

gretschbo Gretschie

Jun 10, 2008
    London Ontario Canada
    Bo Diddley in his pre-hat days - Chuck Berry - Les Paul

15. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I agree. His tone was there regardless of guitar type, amp or heck even instrument. His tone comes through on pedal steel in " Teach Your Children" by CSN

TubeLife and Henry like this.
  16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I'm listening to Randy Bachman's radio show here on the CBC right now and Albert Collins is playing. He definitely has his sound. Come to think of it, so does Albert King.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I've always been able to pick out Brian May's tone.....as well as Tony Iommi. But, there was a sound that several of the guitar players from the San Francisco area had in the mid to late 60's that's always been very recognizable......specifically bands like Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, and others.....their lead guitar tone was always very recognizable to me.

new6659 likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I agree - George's slide work and tone are very different from a lot of the other slide players out there. The minute you hear it you know it's George or someone trying to sound like him.
    Also his use of the Rickenbacker 12 in 1964 was a new sound at that time. When you heard that sound you knew it was a Beatles record.
    Funny how a year later Roger McGuinn started using that sound on Byrd records and made it his own thing. By that time George had moved on to SGs, Strats and Sitars...:)... but hey George did it first. Songs like If I Needed Someone, A Hard Day's Night, What You're Doing are great examples of that sound.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  19. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I recognise Brian May on anything even when he is not playing The Red Special.

I would also say the same of Mark Knopfler whether on acoustic, resonator, strat or anything else his playing and choice of harmony and melody are totally unique.

new6659 likes this.
  20. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    There are many great guitarists who are instantly recognisable after playing a phrase or two but not so many who can be recognised by a single note. Of the latter I would place Duane and Hank Marvin at the top of the list.

Alanqa and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.