Most Recognizable Guitar Sound

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 9, 2020.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Loved that part with Tom Morello. I saw him play in some TV concert and totally different - very much of a lead player and way more skilled than I thought he was. And in interviews, he's such a wonderful guy.

BTW - Rick Beato has become one of my favorite guys on Youtube.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Have you seen the one where he reimagines the solo from Stairway to Heaven, as played by EVH or Eric Johnson? And EJ plays it himself. Cool stuff.

mjm0, Tadhg and moltenmagna like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    No, but now I'm going to go find it - great idea and thanks!

Okay - just listened. Maybe one of the best youtubes ever. Loved Phil X's version - he's crazy in the head I think, but really delivers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    mjm0, Tadhg and drmilktruck like this.
  4. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Rick plays a Peter Frampton style solo too. I loved the recording of the underlying rhythm track.

stevo likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My own first choice would be Larry Carlton. I first took note in the Steely Dan and Donald Fagan recordings. when it comes to modern sounds, Larry is the guy I try to emulate.

Chet is my hero and he always got an amazing and unique sound. The clarity and the crispness of his sound have appealed to me for as long as I have known who he was.

Duane has been part of my listening experience for a very long time. He defined the guitar sound of his era.

There’s no one quite like Hank Marvin. What I find fascinating about Hank’s sound is that he produced it in such a different manner. When reverb was almost exclusively a studio effect, he was obtaining an expansive sound using delays of various sorts and experimenting with interesting combinations which produced unique sounds. The amazing thing is how Hank’s use of delays melts into the overall sound, until he mutes a note, and then you hear just how complex the effect really is.

Roger49, audept and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That was interesting.

Beato, IMO, did a credible job of capturing Frampton’s sound and feel. That’s probably as close as we are likely to get to an answer, in view of Frampton’s Inclusion Body Myositis.

Phil X did a credible job of copying EVH. Unfortunately, I have a very difficult time of getting past Phil X’ way of presenting himself. He has always come across to me as a cross between a cheeky 14 year old male and a large mongrel puppy that has yet to be house trained. He definitely knows how to play, but I find his lack of dignity unsettling in a 54 year old.

Eric Johnson seems to have crafted a universe of his own. His use of spread-triad arpeggios is mind blowing. In the fifties and sixties, Johnny Smith was blowing minds with his use of arpeggios and incredibly fluid playing. Eric Johnson has taken that a step further, and just like I finally mastered Johnny’s arpeggios, I’m working on Eric’s.

So his solo stands out for two reasons. While the first two solos were basically (very competent) impressions of other players, they were impressions. There’s no telling how the late EVH would have actually approached it, so there is, at least, an extra translation layer, as Van Halen’s ideas were filtered through Phil X’ consciousness and Frampton’s ideas were filtered through Rick Beato’s. (Both of these were great efforts.) But with Eric Johnson, it’s the real thing, and a beautiful thing at that.

When Chet Atkins was known as Mr. Guitar, he was quoted as saying that if you want to hear a really good guitar player, listen to Johnny Smith. He was 100% right. The amazing thing was that Smith himself came across as understated. The first time I met him, I thought he was just a guy hired to man the counter at a music store. I would never have imagined that he was a frighteningly good player.

Eric Johnson strikes me the same way. When Rick Beato interviewed him, he came across as mora of an academic than as a performing artist. Then, he’d play something that only a handful of people could equal, as if it were nothing special.

The original solo on Stairway is a masterpiece. I’ve never learned it end-to-end, but I have at least analyzed it and played a passage or two. Page displayed exceptional skill and taste in this solo. Did he realize, at the time, that this song was destined to be anthemic?

mjm0 and drmilktruck like this.
  7. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It'd be interesting to hear a jazzer's take on the solo.

8. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Lots of great examples here. I'd add Luther Perkins.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would consider myself a Jazzer.

To me, it sounds like Johnny Smith, brought forward. I heard an interview with Eric Johnson and he listed influences such as Bill Evans (piano) and Paul Desmond, who are both significant influences for me. I believe he lists Smith as an influence as well.

Now I love that music, but its chief appeal would be to my parent’s generation. Very few people are able to find an audience for Standards, these days. It’s dinosaur music, no matter how much I love it, and that’s significant, because the energy of a live performance flows in two directions. If the audience is bored, the whole performance is compromised. I’ve often quipped that I dreamed of being a national caliber Jazz guitarist, until I found out that I’d have to take a significant pay cut. Even at a local level, I wouldn’t want to play Jazz, because I can’t afford to pay people to come and listen.

So, I would see Eric Johnson as being strongly Jazz influenced, but expressing it quite differently. I suspect that he cultivates a degree of mystique and an air of enlightenment in his public persona. His brilliance as a player can’t be denied.

I will, however, contrast that with Larry Carlton, who is considered a Jazz player, but has gravitated to a Fusion sound. I respect him equally as much as Eric Johnson. I would say that Carlton has reached a different bargain with the audience. He was a fixture in the recording studios in LA, and later in Nashville. While both are exceptionally gifted players, I would suggest that Carlton markets himself as having a broader appeal while Johnson favors technical depth.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, he has a unique effects-driven sound that nobody else could ever get away with 'cause they'd be accused of ripping him off.

11. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Jesse Ed Davis.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Did we say Hank Marvin yet? I might have missed it.

audept likes this.
  13. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Travis comes to mind.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Mark Knopfler stands out.

jfgesquire, Robbie and drmilktruck like this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That was really excellent. Some serious talent there.

Maxadur, Robbie and drmilktruck like this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep!

17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm certain I could pick out Garcia's playing in a blindfolded test because my entire body reflexively lunges to change the station the moment I hear that sound spill out the radio.

Maxadur and drmilktruck like this.
  18. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    The timing of its release was incredible - the day before Eddie passed. No one could've known, but for those of us who saw us the day it released, it made Eddie's passing all the more shocking, as he was front of mind in a positive, youthful, energetic way.
    Fantastic, fantastic video, and I hope he continues with the concept.

Maxadur and drmilktruck like this.
  19. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    HaHa that’s good stuff!! My entire body also reflexively lunges to the radio but instead, I turn it waaaay up!! What ever floats one’s boat is a beautiful thing!! Stay positive! :)

20. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What would be the definitive Dead song to showcase his unique sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.