Most Comfortable Electric Guitar To Play Seated?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Aug 5, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Indeed!
    The stupid placement of the outputjack makes that one unplayable seated (if you do not used an angled plug).
    But none-the-less: I would love to own such an instrument. Really.

2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Exactly why I have a "big & tall" office chair in front of my pc- I can sit Indian- fashion in the chair with a guitar in my lap.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My acoustics are only as comfortable as the chair is roomy, arms on a narrow chair not so much no arms or a wide chair and my 00018 little Martin and evening the Gretsch Penguin rancher are all very comfortable which is a good point all my guitars can be comfortable all depending on the chair I am sitting in.

Perry Bryant likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I must admit to having a bit of an embarassment of guitars (about 30 at last count). I play them all while sitting, and find them all fairly comfortable. Yes, Teles and Strats are plenty comfortable to play while sitting.

That said... the MOST comfortable for me are the smaller semi-hollows, of moderate bout width and depth (like about 13.75" x 1.5" ish). Those would include Tele Thinlines and ES-339's, due to light-weight, good balance, and moderate body-size. And the ES-Les Paul falls into this category, also.

ES-339 and Tele Cabronita Thinline
    [​IMG]

Tele Thinline '69
    [​IMG]

Tele Britt Daniel Thinline body w/Fender Special Edition Ebony American Pro neck:
    [​IMG]

Es-Les Pauls are very comfortable, as well. 13.25" x 1.9" bout, light weight, well-balanced!
    [​IMG]

Of them all... the ES-339 is certainly neck and neck for first place in comfort. Light weight, well-balanced, 13.75" x 1.75" bout. Not big, not small... just right.
    [​IMG]

Most of my playing is done sitting in an "office-type" chair without arms.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Perhaps everyone should show what they prefer to sit in or on. I am usually sitting or laying on my bed or a stool. I would love a nice armless chair I could angle back, maybe not a recliner but a variant.

new6659 likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

Fairly inexpensive office type chair - very comfortable. No arms. I also use a footrest, which is wide, with padding on each side of rollers. Rollers feel good to rub the feet on - without shoes, of course. You can see it under the music desk.

Chair is $79 at Ikea - adjusts for height, back can recline or lock, swivel seat.
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/flintan-office-chair-vissle-black-60336844/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    audept, drmilktruck and Bertotti like this.
  7. marcello252

marcello252 Electromatic

May 31, 2020
    Italy
    Fender Jazzmaster. It was born to be played seated, the shape is functional to let you reach every part with the hand, with the comfort cuts in the right position, and it's perfectly balanced this way

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice setup!

DHart likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks, Jim. My music room is small, but a comfortable place for me to hang out, make music, surf the web, work on guitars, and occasionally take a nap! The recliner gets the most use.:D

[​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. wizard_23

wizard_23 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't own a 6120 DC, but I can imagine this. I notice my Annie (2.5" thick) is more comfortable to play sitting down than my 2.75" thick guitars.

My current most comfortable is probably my ES330. Teles and other solids are too small, I think I slouch playing them sitting down.

11. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    yup.. my Jazz sits like a good boy. Nicely weighted toward the body so i can grab my beer without worrying and that bevel you speak of is 'butta smooth and comfy

*discharging tube amp caps* :D:confused:
    not funny but seriously funny!

12. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I was thinking about this yesterday and my es 335 is definitely giving me back ache

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Dimensionally, the 330 is pretty similar to the DC

I had an ES 340, which is visually indistinguishable from a 335. For reasons which evade me, I recall that I never found it all that comfortable to play.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  14. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Out of the guitars I own, this Hagstrom Impala is really comfortable, Not too big, not too small with all the contours in the right places !

Attached Files:

new6659 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That sunburst is gorgeous.

jfassett likes this.
  16. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    "Thinline-style" but with contour on the back is quite comfortable when laying back in a recliner - light-weight, and compact enough to fit with you in a recliner.

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, with aged violin finish. This also has the benefit of having the most beautifully-finished frets of any guitar I've played.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.