Most Comfortable Electric Guitar To Play Seated?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Aug 5, 2020.

1. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    8669D711-2024-4E46-BD73-D0193DB47301.jpeg The Explorer shape sits on your lap perfectly and supports the forearm Amazingly well.. Agronomic perfection.

Jeff67, drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got arthritis in my knees and my lower back at the hips. It hurts to stand for any length of time, so, seated is my preferred playing position. As I play acoustics usually, any regular guitar is comfortable, or as comfortable as it gets.

3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

You might not think it but a Firebird is also quite comfortable to play seated.

upload_2020-8-6_0-5-58.png

Jeff67 and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve always had an interest in Firebirds. It’s an amazing design.

new6659 likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    This was really an ergonomic exercise. And it’s damn near perfect for my delicate 5.8’ ish physique.

I built protos out of dense blue styro first. Key was how to angle the Gibson scale neck with my arms, so the guitar sits in front of the body instead of veering off towards either side.

Firebirds, I adore the design, but the neck ends up way to the left of my body. I have a 32” scale bass that strains my back and arms in the same way. Firebirds and Explorers are really (ergonomically) most suited for players 6’ feet and over.

6. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I think the Flying V is the winner here.

loudnlousy likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree!

Stefan87 and thunder58 like this.
  8. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep! I find the Billy Bo really comfortable. Looks a bit flashy for my lack of talent but it feels great :)

thunder58 and audept like this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Always found a Tele comfortable to play seated

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  10. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I agree. In the days before mine was stolen, I almost always played it sitting. Perfect balance- not neck- heavy at all. I sure miss it...:(

new6659 likes this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Any 6120 for me sits well,and although i don't own one....yet;),Jazzmaster and Jaguar's feel pretty comfortable .

But i get along with most geets sitting though.

12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Tele for the couch straight up, the fact the bridge sits a bit further back compared to my jets mean I can even recline back and still be play comfortably enough to the point I could fall asleep.

Any other chair then anyone really, even the hollow bodies at 2.75' wide are still comfortable.

Most uncomfortable guitar as much as I hate to say it is the Penguin, and the only reason for that is not the melita bridge as I can work with that easily enough, it's the stupid arm rest that digs straight into your arm because for some unknown reason gretsch can't match it to fit the body of the jets so both pointy ends stick up off the guitar, unless you fork out for a custom shop one which is perfect, just can't work that one out myself, I'd take it off but the thing is I actually like the look of the armrest on the guitar, but any way.

Penguin likes this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    For the covid time being, I only play (practice) sitting. All of my guitars are comfortable, but for different reasons. But most comfortable? I’d have to say my Tele, though that is not the one I pick up and play most often.

14. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I found when sitting I didn't need my strap on my shoulder so I slip it off my shoulder and around my back. Stops my guitar from sliding
    I found when sitting I didn't need my strap so I slip it off my shoulder and around my back. Keeps my guitar from sliding, especially when playing an Ovation

15. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I agree..I have a Breadwinner and a Deacon 12 string.

GlenP and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I think only the Deacon came in a 12 string. The Breadwinner first came out with 6 pole pick up, as they called them. In 1975 they switched to 12 pole pickups. Also the end of Feb 1075 they went to 5 digit serial numbers.

drmilktruck and GlenP like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For me it goes to my newer Offset Tele Fenders. I’ve never played the Jazzmaster. This Jazzmaster body balances perfectly while sitting on its own. Add to it the comfortable contours and belly cut and it feels like a dream to play sitting down. The first one felt so instantly right that I immediately sought out a second one.

80BAE322-376A-4ABE-8CE7-CD3FE443112D.jpeg

18. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Any archtop or acoustic works better for me seated than any slab. The Explorer being an exception.
    Given the choice tho I always prefer to stand and play.
    My rhythm is better when I can move around.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I played a mahogany one when they first came out and was astounded by how nice it felt and how well my right arm was supported.

Merc likes this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    oh gawd I'm in love w that one on the right!!! I should have NEVER sold my shell pink rutters telemaster or the rutters sonic blue cabro!! At least they were adopted by a member here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Penguin, drmilktruck and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.