Most Amazing Acoustic You've Played?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Aug 22, 2021.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    On a ski trip to Utah some years ago, I stopped in a guitar shop that was a Breedlove dealer in SLC, I got to play the most amazing 12 string there, no longer in production, the Breedlove Master Class Classic XII. Don’t see too many of those around these days.

https://reverb.com/p/breedlove-master-class-classic-xii-natural

But I remain happy with my Breedlove Atlas Series (MIK) 12 string jumbo, it keeps me happy, and I still have a happy buck in my pocket after paying for it!

IMG_8722.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well for me it will no doubt be a Jumbo. Probably my black Martin J40 MBk. Bought it new in 1989 (made in 88). Been with me through a lot.

Had it when I compared two 000-28 EC models to choose between. They sounded quite different. It was like, this one has a little more bottom end, but the other one is more articulate... then I picked up my old guitar, and it had all the sounds I was saying I wanted lol. Oh, I bought the 000-28 EC anyway (the less boomy, more articulate one). Love it, but my J 40 blows it away. What it does do though, it does quite well.

One other possibility, my Maple Guild F412. It just chimes and rings so beautifully with 12 strings, Sitka Spruce top with Maple back and sides. Bought it about 4 years ago, it is used from the year 2000, built in Corona, CA.

While I've not played a Gibson J 200 in 33 years (pretty sure I tried one when I bought the J40), I have always wanted one. Maple body. Will eventually get one if I live that long (bid on a couple last year, should have bid higher!). But yeah, it's gonna be a Jumbo regardless.

3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

20180729_202041.jpg 20200214_105744.jpg 20180725_131353.jpg 20180725_172900.jpg 20180729_202021.jpg Drats, having a ton of trouble uploading images, and my posts keep disappearing... I'll try again.
    1989 Martin J40M-Bk and 2000 Guild F412.

Well, the order is messed up, can't seem to fix it. Maybe if I weren't posting from a phone...

4. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Never getting rid of my DRS2 Martin, that thing is incredible in too many ways. That said, I've quite fallen for the Yamaha FG3, that thing is amazing. I love how it comes without any hardware so I can put a Pure Mini in without the extra holes and controls. Way better neck than my Martin too.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I remember the very first 12 string that impressed me - Neil Young was playing it in a concert and I vowed to buy one. It was a Guild much like yours here. I had a chance to get one along the years and chose not to. Mistake. Since then, Taylor has also made a stellar sounding one and it's a toss up for me which one to buy. But the Guild will always seem to be the magic one.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 09.50.28.png

6. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Still loving the Sigma though, looking at Baggs pickup systems for it now.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Obvious, but I will second the "should have" for the L03. Sorry....

mrfixitmi and Ricochet like this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Probably a $5,000 Breedlove I tried out at a local shop, circa 2014. I don't remember the model, but it was one of those with the additional top-side sound hole, projecting sound straight at the player, something Breedlove seems to have moved away from in the last few years, as far as I can tell.

It was an amazing guitar, a joy to play, and as fine an example of craftsmanship you'll ever find.

And it solved that question for me - what's a $5,000 guitar really like? Answer: Really, really nice!

I'll never own something like that. In real life, I'm pretty happy with my recent used J-35 purchase and my other more modestly priced acoustics. They do the job I ask them to do. And that's all I really need.

But that Breedlove - I played it for 20 minutes 7 years ago, and I still remember the experience. That's some kind of impressive.

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I know the feeling. I played an amazing and Goodall and Collings in the same sitting. All were in that price range and all were amazing. But the Lowden blew me away. I've also played a couple of Froggy Bottoms and they were killer.

mrfixitmi, blueruins and radd like this.
  10. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Played 'em all, and found myself still searching for the "one". Primarily an acoustic player I have bought some really sweet instruments (and still love 'em) over the 60 years of playing but was still looking.
    This year I finally found it - made by Furch guitars out of the Check Republic. Holy cow - puts anything that I've played to shame - sustains forever - build quality is unsurpassed and balanced tone across all strings. I have a 6 and a 12 string. My life is complete...LOL

11. afire

afire Country Gent

For me, it would be a toss-up between a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and a Martin HD-28VS.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've played the Martin HD-28VS and really liked it.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, this was the prettiest, Custom Gibson J45.
    Sounded nice, wouldn't stay in tune.

580C1F7F-FE3B-4D08-93C1-E73F989B800C_1_105_c.jpeg

14. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah Breedlove makes some nice stuff. I've only ever played some of their less expensive offerings; when I was looking for a modestly priced acoustic electric that I could use on some gigs I was doing at the time, the Passport Concert was far and away the best I could find within my budget.

-m

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. SweetYoungTwang

SweetYoungTwang Electromatic

Aug 18, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 67 Gibson J-50 that I don't like because the neck is too narrow for me. I mean it's like a banjo neck at the nut. It's also deeper than I like.

How is this possibly relevant? Because both of our recording engineers think it's the best sounding acoustic they've ever heard, and almost everyone else who's ever played it loves it. :(

I don't get it, I don't even like the tone as much as my much less "desirable" late-90's Martin D-16, which has much deeper bass response.

I guess I'm just not a slope-shoulder guy.

The fiddler in my band really loves it and worships at the altar of Gibson fretted acoustic instruments. So I might just let her use and and then sell it to her eventually. I paid too much for it and then had a bunch of work done on it, so I can never get back out of it what I put into it. :confused:

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  16. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    B4EE9B3F-D14B-455F-A6E6-D112E221955B.jpeg I’m amazed by all of them every time I play them.

17. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I’m still kicking myself for not buying the HD-28V.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

19. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I'm very fortunate to say the best acoustic I've ever played is my Martin 000-42. I wanted a 000 sized with a V neck and tried a few models but the only one that felt right and sounded right was the 000-42, which was far more than I wanted to spend, but after a lot of back and forth with the owner of the shop (The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA), he cut me a very sweet deal and it was mine. I had an LR Baggs Anthem installed and it sounds great through my AER Compact 60/3 as well.

The 000-42 is very big sounding for a small bodied guitar, with rich lows and sweet, complex highs. The rosewood back/sides don't have quite the midsized of my 1956 000-18 (Mahogany back/sides) but there are still plenty of minds to help it cut through. The action is relatively low yet it plays super clean and is a joy to play.

A little blingy, but new... I play Gretsches so a little bling is fine!

mrfixitmi, stevo and radd like this.
  20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    With a description like that ya better and some pics, :)

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.