Most Amazing Acoustic You've Played?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Aug 22, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wildeman just happened upon a gem lately in an acoustic guitar. This got me thinking - what is the most amazing acoustic you ever played? Could be one you own, could be one. you played in a shop but didn't buy.

For me, it was a Lowden very similar to this:

https://www.maplestreetguitars.com/show_item.php?dep=05&cat=127&item=O-25

The tone was amazing - balanced just the way I like it with a strong but tight bottom end and clear bell like highs. Playability was up there with my Taylor 710 Brazilian. But the projection and tone were off the charts.

mrfixitmi and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Not really what you could call an an acoustic expert by any stretch, or even having played/owned very many. But, my personal best is one of the last Larrivee guitars made in Vancouver. Lucky enough to find it in a store only a couple of hours from me. Rosewood body and it beat every other brand in the store (to my ears) for balance of projection across all the strings. Tone was exactly what I wanted from an acoustic.
    Again, only my personal opinion based on limited exposure.

cheers

3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    The USA Guild 12-string (don't know model) that I found in a shop in Vermont back in the early 90's......it's had me dreaming about a USA Guild 12-string ever since. After trying/strumming several other 12 strings in the shop (including some nice Martins and Taylors), it literally lit up the room and garnered stares from all the other customers present in that small mom and pop store. If I'd had the money, I'd have walked out of there with it...My buddy (who was there) and I still talk about it to this day...lol

4. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    My Lowden o32c 7302C449-C7C0-4BAB-B6C7-634B9D48D6CC.jpeg
    I’d wanted one for a long time, then one night I got to get a short go on Nick Harpers o23 at a house gig, the sound filled the room.
    Mine doesn’t sound that loud but from in front it seems to project in 3D!!

5. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm sure it's my Martin's

7. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Guild, hands down. Puts everything else I've ever picked up to shame.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    My one and only.

'70 D35S

20200709_180108.jpg

9. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

Cool thread stevo,
    I've had some very nice acoustics over the years.
    I seem to recall having a Martin D~18, then an Ovation Custom Balladeer onto a very cool Taylor.
    I finally found the guitar for me, a Martin HD~28.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Collings …not sure of the model# it was in a used guitar shop @2001.

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I played a recent HD28 back around 2010. Very impressive.

12. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    Me too. I can't remember specifics but is was a Collings dread back in '96 or so at a bluegrass festival in east Texas.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’m a simple guy, bling not needed, just some great tone and amazing playability.

My D-18 does it for me.

F2701313-71A7-4A03-B4B9-417CD26E245C.jpeg

Doc is in the background most likely holding what was his guitar of choice back then. Yup, a D-18

82F36C7B-4ED3-4ED8-8EA9-B953C58AB6D6.jpeg

14. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I like Guilds a lot. (old ones)
    But when I got my 51 Gibson LG2 I was blown away. Just a smallish inexpensive (although not now!) guitar. Light as a feather and rings out superb and loud. I had a Guild F20 that I liked when I got the LG2, and the F20 got sold fast....

15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I still remember it 30 years later so it had to be good, mid '90s San Mateo guitar show, '31 Style 2 National Square neck, it was $2500.00 and that was an absurd amount for me at the time. I told the guy i could never buy it and he let me play it for a while anyway. I didn't even own a National at the time so actually seeing them in real life was pretty awesome, they we're incredibly rare, no internet! Within a year or so i managed (with a little help from my friend) to get a '36 Duolian for $1200.00 (crazy money) that i still have, ordered it from Elderly over the phone:D
    Oh, don't think i haven't been ogling the '29 Style 2 at Norms........$5000.00 now:eek: way easier to find one now. Screenshot_2021-08-22-18-07-38-1.png Screenshot_2021-08-22-18-07-33-1.png

16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    My Gibson Hummingbird is incredible. So is my Maton. So is my Martin. They are all different and all the “best” at what they do.

17. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I have an all solid wood Tacoma OOO that hangs next to my work bench. Haven't found anything I like better, but I'm also not really a flat top kinda dude so it's not like I look.

18. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    2020 Taylor 714ce. Magic.

mrfixitmi, JeffreyLeePierre and radd like this.
  19. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    That's tough...the acoustic I've had a crush on for a while is a Martin DCPA4R, but that's got a lot to do with it being a big step up from my Breedlove without being exactly out of reach. I've played a few older Martins that really do it for me, hard to go wrong with a D28. I'm sure there are others out there but I just don't do much acoustic stuff.

-m

20. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not really interested in the acoustic side so I’ve never played a Gibson, Martin or Lowden.
    My Larrivee L02 is the best I’ve ever held. Should have gotten the L03 in Rosewood though. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.