Monkees Guitar Up for Auction

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN

A 1958 Gretsch Country Gentleman used by The Monkees is headed to the auction block​

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/1958-gretsch-country-gentleman-monkees-auction

1652915996807.png

While this auction is for a model used and signed by the band, The Gretsch Monkees model is a damn fine guitar. The company miscalculated by making a high end guitar with Monkees paraphernalia. (The group's fans were teens mostly, who would been better served by a beginner model at a lower price point.) Dan Duffy told me it was one of the best Gretsch models in his time, would have been more successful without the extra stuff. (The 60s Streamliner is a similar guitar that'll cost you much less.) Of all the guitar I sold over the years, I wish I could have this one back.

1652911427406.png

Last edited:

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
A "1958 Country Gentleman" that looks a lot more like an early 60s 6119.

The instrument was originally developed in close collaboration with Chet Atkins and was both the first thinline Gretsch and one of the first models to feature the now-legendary Filter’Tron pickups. 😂

Filtertrons are certainly the stuff of legends as far as that guitar is concerned.

Last edited:

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
Of all the guitar I sold over the years, I wish I could have this one back.
I got a Monkees once that may have been in a flood. It was very disgusting when I got it but I almost managed to get the stink gone. I took Super Tron pickups which were the best aspect (although it was a great guitar generally as you say / Duffy said) and they now reside in my 65 6120. I also kept that thin case but I can't use it as i've never been able to get the stink out of that despite bleach bombing it and ripping out the padding. Too bad as that's the best case for 16'' Electrotone body Gretsches.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Looks like a ‘62 Tennie to me. Nice piece, but I wouldn’t pay $22 k for it.

The Monkees model, from what I can tell, basically became the Streamliner. They moved the pickup and tone switches to the upper bass bout. I used to own one of these Streamliners and wouldn’t mind owning another, but I doubt that I’d be willing to part with the money.

S. Rock

Friend of Fred

A 1958 Gretsch Country Gentleman used by The Monkees is headed to the auction block​

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/1958-gretsch-country-gentleman-monkees-auction

View attachment 181135

While this auction is for a model used and signed by the band, The Gretsch Monkees model is a damn fine guitar. The company miscalculated by making a high end guitar with Monkees paraphernalia. (The group's fans were teens mostly, who would been better served by a beginner model at a lower price point.) Dan Duffy told me it was one of the best Gretsch models in his time, would have been more successful without the extra stuff. (The 60s Streamliner is a similar guitar that'll cost you much less.) Of all the guitar I sold over the years, I wish I could have this one back.

View attachment 181130
Jim,
that's not the one that had that bad neck on it, is it ? do you remember that one ? if I remember correctly, the guitr was at the guitar store that you liked to go to in Maple Grove.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Jim,
that's not the one that had that bad neck on it, is it ? do you remember that one ? if I remember correctly, the guitr was at the guitar store that you liked to go to in Maple Grove.
Good memory, Brent! The one with the bad neck went back to American Guitar and Band in Maple Grove. That store moved to Plymouth for a few years and then to Florence, Alabama!

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Jim,

Good memory, Brent! The one with the bad neck went back to American Guitar and Band in Maple Grove. That store moved to Plymouth for a few years and then to Florence, Alabama!
I played that one. It was a bit of an adventure, to play, that’s for sure.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
yep, you were with me when we saw that guitar. th neck was bowed backward. first one that I had ever seen like that.
Now I remember. That was very disappointing. I had always wanted to play a Monkees model, and it was sad that it was, in essence, an unplayable wreck.

Someday, FMIC/Gretsch will come to its senses and build the Synchro Signature Model, and then the masses will have their chance to have a truly great double cutaway 6120.

No useless mute, and along with that, the ability to place the bridge pickup close to the bridge. A pair of Supertrons. Pickup selector and Tone switch on the upper bass bout. A one piece bridge, a Bigsby and most importantly, trestle bracing. Three finish options, Transparent Red, Transparent Black and Transparent Orange, all over Flame Maple. Closed top with painted F holes. It is the guitar the world has been waiting for. :)

Seriously, my G6119-62T with added Supertrons comes pretty close, at least functionally. It hits pretty much all the functional points above, except the double cutaway and the trestle bracing. If FMIC/Gretsch ever decided to bring out a 6120 DC without the mute, that would be functionally quite close to a Monkees model, and I’d give serious consideration to buying one.