Modifying F-Holes On A 5120

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Okay, the " 5120" Upgrade Ideas" thread inspired me to create this one. I see some folks are modifying the shape of the f- holes and then painting them to match the binding. Others use pin striping, which would be reversible. What are your thoughts, preferably with details on how you did it or would do it?

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
I've seen anti-feedback plugs
I believe " Dougs Plugs " is out of business

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Once you’ve modified the shape of the f-hole, I would think that either paint or pinstripes are simply a matter of comfort level in applying. The modified f-hole is already irreversible so the modifier would either want to hi light his/her work or not depending upon the satisfaction level with the mod.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Okay, the " 5120" Upgrade Ideas" thread inspired me to create this one. I see some folks are modifying the shape of the f- holes and then painting them to match the binding. Others use pin striping, which would be reversible. What are your thoughts, preferably with details on how you did it or would do it?
I've never seen reshaped f-holes, tho that is a possibility. I'd still wonder "Why?"
I have seen pin striping done with a paint marker or the thin tape used on autos.
I've seen anti-feedback plugs
I believe " Dougs Plugs " is out of business
Get an old pair of flip-flops (aka shower thongs) and an Exacto knife and make your own.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Changing the shape of the f holes on a G5120 makes about as much sense as opening the wheel wells of a KIA. Why would you make an irreversible change to a well made product that doesn’t change its performance in any meaningful way? What happens when you decide you don’t like the change?

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

Gregor,

Just my opinion, but stock configured F holes do enough on their own to weaken the top of the guitar.

''Modifying'' the shape only sounds to me like making them larger, not something I would consider doing.

Something else to consider is placement of inner body bridging and bracing, some of which is very close to the sound holes.

Damaging bracing/bridging will lead to real problems, not to mention, seriously de-valuing your guitar.

Suggest finding another project.

Best,

BIB.

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I've never seen reshaped f-holes, tho that is a possibility. I'd still wonder "Why?"
Apparently some folks prefer the more pointed area at the top and bottom of the f-holes on say a 5420 than say the somewhat blunted ones on the 5120 (blow up the pics to see the difference).
I'm not so much interested in that as I am in just outlining the holes to match the binding as in the plc of the 5420 below compared to the 5120. Purely esthetics and pin striping or something similar would make it reversible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-133258_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-133258_Chrome.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220924-133346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-133346_Gallery.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 58

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Gregor,

Just my opinion, but stock configured F holes do enough on their own to weaken the top of the guitar.

''Modifying'' the shape only sounds to me like making them larger, not something I would consider doing.

Something else to consider is placement of inner body bridging and bracing, some of which is very close to the sound holes.

Damaging bracing/bridging will lead to real problems, not to mention, seriously de-valuing your guitar.

Suggest finding another project.

Best,

BIB.
Hey BIB, you posted just before I did where I try to explain, not very well, why people modify the
f-holes. Nothing very dramatic, just a wee bit of reshaping at the corners.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Eeewwwwwwww .......... 🤣
TBH, I'd never wear those things out of the house.
I'd never wear them in the house either, come to think about it.
Listening to college kids wearing those for forty years (flap, flap, flap, flap) convinced me to forgo them. Last time I had a pair I was in the service fifty years ago.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hey BIB, you posted just before I did where I try to explain, not very well, why people modify the

Gregor,

First time I've ever heard of that being done.

BIB

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
if you want to add a simulated binding, and make that shape give the appearance of a more pointy corner, without altering the wood top, maybe try cutting a vinyl sticker with a Cricut machine?

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Gregor,

First time I've ever heard of that being done.

BIB
Here's a recent post that explains and shows the results better than I can. It shows the pointed corners (hope it's not illegal to hijack the post).
It's what tweaked my interest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-180345_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-180345_Chrome.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Here's a recent post that explains and shows the results better than I can. It shows the pointed corners (hope it's not illegal to hijack the post).
It's what tweaked my interest.
Gregor,

I have no issue with the look but keep in mind, as well as cutting the wood, you're eliminating the integrity of the binding.

For what you're getting out of this minimal modification, and the damage you may be creating, now and in the future, I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone.

I'd also be concerned about getting a polishing cloth continually caught on the sharp point and pulling on the point every time the cloth does get caught.

If you crack/split the top of your guitar, you can't un-ring the bell, and paint, will never be binding.

If you really can't live without this modification, I wouldn't apply pressure with any kind of bladed tool. I would use a small drum sander/fine grit, attached to a Dremel, with just enough speed to keep the drum from stalling. Make sure all surfaces are marked/masked, and the guitar is properly covered.

Please be reminded that I did recommend, you leave well enough alone.

Best,

BIB

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Because of the plywood grain in different directions that will be a challenge to cut without splintering and tear out. I cut a hole for a battery door on the back of a
Center block jr with a few drill holes at the
corners and a key hole hand saw to connect the dots, it was not pretty. I cleaned up the edges with sanding sticks and medium and fine grit, but the edge is covered up by the battery door anyway. I would be afraid to cut into the top, but maybe just use fine grit sanding type tools and go really slowly.

C959F84F-4C64-4A82-BAC4-1F2000BC7761.jpeg 2AC28E79-7A02-4436-90DA-A025138A0DC3.jpeg 18FAD883-9ECB-45FE-929D-6FA5346F0092.jpeg

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Gregor,

I have no issue with the look but keep in mind, as well as cutting the wood, you're eliminating the integrity of the binding.

For what you're getting out of this minimal modification, and the damage you may be creating, now and in the future, I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone.

I'd also be concerned about getting a polishing cloth continually caught on the sharp point and pulling on the point every time the cloth does get caught.

If you crack/split the top of your guitar, you can't un-ring the bell, and paint, will never be binding.

If you really can't live without this modification, I wouldn't apply pressure with any kind of bladed tool. I would use a small drum sander/fine grit, attached to a Dremel, with just enough speed to keep the drum from stalling. Make sure all surfaces are marked/masked, and the guitar is properly covered.

Please be reminded that I did recommend, you leave well enough alone.

Best,

BIB
Okay BIB, I've succumbed to your suggestion to leave well enough alone 😔 . To be honest I tried using pin stripe tape yesterday on one of the f-holes. It took me about an hour fiddling with it and coming up with language that I thought I had purged years ago, only to find out that it wasn't going to adhere well enough anyway.
Lord knows how I'd do with a paint brush. Lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's advice both for and against.
Maybe I'll just get a 6120 lol.

Last edited:

fast960

Electromatic
Nov 26, 2013
texas
Okay BIB, I've succumbed to your suggestion to leave well enough alone 😔 . To be honest I tried using pin stripe tape yesterday on one of the f-holes. It took me about an hour fiddling with it and coming up with language that I thought I had purged years ago, only to find out that it wasn't going to adhere well enough anyway.
Lord knows how I'd do with a paint brush. Lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's advice both for and against.
Take the pinstripe and use it to mask around the f-hole, rough up the surface a bit with some 320 grit sand paper then paint your desired color and later remove the masking ..... the pinstripe should adhere better when the area is cleaned with some naptha(lighter fluid) .... test your color before painting you may need to add a touch of brown to the white to get desired tone .... you could also glue in some real binding ... its done in 4 segments and prebent with a hairdryer and taped into place while fitting and then gluing ... the binding would naturally make the area you desired to modify more pointed ....

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

Wise choice Gregor!!

Best,

BIB.

Latest posts