Modding has begun!

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by WingZero, Nov 19, 2021.

1. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Hello Forum,

as I stated in my original post (the one where I introduced myself) I explained that gretsch was not my first pick, what I originally wanted was a 335 semi hollow. Of course, my gf was thinking it would be over budget (she was right) but also that I already had a strat (she does not understand that 1 guitar ain't enough!)

anyway, I had tried the Epi 335 and I did not like it AT ALL

Stumble upon a 5622 electromatic gretsch and I was really impressed, just did not like the color... I must have been biased a little by the 335 styling, anyway, I then stumbled upon a Streamliner 2622T in Flagstaff Sunset (also call red) and I was shocked at the good quality VS price... never seen that before, played super well, but it had to be modified - especially the pickups, they were not to my taste.

So. I've changed them for Bootstrap PAF (sacrilege) style and the rock n roll is in the house, Also I have change the pickups screws to give it a slight sobber looks (and more 335ish I know...)

Next, I've just received my Gotoh locking tuners so I'll change that probably over the weekend too, I have to say in what the 2622 offers, the tuners are probably the only thing that is really bad, no precision at all.

Did my first few gigs and it sounded/played so well, it did feedback, but nothing I couldn't handle easily.

Now I'm starting to like the gretsch look, so I'm thinking of changing the pickguard for a Silver one like on the red panther. Not 100% sure yet, Any other Mods I should consider?

Pictures:

Attached Files:

Zeek, drmilktruck, thunder58 and 6 others like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the mods, looks good. Like the pickup mod. Nice amp too.

WingZero likes this.
  3. kdm1218

kdm1218 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2021
    TX
    Looks great! Thanks for not helping my want to acquire still more guitars ;)

WingZero likes this.
  4. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That's a fine guitar! You might want to remove that rubber-thingy from the Bigsby-arm :), but everything else looks good. And after all, it's your guitar, and if you like it , that's all that matters! Enjoy this beauty in good health!

5. :) It occurs to me I’ve never seen a guitar with a salad bar. ;)

6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was considering a 335 as well. Then, I happened to pick up an Historic 3140. Never looked back. Better price, superior sound.

7. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    A guy from Taylor guitar once said to me ''how many guitar does a person need? Only one more''

Yes! I've been thinking about it, I was just wondering if it would be hard to put back if I ever find it feels wrong... but I don't like how it looks so I might just do it anyway

Lol what? :p

Yup, not only will I not look back, I'm actually now thinking gretsch guitar are better made (especially for the price) than a lot of others.
    I have a Fender thats high specs, it plays marvelously, but at the price difference, the gretsch would be a better choice for most!

new6659, kdm1218, Floo and 1 other person like this.
  8. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    unfortunately, the amp is not mine, its just better looking than my Quad-Cortex (floor modeler)

9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Compton compensated bridge and a new nut. Streamliners are awesome!

WingZero likes this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Still one of my favorite Streamliner colors. I fancied having one for awhile (and I even made an offer for one to a guy in the aftermarket, but he didn’t really wanted to sell it) but then the vintage bug have bitten me so I bought a Rally (very similar in shape and features).
    Yours looks great, and FWIW I totally approve the “335” mods. :)
    I never liked that pickguard though, so that would be my choice for an easy mod.
    Everything else looks just great! :D

11. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Zero fret nut replacement, work really well

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ah yes , I see your girlfriend has met my wife ...:p
    Beautiful guitar and I love the color . Mods ..... strap locks are a must and have you ever seen https://bricksbiggsfix.com . In all honesty , I've never had a guitar that needed one due to the Bigsby there made for , but I hear they do wonders . Made by one of our forum members too

Runamok likes this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Also a Reverend soft spring. An inexpensive and excellent mod.

14. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    I agree with you, I largely prefer the Electromatic (more gretsch) pickguard, My big interrogation was should I keep it black and 335ish, or go toward silver (red panther style) and keep it gretschy... still thinking about it, but it will be done!

Never heard of that, is it like a steel nut?

Is that to make the bigsby smoother? never heard of

Runamok and stiv like this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks good, I like the black pick up screws.
    Just out of curiosity what put you off the Epi 335, was wanting have a try of one this weekend gone but didn't get to a shop.

16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Makes it less stiff. It's a 10 dollar mod, great bang for the buck.

WingZero likes this.
  17. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    not sure how to delete a post

18. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    great question as the epi (inspired by gibson) has great reviews everywhere and is definitely looking good.

2 things mostly - not sound related, the epi does sound great stock

1- The material of the fretboard, I'm not sure what it was but it felt dry AF, like if I was playing on plastic or a very cheap guitar. I know there are some oils that can be use to bring back the life out of woods but it felt very bad to play on it. The 2622 I bought is from 2016, from what I've read it's rosewood, whatever it is, it feels much better.

2- The setup, I ain't gonna name the store, but the setup was definitely ''out of box let me tune it for you'' and it made playability quite so-so, nothing to make someone uncertain change their mind.

I was really looking forward the 335, but the only thing that came to my mind after playing it was ''it feels cheap''

Never that crossed my mind with the 2622, I did not like the pickup for what I play, and the stock tuners are meh, but that's it, finish is great, pots feels good, neck and fretboard feel really nice

Stefan87 likes this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I own two G2622s and agree that they are the best ES-335 clones I could find at a reasonable price. Way better than the Epis I've tried.

My first was the regular G2622 WS and I am thinking of upgrading the pickups to something more PAF. The second is a G2622T P-90 that absolutely kicks ass.

I like the rubber condom on the Bigsby.
    I'm OK with the stock tuners and bridge but will upgrade if I ever feel the need.

I actually shuddered when I saw that straight plug coming out of the output jack! You gotta go to a 90 degree plug and add a jack plate. I'm surprised I'm the first to say anything.
    If your strap fails and the guitar hits the floor that plug will punch the jack up into the body, I've seen pics.
    Much cheaper and easier to add a jack plate when new and never have to worry about it.

In this thread I explain my easy way of installing a plate. Gonna do a Gretsch build | Page 2 | Gretsch-Talk Forum
    Sorry if I seem pretentious, we just put a lot of importance on the plates around here.

20. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Weird, I just noticed that the write-up I did on installing jack plates was in your other thread a month ago, LOL!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.